Closed Texas and Southwest Asphalt Tracks

txtom

fastoval: During the early 70’s, I went to the Navasota oval to help Paul Jett with his sprint car.

The surface of the track was clay.

Thank you for participating in this topic.

Neil Upchurch

From what I remember, at least as a fan, it appeared to be a very good clay surface, well maintained. I always enjoyed the events there, without constantly walking in mud and/or eating and inhaling dust by the pound. ;)

I have a correction on the Channelview track, it was a dirt track not asphalt

I am still trying to clarify that one; it was dirt almost all it's life, but I have two different references that state it was paved for a very short time in early '52; maybe only a couple race nights. But I will keep looking.

There was a track called North Houston Speedway that was built as an asphalt track that only ran for a season or two in the fifties.

I remember several of ya'll referring to that track, but I didn't recall if ya'll said it was paved. I will add it to the list tonight.

PAS opened in 1946

Correct, the PAS on Austin highway opened as a dirt track, but was paved in 1956.

There are several tracks on that list that started as dirt tracks; Playland, Arrowhead, Pan Am #1, etc.

Several more are now dirt tracks; Abilene is one of them, Lubbock another.

And I am compiling a listing of tracks in states that border Texas; i will get with Neil to see what he has there, and we'll get that up here.

I looked at the Texas dirt tracks; not sure if I have enough time left on the planet to do that one......... Maybe a condensed version......

Northside SPEEDWAY WAS A PAVED TRACK. I RACED THERE BACK IN THE LATE 50S. Nice track. I enjoyed it.

RE: Post #25

Being a Stock Car owner in the Houston Bronco Racing Association during the '60s for a couple of years, I understand EXACTLY what you are saying. I would think, however, that any NASCAR division would have common rules. That's the way it was in the '60s and '70s with the Late Model Sportsman Stock Cars. But, if a common rule that could "adjust" for a designated championship event at each speedway for regional points, were applied for the regional event(s) only, that would be a start. My train of thought, as always without rails of course, would be a designated regional event scheduled at a designated speedway while the designated division is not scheduled to compete at any other of the involved speedways. Those that compete in the designated event(s), score regional points. With regional results, fans, and competitors, I would think regional sponsorship would become attainable, for the event(s), and competitors. :unsure:

Archived