TH350 in a pure stock

Big4x4ride

Just curious, seems that most guys are running powerglides in 1st with 3.55, 3.73 gears in the rear ends, and some guys are running saginaw 3 speeds in 2nd with 3.73 or 4.10's in the rear end. Is there any reason why a Th350 could not be used instead, either in 1st with a high ratio, or in 2nd with a lower ration like 3.73 or 4.10? I am building my first car which will be a pure stock and have a fresh 0 mile th350 ready to go, don't really see why I couldnt use it, the 1.52 2nd gear is pretty much teh same as the saginaw 1.50 2nd gear. I'm not too worried about it handling the power of the engine as I doubt that would be an issue, just more concerned on why it's not real common, or at least not common down here at STS.

Just curious, seems that most guys are running powerglides in 1st with 3.55, 3.73 gears in the rear ends, and some guys are running saginaw 3 speeds in 2nd with 3.73 or 4.10's in the rear end. Is there any reason why a Th350 could not be used instead, either in 1st with a high ratio, or in 2nd with a lower ration like 3.73 or 4.10? I am building my first car which will be a pure stock and have a fresh 0 mile th350 ready to go, don't really see why I couldnt use it, the 1.52 2nd gear is pretty much teh same as the saginaw 1.50 2nd gear. I'm not too worried about it handling the power of the engine as I doubt that would be an issue, just more concerned on why it's not real common, or at least not common down here at STS.

I run a turbo 350 in first with 256 rear gears, in one of my cars. Its a winning car,so no reason you cant. In fact I am sure there are lots of people around running this same setup ! Good luck in racing ! Freddy

The powerglides are smaller and lighter,and cheaper to rebuild. Thats why a lot use the powerglides.

I run a turbo 350 in first with 256 rear gears, in one of my cars. Its a winning car,so no reason you cant. In fact I am sure there are lots of people around running this same setup ! Good luck in racing ! Freddy

The powerglides are smaller and lighter,and cheaper to rebuild. Thats why a lot use the powerglides.

The Manual Trans is usually the trans of choice because of the reduction of rotating weight. The less rotating weight you have the more power you get at the wheels. Unless you run a dummy converter, a Turbo 350 or the Powerglide will be heavier. The other thing with the Manual Trans is depending on the track there are gray areas in the rules regarding clutches and flywheels another area you can reduce rotating weight and thus get more HP to the wheels. Of the 3 the TH350 is the heaviest I believe...

Archived