Houston Trucks

DunnRacing99

Hi all, my name is Devin Dunn. At the end of last year I purchased an ex ARTS truck back home in gerogia. My plan was to race it at tracks in the southeast (Lanier, etc.) but work moved me to the Houston area. I wanted know who the fast guys are at Houston so maybe I could follow them in practice a few times to learn the line around HMP. I think I was reading on here that Gary Strapp is one of the faster trucks. Who are some of the other fast guys? It seams like I have heard of this Gary Strapp before. Did he win some latemodel championship and run for Joe Gibbs or something? I hope to have my truck ready to go for the big race at HMP next month.

I used be a crew member for Hal Goodson on his super latemodels. I came to the Big Shot at Thunderzone Speedway back in the day with Hal. Do the trucks run there too? Is it under the same management as when the Big Shot races were run? If so I dont know if I would want to run there. They didn't treat us very fair at the Big Shot. We should have won that race and the $30,000 pay check.

Devin Dunn #99

Devin, to answer a couple of your questions, the trucks run at Houston Motorsports Park and Thunderhill Raceway. Both are NASCAR sanctioned for 2011. The trucks have 18 dates at Houston and 7 or 8 at THR this year. Both tracks have websites with their schedules on them. Thunderhill is under different ownership now than it was during the Big Shot. The management there are good people.

As far as who to learn the line from, there are several fast trucks including the 99. You could take your pick and do just fine.

Good luck. Hope to see you at the track soon.

Thats good to hear about the management at Thunderzone. I know Hal said he would never show up to race there again after the deal he was dealt. I wouldnt mind running more than one track though. I remember Thunderzone was pretty much a one groove track right? Right on the bottom? Atleast thats where I remember the super latemodels running. Wasn't much passing, lots of blocking like what happened to Hal.

Chase, has Gary ever ran latemodels? I didnt know the Nascar Championship was for superstocks, seems more like a latemodel or more upper level division. What happened to the Gibbs deal? I remember the name on the east coast a year or two back.

Also, do I have to change my number, I wanted to run 99. I did see on the Houston roster that some guys run triple digit numbers like 000 Beau Bujowski. If so I guess I can run 999.

Devin Dunn #99

There are several you could learn from. Just make it to the track, and watch who you think you might want to follow. Everybody in the truck series will be more than happy to talk to you, and give advise and or help. Great bunch

Heck they will all let you follow them.LOL

Maybe I should take my truck and play else where. Just was asking for some friendly advice. I have never driven before, just crewed. Dont mean to rub anybody wrong here. Hal said he was gonna come down and visit soon. Maybe I will just let him drive. He wont have to follow anybody to learn.

DunnRacing99 - I sent you a PM. Please read it and respond via a PM back to me.

Thanks.

Nick

Maybe I should take my truck and play else where. Just was asking for some friendly advice. I have never driven before, just crewed. Dont mean to rub anybody wrong here. Hal said he was gonna come down and visit soon. Maybe I will just let him drive. He wont have to follow anybody to learn.

I will drive it for you!! :D

Archived