Thunders at Corpus Christi speedway

BJ34

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taken form post 11 under the -Well- topic post by hi tech

"IF THIS IS THE LAST RACE ..... THEN I WOULD LIKE TO SAY ...CONGRATZ TO LISA SANDOVAL FOR WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP ...........YOU DROVE A GREAT SEASON WITH OUT WRECKING ANYONE .YOU DIDNT HIT TOO MANY POEPLE TO WIN IT . NO DIRTY DRIVEING ........ YOU ARE THE FIRST FEMALE TO EVER WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP AT CC IN THE THUNDER CLASS ....AND MOST PROBABLY EVER IN ANY CLASS .........YOU EARNED IT .YOU DESEVERD IT .....YOU SHOWED CLASS WHEN YOU WERE WRECKED .PUSHED OUT OF THE WAY ..BY NOT TAKEING ACTION BACK TOWARDS OTHERS ..ALL IN ALL.. YOU SHOWED WHY YOU SHOULD BE 2011 TEXAS THUNDER TRACK CHAMPION ........THANK YOU FOR GIVEING ME .JOSHUA THE SANDOVAL FAMILY AND YOUR FANS .THE CHAMPIONSHIP .."

Interesting enough, think that covers my opinion about points , anyways its late in the season to look at building cast iron heads as they cost quite a bit more than you may realize as we don't have any to rebuild so were talking from scratch and they weigh in at around 900 each before taxes just in parts plus still need to find intakes that fit them. plus for the average person you can tack on around 400-600 in labor so now you've got ruffly 1500 invested into building a solid flat tappet cast head right around the price that you can buy a used SVO roller aluminum head on Ebay for. though you can build a cheaper power plant they come at a cost as well since a good hydraulic head is still around 600 in parts and it will have trouble over 6800 rpm and in a car that is not tuned to make up for lost speed in the corners it will never end up in the winners circle (the whole point of racing cars is to win the race isnt it?) And yes your right maybe he did set a high dollar head on the bench I know an arca is fairly expensive but an svo is also very expensive X 2 heads... the bunnys gone so I can see why you no longer need one to win but I liked being able to take my exact car ( since we don't run WEIGHT JACKS) and change the tires and still have a very competitive car in the tps series without changing motors as well.

Interesting enough, think that covers my opinion about points , anyways its late in the season to look at building cast iron heads as they cost quite a bit more than you may realize as we don't have any to rebuild so were talking from scratch and they weigh in at around 900 each before taxes just in parts plus still need to find intakes that fit them. plus for the average person you can tack on around 400-600 in labor so now you've got ruffly 1500 invested into building a solid flat tappet cast head right around the price that you can buy a used SVO roller aluminum head on Ebay for. though you can build a cheaper power plant they come at a cost as well since a good hydraulic head is still around 600 in parts and it will have trouble over 6800 rpm and in a car that is not tuned to make up for lost speed in the corners it will never end up in the winners circle (the whole point of racing cars is to win the race isnt it?) And yes your right maybe he did set a high dollar head on the bench I know an arca is fairly expensive but an svo is also very expensive X 2 heads... the bunnys gone so I can see why you no longer need one to win but I liked being able to take my exact car ( since we don't run WEIGHT JACKS) and change the tires and still have a very competitive car in the tps series without changing motors as well. .

yep i can understand keeping the car ready for both local and tps .. ......the thing is ..you were party to the head change deal ...... i can go back and find where i said more than once ... .keep what you have and make the rules to where those other cars could come and run in some fashion .. you had more sitting around here ... ...reality tires would have been the main problem .............as for price of building a head ..again ask jesse . ..

bltl0518........that might be a good ideal ..but the fact is there are cars sitting ..there is still interest in the car owners wanting to race em .... until they are crushed .there is enough for a large class .

it took us being told for the 1990 season .build the class back up are park em ...that worked .drivers finaly came together an worked it out ..its easy to sit on the side lines when you have no investment and say shut em down .....

For Thunder cars only : What killed Thunders was not a head deal.Modifying rules every year to protect an outdated entry did.If a stock VW can run with a really suped up Ford,why would anyone choose the Ford?I understand brand loyalty but to not move foreward means not going foreward.This year there should have been a dozen modern cars compiting and winning.But year after year the class as a whole was worried about how to keep this from happening with restrictions rather than embraceing them.And at the same time adding more to the older models.It has been prooved by Will with the Neon,Todd with the Acura,every VW racer like Mark,winning 22 features in one season,Pete who always was fast,Rick who won races with a VW AND a bone stock Neon David Horton,Bruce Barber way back and Brabra Jacobs.And Pro Sedans where speed is the name of the game.The PS class always found ways to welcome new models.I remember when everyone wanted to ban Will because he was fuel injected.That made me mad.

When someone found the formula to out perform the modern car,the same jelousy and hatered became focused at them.I compare this to cannabalism,Ford eating Ford.So to eliminate everything new and half of whats old,whats left?I Know as well as most knowlegable race car builders that that fast Mustang could beat everyone even without a special head>I knew the night he was going to be fast just by looking at his car when I lined up beside him.Sorry to say as a class Thunders acted just like Congress.

