Legends Tech HMP

car05

I know most of you don't care about this, but I wanted to set the record straight anyway. Saturday night my son, Bayley Currey, was disqualified for a malfunctioning alternator. It was announced on the live updates he was disqualified for an "illegal switch on the alternator". That this implies that it was the intent, of both mine and Bayley's to cheat, that is far from the case. It was simply a malfunctioning part.

Like I said before this does not affect most of you, I just wanted to set the record straight.

I should add that the information (that there was a switch) was given to Nick from someone at HMP and Nick only posted the information that was given to him. Jack Sandefur tells me that was not the way he relayed the DQ, so I'm not sure where the info came from. As of the time I typed this, no one from HMP will return my phone call.

I'm curious, could a malfunctionaing alternator create an unfair advantage? Safety concern? Why a DQ?

if the alternator is turned off .yes it can create an unfair advantage ....nascar drivers turn thiers off in the last few laps .....and i am sure some short track racers do aswell ...may only be one hp over the others .but that can make all the differents .....my response is towards your question only ....

I'm curious, could a malfunctionaing alternator create an unfair advantage? Safety concern? Why a DQ?

It does make a difference. Depending on the amperage rating of the alternator, it can mean up to 10hp or so. We don't run an alternator, but back when we did, we had a switch for the driver to turn it off when needed.

btw, no one would run an alternator that took 10hp, but racing alternators will still take 3-5hp

Archived