Tubing Bending

JamesHigdon

We are looking at doing some roll-cage bending and want to get some idea of what others out there use? I have looked at full on-high dollar mandrel benders all the way down to Harbor Freight $99 benders. I would like to spend as little as possible while still getting something that will not kink the tubing and can do at least a 90* bend. I know pipe benders wont work but will some of the cheaper, floor mount mandrel style lever benders?

I've used many. One rule holds true.

the better the bender the higher the price!

I only weighed 145 when I tried the 99.00 bender. Did not have much luck - but my buddy (who could carry a fully loaded 12 bolt rear - brakes and all without straining) had no problems! We named him "gorilla grip" after he broke two valve cover bolts off with a nut driver.

Agree with both posts above.

I've used the JD Squared Model 3 bender for years with no complaints. Can't count how many cages have been built using it. Used it to bend 1-3/4 x .120 wall tube for a rock crawler withou any issue.

I'm actually looking at the JD Squared Model 3 or 32, any limitations or issues to speak of, any thing you would have done differently?

I have a car at the shop we are finishing right now and need to make some bends, do you happen to be located in the San Antonio area?

FSAE,

There is a guy named Mike in Bracken. I will try to get his # and PM you with it. He has built many cages for dragcar guys. He may be willing to let you check out his set-up...

Mark

Mark, thanks, I appreciate any help...I've had so much bad luck with equipment I want to make sure I end up with something that not only lasts but actually does what it is designed to do!

James

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. No, I'm northeast of Elgin. Get a degree wheel with it and spring-back bars(build your own). The other models were not available when I bought mine. Have a friend in McDade that has a model 32 and loves it. The model 3 dies can be used on the Model 32.

Hope this helps.

I use a Pro-Tools 105 HD bender and it works great! Its reasonably priced and works like a champ. If I built cages everyday, I'd probably buy a little higher dollar bender. But even when I was building cages once a month, it held up perfect. Pro-tools has the best deal on dies too. Great customer service, american owned and a great price point. Comes with a free die! http://www.pro-tools.com/105.htm

Mike Clark is the guy Mark is referring too. His number is 210-842-5669.

I use a Pro-Tools 105 HD bender and it works great! Its reasonably priced and works like a champ. If I built cages everyday, I'd probably buy a little higher dollar bender. But even when I was building cages once a month, it held up perfect. Pro-tools has the best deal on dies too. Great customer service, american owned and a great price point. Comes with a free die! http://www.pro-tools.com/105.htm

Mike Clark is the guy Mark is referring too. His number is 210-842-5669.

I have been so busy I forgot to call Angel to get Mike's #... Thanks CER!

FSAE,

Sorry about that... Is it Friday yet? :blink::unsure:

Archived