Opinion on Foam in Fuel Cell

CC57

Got to thinking the other day (dangerous activity), what are the advantages of having foam in my fuel cell?

I know it's supposed to - and probably does - keep your fuel from sloshing around, but how big off a benefit is that?

My last Dirt Mod, which ran on Methanol/Alcohol did not have foam in the 32 gallon fuel cell, so why do I need some in my ProTruck’s much smaller fuel cell? :unsure:

Thanks for your replies

Got to thinking the other day (dangerous activity), what are the advantages of having foam in my fuel cell?

I know it's supposed to - and probably does - keep your fuel from sloshing around, but how big off a benefit is that?

My last Dirt Mod, which ran on Methanol/Alcohol did not have foam in the 32 gallon fuel cell, so why do I need some in my ProTruck’s much smaller fuel cell? :unsure:

Thanks for your replies

Performance wise it reduces aeration. This is a huge benefit in carburated engines. The consistancy of the air trapped (or rather NOT) in your fuel means more consitant metering of fuel by weight. As your fuel load drops - without foam it has more motion and momentum thus traps more air - as you approach 1/3 tank you can actually have the fuel pull all the way away from the pickup allowing bubbles of air to hit the fuel pump creating even more aeration.

Some guys even say the foam slows the weight transfer from the fuel load movement - without it the rear feels "twitchy" or like it wants to come around faster - like a push-loose condition. The higher and further from the axle the cell is the more the fuel acts like a pendulum.

Safety wise it drastically slows spillage in the event of a rupture. The difference can be just catching fire vs erupting into a flame ball.

If you do end up running foam in your fuel cell make sure to change it out over a period of time like 1-2 years. What usually happens is the foam degrades overtime and flakes away, sometimes stopping up your fuel filter giving you unconsistant fuel delivery. It will drive you nuts if you don't consider it when you have an issue and have foam in the tank...

Theres only been two times Ive run the foam and both times I had issues. The first I went to check the fuel level and squeezed down on the foam and felt fuel about 3/4 tank, but in 15 laps I run out of fuel cause the foam was retaining the extra fuel and not allowing it to be picked up. Of course that was 15 years ago foam my be more updated now. The 2nd time the foam had come apart and stopped up my fuel system causing me to run out of fuel. I know the beneifits to running it but I dont cause of those two issues I had.

We have only used 4 in plastic poop pipe for the last 7 yrs. Used it in about 10 fuel cells with no problems what so ever. Just cut pipe around 1 in shorter than cell, splite pipe and roll up till smaller than fuel opening, stick in and release, repeat till cell is full. No more sloshing,foaming and it's real cheap.....but remenber to scrape poop off frist.

Have experienced the breakdown, clogged fuel filter issue before.. Just make sure and change it about every two years or so.. As far as other options, I remember a TIDA Late Model road race in Chihuahua Mexico. One guy had a former dirt late model he brought down for the race. He had converted it from methanol to gas but left the original fuel cell in. The previous owner had used cut up antifreeze jugs as filler material in the cell and the leftover methanol had collected water while it sat. Car ran like crap because it kept filling the fuel bowl with water every couple of laps when the collected water sloshed out of the nooks and crannies of the old antifreeze jugs..

Archived