Crate Motors & Mail Orders

So looking and surfing the web.It looks like some pretty good deals on high performance crate motors to run in street stock or super stock.Is that the best way to go?Mail order parts for your car?

in my point of view I don't really care for package motors, being an engine builder/machinist Ive spent countless hours reaming valve guides and trying to find at least 2k under the valvecover of some the mail order motors, many engines come in that someone had spent 6500 on a limited motor that had a cheap set of headless screw in studs and missing guide plates or even some with them but the heads not drilled for them and some with illegal crankshaft for the class the engine was built for... not saying that they are all bad many are good and there are a few shops that do very honest work for the price just saying be very carefully where you buy it from. theres allot of cheaters and crooks on the net.

do alot of reserch before you spend money on motors .....i agree with 4cylfordz... .. and i am one who would rather build the motor than buy one ..you know what you have for sure .....we only bought one racen short block years ago from race eng,,,and i have to admit we got what we paid for .one of the best build short block you could buy for the money . better than esslinger .. ..they did every thing the man told me over the phone down to a T.......that motor and or internals lasted five years before finaly a rod let go ..

do alot of reserch before you spend money on motors .....i agree with 4cylfordz... .. and i am one who would rather build the motor than buy one ..you know what you have for sure .....we only bought one racen short block years ago from race eng,,,and i have to admit we got what we paid for .one of the best build short block you could buy for the money . better than esslinger .. ..they did every thing the man told me over the phone down to a T.......that motor and or internals lasted five years before finaly a rod let go ..

Thats the gutt feelings I had too.Buyer beware.No guarantee the parts mail order is going to fit or work as you think it will.The return policy,shipping,ect.Then tech support,customer service.Its like taking a fatten up angus calf to the process facility.Are you sure your getting all your angus calf back.Find a business you can trust and has high customer satisfaction.But never hurts to ask questions.So sounds like it be better dealing with a shop in person than some business over the phone in who know where.

Archived