Help, Norman Pierce Playland Park Houston 1950's

DMOODYII

I'm seeking photos or information regarding my late Grand Father Orvel Moody. He owned a race team in the 1950's that ran at Play land Park his driver was Norman Pierce. My dad said he thought the car number was 56. My Grand Father passed in 1986 when I was 11 years old, so I didn't have much time with him. I'm interested to see if anyone on the forum knew or knew of him in those days, and could help me learn more about him and his role in Houston's racing history. My aunt is in the process of sending photos of his car, I'll post them when received. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,

DM

DMOODYII, Look to the upper right of this page. You will find a "Search" tab. Click on that. A little window will open. Type in Pierce and click on the tab. I think Norman Pierce is mentioned and possibly even pictured in quite a number of threads in this History Section. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

The Orval Moody name sounds familiar to me, was he active into the '60s as well? Possibly at Meyer Spdwy/Houston? My memory of Norman Pierce in the Modifieds in the '50s has him in either a #1 Car, or a #98 Car. Like I say, that's how I remember, but certainly not absolute. :unsure:

The Orval Moody name sounds familiar to me, was he active into the '60s as well? Possibly at Meyer Spdwy/Houston? My memory of Norman Pierce in the Modifieds in the '50s has him in either a #1 Car, or a #98 Car. Like I say, that's how I remember, but certainly not absolute. :unsure:

Yes, he was active in the 1960's and at Meyer Speedway. Keep in mind I'm 36 years old and certainly wasn't around in those days so all I have is a collection of stories that may or may not be accurate. With that said, My Grand Father Orvel Moody owned a trucking company that leased its trucks out to "A.J Frost & CO" and several others. At that time he had tons of cash and loved anything fast. Everything he had was hopped up and built for speed (cars, boats, trucks). My dad says that he would drive 100 mph wherever he went (grocery store, pulling a boat). He even had a Willy’s army jeep that they had shoved a V-8 into that would boil all four tires down to the rims if you let it. Orvels favorite story was how this young kid came to his office and asked if he could drive for him. Grandpa said everyone in town knew this kid and knew he was too radical and wrecked cars (remember the way Orvel drove, if he thought you were too radical that was saying something). My Grand Father told him that he would never make it as a driver and to get the heck out of his office, that kid was AJ Foyt. According to my dad, Norman and Orvel were good friends with Tony Foyt and he and AJ were over at the house a lot in those days (not sure address but it was off 59 somewhere near were Gallery Furniture is today). This is quite a contrast to the man I knew. By the time I was born (1975) Orvel had lost his business (as he would say "on wine, women and song") and lived in a trailer house my dad bought him on some property across the street from our house in Alvin, TX. He drove a 1976 Ford Pinto and would barley drive the speed limit if that. He spent most of his time sat at the patio table in his front yard drinking Falstaff beer and telling these stories to anyone who would listen. He was quite a character....

i met norman at meyers when i worked for phil cronin his nefnew dale pierce and i work in a machine shop he said norman passed away in 2004 he had a automotive shop off of north shepard from what phil said he was one good wrench

Archived