And now what?No one has a solution so it seems like this program has come to an end.So each person has to decide are they car lovers or race lovers.The modifieds one were the most powerful division in the US,taking over from the Late Models that dominated a decade earlier.Now its sport mods,and the racers built new cars and are racing them now.The same thing is happening with 4 cyl cars.Almost every track has some kind of frontrunner class.FWD only so as to not have to make concessions for RWD cars.I dont like this necessarly but it is working at some tracks.So Thunder guys,my suggestion is qoit or adapt.You like CC,build a frontrunner.You have the resources.Dont let the car be the important part.The racing is.You have a place to finish the year with your car as is if the car is the important thing.Next year YOU have 2 choices for racing,YOU decide if you can change with the times or fade away.Im already building nextt years car.At one time I had an asphalt car,a dirt Thunder,and a modified.I dont care what the car is,its the race thats important.Good luck figguring out your future.I had the greatest time racing with all of you.Looking foreward to doing it again someday. Hiding behind screen name........Thumper

thunders can be save . it just takes all the drivers getting together . they have some issues that needs to be address . CODY would you be willing to take a weight penalty on your car for running the alum head .add a weight penalty and smalled carb and let him bring his car maybe youll get a few other pro sedans to run . get a list of the old cars that are just lying around and find people that will buy them . and help get the cars to the track. next year look at going a track tire . so everyone runs on the same tire. and front runners is a starter class its not for people that have years of driving . so you cannt tell people to build a front runner.

OK HAD MY SAY SO

STEVEN CARPENTER

CRT RACING

thunders can be save . it just takes all the drivers getting together . they have some issues that needs to be address . CODY would you be willing to take a weight penalty on your car for running the alum head .add a weight penalty and smalled carb and let him bring his car maybe youll get a few other pro sedans to run . get a list of the old cars that are just lying around and find people that will buy them . and help get the cars to the track. next year look at going a track tire . so everyone runs on the same tire. and front runners is a starter class its not for people that have years of driving . so you cannt tell people to build a front runner.

OK HAD MY SAY SO

STEVEN CARPENTER

CRT RACING

your son is racen in the front runners ..he has three years behind the wheel .as do some other drivers in that class ..my son is in his first full time season ..does not have a year behind any wheel on the track ... .joshua will be moveing up next year ..what class and where he will race is still open cc or sts ... .....now as for the other drivers including your son ...what do you do with them .move em up ..or park em ..can they afford to move up ..its a catch 22....that class is for rookies .but was also ruled any driver can race a frontrunner ..one did and got moved out this year ..with that part being done ... the others should have been moved out aswell ..then you would have no class ..again catch 22 ..was it fair one driver was told to move up .and not the others with years of racen behind them ..you answer that one ......if it is only going to be for rookies ..then atleast three of those drivers should not be racen at this time ..only one of the top five drivers is a rookie .two of those others are points leaders ...should that be .......the front runners is a good class ..for either rookies .or none rookies ..if you cant afford any other class but that one ..and cant run in it ..then your left with what ..........i noticed alot of classes are haveing problems with car count .. where would this one be .......

Well Mike you just hit on exactly what ruined the Thunder car class at RGS.It was supposed to be a beginner class so as to keep experienced drivers out.Unfortunately it became politics,little to do with experience and more to do with if the promoter liked you.Some drivers were moved out their first year while others stayed for 10 years.Whatever happened with Jesse needs to be clairified if FR cars are to make it.There was no rule in that class.So what IS the rule? Elimanation baised on experience or performance? This is dangerious teritory and can ruin that class too.Jesse got it,whos next?

Well Mike you just hit on exactly what ruined the Thunder car class at RGS.It was supposed to be a beginner class so as to keep experienced drivers out.Unfortunately it became politics,little to do with experience and more to do with if the promoter liked you.Some drivers were moved out their first year while others stayed for 10 years.Whatever happened with Jesse needs to be clairified if FR cars are to make it.There was no rule in that class.So what IS the rule? Elimanation baised on experience or performance? This is dangerious teritory and can ruin that class too.Jesse got it,whos next?

I KNEW WE JUST WERE NOT PAYING THOSE PROMOTERS BACK THEN ENOUGH.

mike you know it depends on the driver . if you have a driver in front runners that has years of experance and he is winning every race . just about lapping the entire field then yes i can see making that driver move up .you know in racing you have different drivers some who push it and some that are laid backed .

what is cheap to you know where one is but you will pay for it I think they wanted $3000 for it with all the stuff they have for it extra motor tran extra cage to I think or $2500 for the car

mike you know it depends on the driver . if you have a driver in front runners that has years of experance and he is winning every race . just about lapping the entire field then yes i can see making that driver move up .you know in racing you have different drivers some who push it and some that are laid backed .

so do you blame the driver that pushes it ..or the drivers who are laid back ..lol

Go back and think around 2005 you had at least 20

per week. Did there need to be adjustments yes to

equalize the competition. This could be done with

total and left side weight adjustments rather then

obsoleting cars. I know some say no weight jacks,

but how many are sitting because of that? Some of

the cars that were winning were heavier than what

the rules called for and still won. Tire rule might help,

but adds more expense to all not all buy new tires

often. Instead of some complaining they cannot win

because of so and sos' cars has this or that look at

your own setup and improve on it.

I have no dog in this fight But what your saying Its the driver and not the car .It takes both . So Greg JR .John W, Cody B, Troy H They are very good drivers and a good set up on there cars .If they win every week ,They should move up to the sportsmods???. or a bomber driver move up to SS .Sport Mod move up tp Late Mod?? All wrong in my book. These Men are laid back too.. Someone should be president in that class, make some rules, make your own series, then present this to the track Mang. Then have fun. All of this is come down to it, Yall talk the talk do something about it then walk the walk . Douglas LeStourgeon

PS Just get it done

BJ34 if im going to buy some cars and put them together to try to help the car count im not going to spend 2500 a car .as many thunders as has ran in this class . you cannt tell me there are not a lot of them just lying in peoples back yards rusting away

BJ34 if im going to buy some cars and put them together to try to help the car count im not going to spend 2500 a car .as many thunders as has ran in this class . you cannt tell me there are not a lot of them just lying in peoples back yards rusting away

OK

Archived