Jim Knudtson talked to IMCA this morning

tqj3

Jim Knudtson talked to IMCA this morning to clarify some confusion.

IMCA will not license a driver for both IMCA Modified and IMCA Sport Mods.

(Jim called it "The Keith White Rule.")

They will license a driver for, say, IMCA Street Stock and either Mods or Sport Mods. (Keith White is rumored to be planning to win another pair of titles, Street Stock and Modified...)

So can you do like Nascar and run in both classes but declare which class you will actually run in for points as long as you keep your cars IMCA legal?

The way I have read it is that if you run a big mod you aren't eligible to run a SSM at all. The discussion is to try to prevent "cherry pickers" of big money SSM races and to let it be a class that is for entry level mod drivers.

Please don't quote me on these as it's just information that I have tried to piece together on my own.

so the question from many sport mod drivers,IMCA or no?????...We already knew the J.P.Dial rule was there months ago.....Frank t ,,,,P.S/ Kieth White is racing IMCA I Stocks and Mods....

Again, as I read it, it doesn't matter what sanction you ran a big mod in, you cannot run an IMCA SSM. What Keith White is doing is allowed.

What about the Blaylocks they came from mods. If pittaway sold his mod tomorrow could he race. I hate this rule. Its to grey. How do they prove if you run another sanction unless yo have a license in that sanction. Say johnny gets a ride for a couple big shows in a mod what happens there. Its stupid in my opinion.

And i dont know the exact rule just what ive read on the forums bout the rule. So dont jump on me to quick lol

The rule is you just have to pick one or the other....if you came from mods but just want to run sportmods now thats fine...i did have a mod ride for this year lined up from elias anderson but i had to pick one or the other so i picked the sportmod.

This is how I've read it too. It doesn't matter what you drove BEFORE this season.

Frank is right, its not a keith white rule, its a guy who only runs two or three races a year and wins the big ones, i.e. J.P. (who happens to be a very nice person), Keith ran every race thus supporting the class and the tracks he raced at...and yes he got his first (and i'm sure not his last) win at ksp in a stock car sunday.

joe

1) You can only be LICENSED for either Mod or Sportmod, not both.....

1a) You can only race an IMCA track if you hold an IMCA License

2) You can get LICENSED for Mod and I-Stock, or Sportmod and Hobby Stock if you desire to run two classes...

3) If you run a mod at any non-sanctioned track, or other sanction such as USMTS, NCRA, etc. you CAN NOT get an IMCA Sportmod LICENSE(How they plan on policing this is a mystery to me)

I don't know that this so much a Keith White or JP Dowell rule as it is having guys like Sean Jones and Troy Taylor(both non-IMCA racers that got a temp. license) come in and whip everyone at the Sportmod Nationals....I do however believe that the Sportmod class was designed to be more an entry level class that lately has become dominated by guys that run full mods and can afford to have both....Sadly, as far as IMCA goes, there were about 40 drivers running both classes, now they have to choose one or the other....

i do not think it was a wise rule at all i guess ken shrader wont be racing imca any time soon and what about them coming down and racing the busch series or running a usmts mod no way is that a wise rule and i say try and police it good luck ;) jmo i understand not owning both mod and sport mod license :blink: its probably going to get the tracks to choose between outlaw sport mods and imca its a dumb rule but i think if jim calls and talks to them they can make an exception or they need to about the guys coming in and racing outlaw mods and then running a sport mod again jmo

So what does someone like Steve Jr do. WHo has no mod. Runs occasional usmts this year. But no mods at home all he has is a limited he cant race up there?

You can run USMTS mods and an IMCA sport mod, just can't run IMCA Mod and IMCA sport mod together. As i read the book. I like the rule, it prevents the big mod drivers from dominating in the sport mods. Thats the way it should be for all racing sanctions. NO SAND BAGGING!

So what does someone like Steve Jr do. WHo has no mod. Runs occasional usmts this year. But no mods at home all he has is a limited he cant race up there?

You can run USMTS mods and an IMCA sport mod, just can't run IMCA Mod and IMCA sport mod together. As i read the book. I like the rule, it prevents the big mod drivers from dominating in the sport mods. Thats the way it should be for all racing sanctions. NO SAND BAGGING!

You CAN'T run any mods no matter the sanction. Like Greg said, how there are going to police that is to be seen and I'm sure some people will try to get away with it.

So being it that steve runs a limited on a weekly basis this year at his home track and potentially there, He is okay to run. He doesnt just have a ride for big shows and not race anymore. Thats the way i understand am i correct

Pretty much since he ran at RPR and TMS in a big mod, he cannot run an IMCA SSM.

Jason.....You are all WRONG...Read the post...If you ran a USRA race in a mod, you CANNOT race IMCA in a sportmod....I am not saying i like the rule.,Johnny was looking foreward to driving a modified and a sportsmod, but we knew this rule months ago....It would have been wrong to changeover 6 days before the season...If the track would have said it was dropping IMCA sportmods in Jan.,folks could have decided then what to do....I37 had a GREAT year in 2010, and it is looking up, so why GAMBLE with somrthing possitive.....Frank t

i spoke with kevin yoder and you can not own a license from a big mod and race a sport mod so basicly if you want to run a full mod then cant afford to run a big mod you send em your license and claim card and they will send you a sport mod license ;) so come race ;)

c ya here saturday steve-o!! i want to race against the best even though i spun out all by myself lol! damn dog ran out in front of me!!!

I thougtht it was my fault with the flash...LOL

Archived