McAninch by an inch in NCRA Great Plains Late Model action

rebelracewriter

McAninch by an Inch in NCRA Great Plains Late Model Action

Park City, Kansas (June 19, 2011) - In one of the closest finishes in series history, Ryan McAninch of Wichita, Kansas retook the lead on the last lap and barely beat veteran Delbert Smith at the finish line to win the thrilling National Championship Racing Association of Park City, Kansas presented by Smiley’s Racing Products Great Plains late model feature finale Sunday night at 81 Speedway in Park City as part of the tracks “Hoosier Daddy” NCRA Father’s Day spectacular.

Earl Kinderknecht started on the pole for the twenty lap feature but it was Shelton, Nebraska driver Steve Kempt taking the lead as the green flag fell on the thirteen car field.

Kempt, who came into the night as the early season point’s leader on the new Great Plains late model region tour, opened up a five car length lead over fourth starting McAninch. Kempt would built his lead to ten car lengths by lap four while further behind the front two drivers, it was Kinderknecht, Seagraves and Smith, who had worked his way into fifth after starting in the seventh position.

Kempt looked to be cruising along until the first of two cautions flew on lap seven when Rick Leatherman spun to a stop in turns three and four.

The restart saw McAninch make his move as he worked the top side of the three-eighths mile oval to pull even with the leader down the backstretch and would drive around Kempt in turns three and four to take the lead on lap eight. While this was going on, Smith would take over the third position from Gary Gorby and set his sights on the leaders.

McAninch had built up a ten car length lead over Kempt before the final caution flew on lap eleven when Dustin Belcher spun in turns three and four.

The final restart saw Smith begin to make his move as he passed Kempt for the runner up position and began his quest of catching McAninch.

With five laps to go it was still McAninch by three car lengths over Smith with Gorby and Kempt starting to fade from the two front runners.

“The Ice Man” got things going down on the bottom of the track and closed to the leader’s rear bumper on lap seventeen. One lap later he would take over the top spot by making the pass down the front stretch and nosed out in front of McAninch for one full lap.

On the final lap, Smith worked the top of the cushion in turns three and four with McAninch right behind. As they came down the front stretch to take the checkered flag, McAninch dove underneath and as both drivers came down the front straightaway it was McAninch crossing the finish line by foot over Smith to take the victory.

“I made a mistake there and lost the lead to Delbert,” said McAninch in victory lane. “Delbert’s been running awful good lately and I really didn’t think I would have the chance to get by him again. I didn’t think the top would work there in three and four but we just happened to get a good run coming off the corner and caught him. There’s so many people to thank in this deal I am afraid I will forget somebody.”

Gorby, who started ninth, would hold on to finish a strong third while Kempt faded to fourth. Seagraves rounded out the top five.

The two, eight lap heat races were won by Kinderknecht and Wylan Petrie.

The next event for the NCRA of Park City, Kansas presented by Smiley’s Racing Products Great Plains late model region will be a standalone event paying $1000 to the winner at 81 Speedway on Saturday night, July 2nd. From there the tour will head north to the famed high banks in Belleville, Kansas where they will join forces with the series regular late model division with that nights feature winner earning $2500.

NCRA Heat 1:1. Earl Kinderknecht (Salina, Ks), 2. Ryan McAninch (Wichita, Ks), 3. Jimmy Segraves (Valley Center, Ks), 4. Delbert Smith (Wichita, Ks), 5. Gary Gorby (Caney, Ks), 6. Vince Wagoner (Lenora, Ks), 7. Rick Leatherman (Benton, Ks)

NCRA Heat 2:1. Wylan Petrie (Solomon, Ks), 2. Steve Kempt (Shelton, Ne), 3. William Keeney (Junction City, Ks), 4. Brian Bolster (Belle Plaine, Ks), 5. Dustin Belcher (Wichita, Ks), 6. Brad Fortney (Wichita, Ks)

NCRA Great Plains Late Model A: 1. Ryan McAninch 2. Delbert Smith 3. Gary Gorby 4. Steve Kempt 5. Jimmy Seagraves 6. Brad Forney 7. Rick Leatherman 8. William Keeney 9. Wylan Petrie 10. Vince Wagoner 11. Bryan Bolster 12. Earl Kinderknecht 13. Dustin Belcher

Archived