indoor asa race

TheCloser

This was held in the Pontiac Silverdome in Michigan, and was the first race of the 1983 ASA season, held on Feb. 27th.

Butch Miller won this race.

In the pic, Kent Stauffer is in the #90; Buddy Schrock in the #35, and they are back in the pack, as all the leaders are in the background.

The Silverdome and the recent news surrounding it have been hard to stomach. Our first Formula car race was there a few years back and thought even at the time the area around it was rough it has gone way downhill since. I remember having drug dealers and such hanging around the hotel we where in making for an interesting week for us. I still remember the feeling driving in counting the auto plants that where either closed down, knocked down or falling down. The cool news is that whats old is new again as the new owners of the dome are currently working on setting up some races there...Silverdome Race

The top of the two pics has the Jegs#7 in it, I think Don Gregory was still driving at this point.

The second pic has winner Butch Miller in the #52, Tom Jones in the #0, and Mike Eddy in the brown #88.

I am trying to remember the #66.

I just remembered a statement made by Dick Trickle about racing at the Silverdome.

He stated:

"You have to use a lot of bump steer."

When asked what he meant, he replied:

"You bump a little, and steer a little."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived