THR Promod/Sportmod race

gen11

I thought that it was a great idea, resulting in a good show and a fun race for all. Clearly these are two completely different machines and it showed. I'd like to hear what the racers and fans thought about the race and if it could be done again if the situation arose. With car counts in both classes low it may continue to be necessary. The average spectator probably won't know the difference between them anyway. I sure don't like bringing a knife to a gunfight but I look forward to trying it again.

Please no bashing and keep it civil.

Next THR Sportmod race. September 10th. Don't miss it.

It was obvious the 3 pro mods had more power coming off the turns. In the turns they looked close. Id say add some weight to the pro mods. Maybe start them in the back. they have enough power to wait for a clean pass. I wouldnt have enjoyed watching 3 pro mods race, but then it was kinda like watching 3 pro lates race anyways.

there were actually 4 promods the 10 had to start at the back because he signed in late, I think is the reason he started back there and not up front with the other promods. The only problem with x has to pass y on the outside. Is y then never gives x the outside lane and therefore holds up the faster car. I think they were scored separatly so they shouldn't race like they are scored together. My opinion is most of the sport mods run pretty close race time as the promods do... let them race each other and either take away radios from promods or add radios to sportmods. But only when both have low car count.

only when car counts are low....and point blank ,PERIOD we need mirriors.

i've never lost a race after taking the white flag leading. that is really kinda eating at me.

I do agree that mirrors would be nice. I have a spot mirror for the left side that comes in handy. Without a right side view it is hard to know whether a car is making an outside move or just looking. Could cause a wreck. This isn't dirt racing where your car is yawed and you can get a better view of what's going on. There is a down side to everything though. Mirrors usually mean you gotta buy more bumpers. How do we deal with that?

I agree that we shouldn't run together unless one of the classes doesn't have enough cars. But what is that number? Having 2 classes on the track will always change the race's outcome no matter what you do. Only thing I might have done different is give trophies and victory lane celebration to the winning Sportmod and Promod. That might have happened, I don't remember. Got my bell rung on the last lap.

About the Promod's power, not sure that was the issue for the Sportmods. I couldn't get any forward bite. More power can't fix that. It was cool to watch the Sportmods wiggling all over the place while the Promods just drove away like they were glued to the track. Better suspension geometry would fix that. Not saying that we should change our cars at all. Just making an observation.

The only time I really even saw the front runners was under caution. The way my car was handling, I was just happy not to get lapped.

I do agree that mirrors would be nice. I have a spot mirror for the left side that comes in handy. Without a right side view it is hard to know whether a car is making an outside move or just looking. Could cause a wreck. This isn't dirt racing where your car is yawed and you can get a better view of what's going on. There is a down side to everything though. Mirrors usually mean you gotta buy more bumpers. How do we deal with that?

I agree that we shouldn't run together unless one of the classes doesn't have enough cars. But what is that number? Having 2 classes on the track will always change the race's outcome no matter what you do. Only thing I might have done different is give trophies and victory lane celebration to the winning Sportmod and Promod. That might have happened, I don't remember. Got my bell rung on the last lap.

About the Promod's power, not sure that was the issue for the Sportmods. I couldn't get any forward bite. More power can't fix that. It was cool to watch the Sportmods wiggling all over the place while the Promods just drove away like they were glued to the track. Better suspension geometry would fix that. Not saying that we should change our cars at all. Just making an observation.

The only time I really even saw the front runners was under caution. The way my car was handling, I was just happy not to get lapped.

You guys might be fighting a losing battle.. Its a fun class to watch and would be awesome to see 16-20 of you sport mods out there but youve got to pull in the guys from dirt.. Maybe throw up $1500 to win once a month and make that the big show to draw in guys.. Lets face it, dirt guys love the oppurtunity to make a show for big money.. I know you guys have to be getting bored running a 6 car race most weekends, but I may not be seeing things correctly but the only thing that fixes this problem is $$$.. If I remember correctly back in the hay day of TAMS the big dog shootout had a B main and that was the most dirt cars we ever had come run with the class at one time.. Big $$$ is why they showed up..

