nascar history question

sfrebel

That race was at the old Meyer Speedway. It was on South Main roughly about Missouri City. It ran up until the early 80's, and I haven't been down in that area to know if anything is still there. I seriously doubt anything would be left. I think it was at an intersection of South Main, and a street called Haskell or something like that.

Tom, my dad was telling me about that place, i believe he said it is now a sub division or strip mall or something. I drove down topperwein looking for any sign of pan american, is it in between 35 and the trucking company? I saw what looked like might of been some tire berriers, maybe that was it.

Big John

It's been 8 years since I've been out to Pan Am. It's tucked in the the wooded area between two businesses.

When I went out there to snoop around, the racing surface was still intact except there were two deep cuts that had been made (one by the start finish line and one on the back straight) to keep people from racing on the track. Except for those two trenches the racing surface still looked good. The grandstands had been cut down and most of the outbuildings were gone. It sure was a sad sight but it did bring back a lot of memories. I stood out in the infield and looked up towards the flagstand where I could almost see Bill Lay standing there ready to give the green to a track full of 65 Camaros and 57 Chevies.

By the way, the artesian well was still weeping down towards the low groove on the front straight and I might have been weeping a bit myself.

Nick Holt

Nick, you getting sentimental on us? LOL

A friend of mine from Houston, that has done videos forever around there has tapes/pix of Myers Spwy. and Playland Park. Both were before my days of living in Houston. I've seen some of the old still pix of AJ, JR. etc. from those tracks. Pretty cool stuff. If anyone is looking for some of those old videos, E-mail me and I'll give ya contact info.

Big John,

The remains of Pan-Am are between the trucking business and the Aramendia plumbing building in that big field. If you go in closer to Aramendia, you will walk right into the pit area. Go to the right to the track.

I can feel some of Nick's pain; it was a great racetrack, and I spent many a Saturday night there as a teen, along with Longhorn on Friday.

Meyer is another track I enjoyed. It wasn't very well maintained, but a lot of fun to race at.

Two memorable things about going to Meyer Speedway...

Was the fact that it could come a frog strangler at 4 o'clock in the afternoon, rain a ton, and we would still start racing at 6 or so. Of course, that's just Houston.

And the Super Modifieds. A full field of those flying around that place was an awesome sight.

Billy

Archived