Exhaust Filter

gundogC3

Ck engine light came on on my truck, said 'CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER SEE OWNERS MANUAL"...REALLY? exhaust filter?

LOL THATS A JOKE RIGHT .......I READ TONS OF CODES EACH MOUNTH ..FROM 96 TO NEW ...HAVE NOT SEEN THAT ONE .

Yea our '09 f250 threw up the code and soon after would not accelerate over 30!

If you have a Driver Information Center display - you should be able to see cleaning cycles where it allows the filter to "superheat". I had seen the cycles saying "Cleaning Ex Fil" but thought nothing of it. We fueled in AZ and halfway to cal - Ding "service exh fil" - 50 miles later we could barely roll (seemed as if the computer shut the turbo off).

ALWAYS make sure you use the good (ultra low sulfer) fuel in a filtered exhaust (2008-2009 most are filtered, 2010 or newer all are filtered - EPA mandate) - expensive to fix. And as we found out - before a long trip it does not hurt to have the whole system checked. In our case it was a malfunction in the high pressure pump regulator (under the intake manifold) and had over riched the engine enough to plug the filter. Warranty covered - thankfully as they had to lift the cab to get to the pump!

Filtering came with the high pressure electronic injection mandate. A good friend of mine had to go to a 36 hr school for the new system(s) to keep his Kenworth certs current. Just like AIR or EGR it will take a few field years to get to a simple and easily serviced system.

ever hear of "Blue Tech" in dodges or see the little blue tech decal on the back? pretty sure thats what it's called, but if i member right, when i read a few articles, that's why the new diesels do not get the black smoke when you floor it like the used to... it cleans all the junk outta the exhaust and does exactly what jwmbishop said.. basically creates a superheated incenerator to burn that junk out.. i think it says the exact temp in my trucks manual, but dont have it on me...

-Shawn

diesel particulates do not incinerate until above 600 celsius (1112 F). To demonstrate effectiveness of the system I can use our machine shop process. We cleaned all incoming pieces by baking them (after disassembly) for 3 hrs in an oven at 650 F - the stack from the oven ran at 1400F to clean all the particulates and meet california emmision (if we cracked the door during the bake - a cloud of black smoke would fill the shop - yet NOTHING but heat waves came out the stack). Once "baked" all oils etc were just dust that we blasted with walnut shell and washed with water - no solvents, acids etc to dispose of! Left over dust was safe to dispose in the landfill - even under California's strict water policies - and ALL GALLEYS WERE PERFECTLY CLEAN WITH JUST A STREAM OF WATER!

Moving to Texas I was suprised at how many shops still acid bath and hand brush - which is not even near as effective or efficient, requiring more man hours. Yes it's cheaper upfront as the equipment outlay is less - but 3 years labor savings (using 9.00 an hour) starts recovering the cost of the 15 year equipment!

I know someone who actually got a ticket here by the DPS for removing his filter. 450 fine for NOTHING although he swears it gave him more power. Sorry - unless he also changed cam, injectors, turbo curve ECM programming etc - he made no difference other than spewing black when he mashed the throttle. Yes you can find a DPF Delete program for your desiel - but why? THe only thing accomplished is making smoke which does NOT make power!

Ck engine light came on on my truck, said 'CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER SEE OWNERS MANUAL"...REALLY? exhaust filter?

The 2011 ford's have "Exhaust Fluid" that has to be added when you put diesel in the truck. There is a separate fuel cap for a Urea additive. Supposedly you only have to do it every 15,000 miles or so!?!

Dude - I had to do a google just to make sure it was not just a new name for blinker fluid! Seriously. (don't know and could not find about mileage - but about 2-3% of diesel consumption is what I have found)

But that brings up a "burning" question...

Does that mean we now have to take diesels to a ureaologist for checkups?

The 2011 ford's have "Exhaust Fluid" that has to be added when you put diesel in the truck. There is a separate fuel cap for a Urea additive. Supposedly you only have to do it every 15,000 miles or so!?!

the chevys too.. unfortunately on the chevy u gotta add it under the hood.. i work in auto parts had a guy come in looking for some said he had gone 1700 miles.. and his "light" came on saying to change exhaust fluid because it only had 600 miles left on it.. its almost 6 bucks a gallon for the fluid and the chevy he said holds two gallons.. sad part is he was a hot shotter.. thats gonna get pricey..

i have a friend that bought an 08 dodge as a welding rig.. this was the first year of the exhaust filter.. i think it left him stranded 3 times.. and the dodge place charged him some where around a grand to fix it every time.. and the tow truck charges.. in the end he ended up having it all removed and had straight pipe put in it but then he also had to have the computer redone and crap.. that also costed a couple thousand and voided his warranty and it would no longer pass inspection.. needless to say he doesnt have it any more

You should never need to replace the filter. It is apparent that the vehicle is not performing the proper burn off cycles as it should, If another filter is replaced and the problem is not fixed it will happen again. This is a soot particulate filter, the burn off procedure should happen about every 600 miles. By the way the DEF fluid or Adblue fuid as Mercedes calls it has nothing to do with the soot particulate filter.

By the way the DEF fluid or Adblue fuid as Mercedes calls it has nothing to do with the soot particulate filter.

Absolutely right - I filled the hole in my knowledge (I hate how fast texchnology has ran away from me being out of the auto industry 16 years now) and was going to point that out! But they ARE interrelated!

In the early 70's Cal Air Resources Board mandated a retro fit NOx reduction system on all 1962 or newer cars. By late 70's it was well understood that this system of NOx reduction DID reduce the Nitrides of Oxygen - but at the cost of increase in particulate emmision. It was found that when you see that lovely orange air that hangs in the Los Angelos Valley - the majority of the smog (a word combining smoke and fog) was due to particulates. But gas burners contribute less than 10% of the total internal combustion particulate pollutions in our air! Deisels have always been the #1 with industrial gas turbines #2! By early 80's the NOx boxes were no longer required (and could legally be removed if certified by a smog station to be no longer working - ie plumb wore out - or as we saw in most cases intentionally "broken") - and fuel blends were altered somewhat anyway.

For many years lower emmisions on diesels was not even attempted in part because of the large particulate % they produce even in the best of conditions. With the advent of high pressure electronic injection (phasing out mechanical racks), then the effective filtration of the particulates (which required drastic reduction of Sulpher content) - NOx reduction by catalyst became feasable. If your rig needs the NOx juice (DEF) - it's mainly because the engineering of that manufacturer on the filter system is slightly ahead of the emmissions goals set by the EPA and the SAE (even though those goals have been extended by date and increased in limits each year since the Act that required deisel reduction was passed 10 odd years ago). Expect them ALL to need DEF (and possibly a retro fit) in the not too distant future.

Archived