TH-350 Question

CC57

Just how much play should there be in the tail-shaft of a TH-350?

Someone informed me I might want to take a look at the tail-shaft play in my tranny.

And you can grab the tail-shaft as it exits the tail-cone. It does move around a bit.

But then I took a look at my spare tranny, and it has a lot of – approximately the same perhaps - play too.

So I’m wondering, should there be little or no play?

Or “some”?

And about how much is “some”?

I did the Google search and found one forum reply that said there could be up to 1/4" of vertical play?

Thanks all

I'm going to check it again today.

Additionaly, I pulled the tailcone off to see how much it would move. In additon to up and down movement of the output shaft, it also moves in and out of the tranny. My spare didn't - move in and out that is.

Any comments?

And thanks all.

I'm probalby going to pull it just to be in the safe side, but I hate to wrestle around pulling that heavy beast just to found out it's ok (I miss my Brinn... :wub: )

Thrust should be minimal (no more than say .050 - a wag on my part) when the tail housing is installed... I won't be back to ask my trans guy for a couple weeks (currently in Vegas for educational purposes and then to Az for our annual jeep run) but I am pretty sure the rear planetary (which is where the out shaft would get thrust) has no thrust washer etc to wear. In other words excess thrust would mean worn planetary and or ring gear (or even the snap ring)!

If I recall only the in shaft has a thrust setting - the out runs "wild".

Archived