Firefighter Kevin Wiseman looks to burn rubber

NickHolt

Firefighter looks to burn rubber - Wiseman tied for points lead in HMP truck series

By Russ Goodall, Houston Chronicle

Kevin Wiseman will take the green flag in race No. 3 of the season on Saturday night at Speedfest, the pinnacle event on the schedule at HMP.

Kevin Wiseman runs into burning buildings for a living, so it's is no wonder The Woodlands firefighter takes it a bit easier during his off time.

Wiseman races to relax.

The Klein Oak graduate (1999) is in his second season behind the wheel of a NASCAR 360 Truck at Houston Motorsports Park, is already in a battle for the championship just two races into the season.

Wiseman and the rest of the field will take the green flag in race No. 3 of the season Saturday at Speedfest, the pinnacle event on this season's schedule at HMP.

"He has come a long way in a very short time," said Lynn Hardy Jr., winner of the season-opening truck race and the 2010 Pro Stock champion.

Wiseman will hit the track tied for the points lead in his sophomore season driving the No. 28 DLR and Associates Chevrolet for Wiseman Motorsports.

Wiseman, who grew up around racing, decided to take up the sport a short time ago.

"My wife purchased me a trip to the Team Texas Driving School at Texas Motor Speedway and about five laps into driving a NASCAR Sprint Cup Style car, I decided that racing was something I wanted to try on my own," said Wiseman, who lives in Tomball with his wife and daughter.

Wiseman embarked on his rookie season in 2010 with just himself and brother-in-law Matt DeMarino, who serves as his crew chief.

"Because of my fire department schedule, Matt often has to complete our pre and post-race maintenance as well as set up work, four or five days before the actual event," said Wiseman, who works at The Woodlands Fire Station 103.

Wiseman finished the season in seventh place, despite operating his team out of his home's garage.

In the offseason, Wiseman attended the Nick Holt Racing Suspension Seminar that has allowed the sophomore driver to speed up the learning curve.

"Having an engineering degree and background — I am a math and science guy by trade/nature — his class helped me understand the physics of what was going on with regard to our suspension package," said Wiseman.

Those changes have been seen on the track.

Wiseman finished second in the season opener. He then followed up with his first heat victory and a fourth-place finish in the feature two weeks ago.

Wiseman sits atop the points standings with 61 points, tied with Jim Albert and just seven points ahead of Travis Benson.

Defending class champion Cary Stapp currently sits in ninth.

Wiseman will have a chance to grab the points lead outright at Speedfest but will have to battle one of the largest fields in recent memory with 24 trucks pre-registered for the race.

Here is the link to Russ' story in the Houston Chronicle >> Click here.

Archived