You guys might be fighting a losing battle.. Its a fun class to watch and would be awesome to see 16-20 of you sport mods out there but youve got to pull in the guys from dirt.. Maybe throw up $1500 to win once a month and make that the big show to draw in guys.. Lets face it, dirt guys love the oppurtunity to make a show for big money.. I know you guys have to be getting bored running a 6 car race most weekends, but I may not be seeing things correctly but the only thing that fixes this problem is $$$.. If I remember correctly back in the hay day of TAMS the big dog shootout had a B main and that was the most dirt cars we ever had come run with the class at one time.. Big $$$ is why they showed up..

Your absolutely right. THR and A-Line stepped up on short notice and put together a nice purse for Aug 27th. No entry fees I believe. Maybe someone out there can make that pot even bigger in the future.

This is the feelings from lots of Sport Mod guys that i have asked if they think about running there... When a date is picked, does THR look to see what races are happening in the area??I am talking about looking at DIRT TRACKS, if you are trying to get a DIRT car to come...This week when we saw the invite,Most will go to Edna to race for $2500 to win and good purse down...Then Labor day Boyd has $3250 to win with good all the way down...Next day Crandal has $4000 to win and good all the way down....I think you will see about 50 to 75 at all three tracks...And another TURN OFF for many in the class is being there ALL DAY,NIGHT....We show up at 6p.m. and gone by midnight...Not all shows, but most....We would be glad to support THR if dates were picked to not conflict with what we already do...And i hope some thought goes into the amount of time a car needs to be there..That is the BIGGEST thing i hear from dirt sport mod racers....Frank Torres

This is the feelings from lots of Sport Mod guys that i have asked if they think about running there... When a date is picked, does THR look to see what races are happening in the area??I am talking about looking at DIRT TRACKS, if you are trying to get a DIRT car to come...This week when we saw the invite,Most will go to Edna to race for $2500 to win and good purse down...Then Labor day Boyd has $3250 to win with good all the way down...Next day Crandal has $4000 to win and good all the way down....I think you will see about 50 to 75 at all three tracks...And another TURN OFF for many in the class is being there ALL DAY,NIGHT....We show up at 6p.m. and gone by midnight...Not all shows, but most....We would be glad to support THR if dates were picked to not conflict with what we already do...And i hope some thought goes into the amount of time a car needs to be there..That is the BIGGEST thing i hear from dirt sport mod racers....Frank Torres

There seems to be a big dirt race every weekend. Hard to schedule around that. I commend the dirt for being able to do that. Y'all race hard and have few off weekends. Recently dirt drivers have done well on asphalt. We look forward to seeing y'all when can make it. With as few races as we have I'm surprised none is trying to get both dirt and asphalt championships. IMCA points are set up where you don't have to make every race at the same track. I would sure try it.

....We show up at 6p.m. and gone by midnight...

One of the things I dislike the most in modern asphalt racing is the idea that we need to be there all day saturday, as well as friday night practice.

When we went to Pleasanton Saturday, we followed Tator's trailer with Johnny's car in and were followed by Pat Lyons. All after 6PM.

Getting there late must work, Mike Lyons won the Street Stock race, and Johnny ran second in Sport Mods to pad his points lead......... and neither car had nary a scratch on it.

And spare the "we gotta have practice to get our setups right" argument. All ya'll daddys did it without friday night and noon saturday practice.........

Think you need to study the IMCA points system....At a local track, if you miss just one race, you probably wont win the championship....On the National leval, you better race two times a week and all the extra shows you can....When Johnny finished 4th in the nation, he raced I37 every race, Corpus every race,Waco if there was a rain out here, Killeen if Corpus rained out...He won the Championship at both Corpus and I37 that season, and still finished 4th in national points.....Frank t

....We show up at 6p.m. and gone by midnight...

One of the things I dislike the most in modern asphalt racing is the idea that we need to be there all day saturday, as well as friday night practice.

When we went to Pleasanton Saturday, we followed Tator's trailer with Johnny's car in and were followed by Pat Lyons. All after 6PM.

Getting there late must work, Mike Lyons won the Street Stock race, and Johnny ran second in Sport Mods to pad his points lead......... and neither car had nary a scratch on it.

And spare the "we gotta have practice to get our setups right" argument. All ya'll daddys did it without friday night and noon saturday practice.........

AMEN!!!!!

