94 Chevy Silverado

I have a 94 Chevy Pick up with a 5.7 and it has a 4l60e trans. It starts out in 2nd and shifts to 3rd but I have no 1st or overdrive. The pan was pulled and the solenoids were jumped to a battery and they would click. Put it back together and nothing. I drove it and when it went to third it wouldnt shift but if I floored it and let off and it would shift into 4th. But that only worked a few times. Now it only has 2nd and 3rd. My wife aint to happy with me after I put a dent in her suv with the trailer. So I needless to say I need it working to pull my race car. Any ideas or suggestions would help before I just take it to a shop.

You need to have it looked at by someone with a good scanner that knows what they are looking for. On these later GM transmissions you can see lines pressures and shift commands and see almost exactly what is wrong right there on the scanner screen. The better way to test the solenoids is to put the vehicle up on a lift and command the ECU to enable the solenoids with a scanner and listen for them clicking, that way you assure it's not an ECU or ground issue. I have seen transmissions replaced due to to ECU issues and the other way around, we don't replace ANYTHING anymore until it's confirmed bad or good electronically.

Secondarily, how many miles on the truck and does it have the auxilary trans cooler? My fathers '97 C1500 went 200K on it's trans without a trans cooler before finally giving up but my '99 Yukon (old body style) has just a tick over 200K with the auxliary cooler and the trans fluid looks great and it never gets hot.

• 1 month later...

Update.

Dropped the pan and pulled the 1-2 accumulator off and found the spring was broken which explains the hard shift. Checked the continuity on the shift solenoids and the shift B solenoid was at 21 ohms(supposed to be between 20 and 40) so its good. Checked the shift a solenoid and it was at 13 ohms. Then jumped to 34 then to 56. Pulled it off and checked it and it is now open. The shift A solenoid controls the 1-2 shift and the 3-4 shift. Which explains why I only have 2 and 3. The oil was not burnt and there was no debris. Going to get new solenoids and a accumulator tonight and will see what she does.

Archived