Slot Cars

KISS_Racing

I was watching Texas Country Reporter several weeks back and they showed Circle Track & Drag Slot Car Racing. There was a gentleman nick named "Moe" who was the High School shop teacher and ran the races. I was curious and maybe one of the Garrett's know if Moe is the same one who custom paints helmets?

Ok, it is! What a small world...

For those who didn't see the story it was AWESOME! What a man....

Mark

SLOT CARS--->as a little kid, my first "race car" was a Classic Industries Manta Ray. I used a cherry red Cox controller and carried it all to the race track in the slot car world's version of a enclosed trailer...a big tackle box.

Man, Saturday was RACE DAY :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Manta-Ray-Classis-Chas...=item5aded2d60a

jay

SLOT CARS--->as a little kid, my first "race car" was a Classic Industries Manta Ray. I used a cherry red Cox controller and carried it all to the race track in the slot car world's version of a enclosed trailer...a big tackle box.

Man, Saturday was RACE DAY :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Manta-Ray-Classis-Chas...=item5aded2d60a

jay

I think there is still a track here in San Antonio. I know three years back at the New Car show I won seven rounds on the circle track before they asked me to step down and give someone else a shot... :lol:

I'd love to get a league going...

I think there is still a track here in San Antonio.

By the Food Court in Crossroads mall, or whatever they call it these days. Corner of Loop 410 and Fredericksburg road. It is called "Magnatech Raceway", given he uses magnetic braid and the cars have magnets on the bottom.

The place is owned by Jim Honeycutt; he has been doing the slot thing since the early 70's in this area.

He was in Converse in the early 70's on Hwy 78, later on Bandera road, then Nacogdoches road, then Malibu grand prix, and i think he has been in CrossRoads a couple times, including current.

He is a grouchy and kind-of-hard guy to deal with, but if you like the slot car thing, he is the only one around here.

There is also a small 3 lane club track in King's Hobby on North Lamar in Austin.

I did those cars for years, starting at age 10 in the Phillippines in 1968. My kid did it some in his teens; he won the first race he ever ran.

I still have a box of cars fom the 60's overseas. They were made by Tamiya, cost $2.75 for a complete car, and $1.50 for a Cox controller. I also have a couple almost complete Cox cars that are worth in the hundreds on Ebay.

I also made the mistake of showing Grandson Michael mine and my son's wing cars from several years back, and now he wants to go slot racing.

Cheap way to have some fun.

Archived