Think you need to study the IMCA points system....At a local track, if you miss just one race, you probably wont win the championship....On the National leval, you better race two times a week and all the extra shows you can....When Johnny finished 4th in the nation, he raced I37 every race, Corpus every race,Waco if there was a rain out here, Killeen if Corpus rained out...He won the Championship at both Corpus and I37 that season, and still finished 4th in national points.....Frank t

That what I meant about the IMCA points, you don't have to race at only one track. In fact, you better race twice if not 3 times a week every chance you get. But how many of the national points guys even enterain the thought of coming to asphalt? My point was that if you miss a Saturday you can make it up at another track or on a big holiday weekend when they race on Sunday. I never understood race all you can and drop all your worst races. Win the championship with all wins. Seems to me: advantage big money teams. Count your bad ones too and see how that shakes up the points.

Come play for a day. It won't hurt.

By the way, if you get the cars that your running against in points to come with you, the points don't move.;-)

Apparently it's very hard to get people to race asphalt with Sportmods. I even offered to pay pit passes on July 9th at CC Speedway hoping to get some of the THR guys or dirt guys but nobody took me up on the offer. I'm going back to dirt now, I would rather be 10th in a 24 car race than 3rd in a 6 car race.

Heres a dirt guy's take on this. I went to THR two weeks ago and watched, this was the first asphalt race I had been to since Longhorn speedway.(shows how long it had been)

The only real racing was win the second place car thought he could pass so moved outside then had to get back in line somewhere around fourth or fifth place, other than that pretty much finish where you started (other than Jason who got booted and didn't get his spot back).

I guess I have two points to make

1) dirt guys race two-three even four wide the entire race, every now and then it will be a one groove around the bottom track but that does not happen that often. So, getting them to go from that to a train race is gona be tough. My 10 year old told me he thought the races were boring untill a car lost its water on the track and spun the entire field out, luckly only contact was made between two cars so the damage was minimal, but i think you see the point.

2) when they started racing asphalt with the sm all the cars were dirt and everyone was makin it work on asphalt, pretty sure they are building asphalt only sm's now and the dirt guys just can't compete.

ONE LAST NOTE, I'M NOT RACING MY MOD ON SATURDAY IN PREP FOR THE TRIP TO BOONE, SO IF ANY ONE HAS A SM THEY WANT ME TO DRIVE SATURDAY JUST LET ME KNOW :D

JOE-NUT

Sure am glad this thread didn't turn into an opportunity to tell folks why they don't like asphalt racingand why they love dirt track racing.

Never fails - As soon as someone puts up a slightly controversial topic and asks folks to refrain from being negative, out come the boo-birds.

Nick

you do have a good point but the top cars at CC have ran on dirt.

I ran mine on dirt and did decent

the 82 used to be #50 and ran on dirt.

and Lawrence pretty much doninated on both surfaces eith the same car.

the 56 of brad titzman also ran dirt after winning a race and running really well.

and the 17b of poorboy's was a front runner and one of the fastest cars out there and is taking his to dirt now.

Your right Nick!! No matter what is said or pointed out the 'boo-birds' are there to talk about how boring or follow the leader the races are on asphalt. The only thing I can say is the ones that say anything are not at the right track or watching the right classes, anyone who's been racing for any length of time has seen boring dirt AND asphalt races .. so if you can't be objective don't be a downer! just my opinion.

We had a lot of green flag laps at THR during our last event. While some may call it boring, I was glad to see some good racing and minimal car damage. I think we only hauled off one car on a wrecker, and it was from a blown engine. I had even mentioned the full moon in Race Control during that event, and I thought Terry Barden was going to slap me! LOL Normally a full moon seems to have a negative effect on racing, but it didn't that night.

We've definitely had plenty of the opposite kind of racing on asphalt - with the night(s) full of cautions, red flags, lots of cars hauled off to the pits, major damage on the cars, etc. I know which kind of night I prefer!

I don't think anyone should judge any track - dirt or asphalt - based on one night of racing. Every event is different.

i agree. if it's not your thing, it's not your thing. i personally think dirt racing is boring,,and slow. but they still manage to destroy stuff?

i'm just kidding,. one day i might try it, and i don't wanna a bunch of mad potatoe farmers trying to put me out in the corn field.

THR is trying everything they can, that's all they can do. 2 months ago iwas wondering if they'd even let us finish out our races on this years schedule, and now they are actually giving us more. so if you think your track does it better, stay there. not trying to be rude, just stating the obvious.

Archived