Starting issues

usra43

I have an I-stock with a 383 high compression motor in it. Ok, it has spark, fuel, and 13 volts in the battery. The timing is right and has a D.U.I distributer. It will not run. It wants to start at first, but then doesn't. I even sparyed ether in the carb and still nothing. Could it be the starter not spinning fast enough???? I'm stumped! Please help.

Did it ever run? This is a wild shot but I had a rebuilt engine that ran good on very first start and got worse with less than an hour on the engine. Eventually wouldnt start, would try but wouldn't run, even with ether. Turned out to be bent exhaust valves in one head due to valves not seated deep enough.

hobbyfan asked the critical question.

DO NOT USE ETHER TO ATTEMPT TO START A GAS ENGINE. It washes the oil off the rings and drywalls the pistons. You can severly damage the engine with just a small blast if it don't fire and resplash the cyl walls! WD40 is almost as volatile as gasoline and will work as a starting fuel in a pinch.

pull all the spark plugs - crank it and check timing, compression and look for anything coming out of the plug holes. Also check voltage at the ign wire while doing this. When all the plugs are back in check ign voltage during cranking again and compare to the first reading. The more load on the starter - the more juice it draws - so less is available for ign etc - it's not really a speed (fast enough crank speed) as it is voltage. Most igns faqll flat when voltage is down around 8. If significantly different IGN voltage from low load (open plug hole) to full load (plugs in) - the starter is drawing so much that there is not enough left for the ign. But consider this carefully and make sure everything else is right first - you say it "trys" to start - that should be helping unload the starter! The engine really only needs ONE cyl to fire for enough speed to catch the rest!

verify firing order and all plug wire connections. When you say it has spark - i am thinking you are looking at an exposed plug gap. You can have enough spark to jump the gap at atmosheric pressure - but under compression NOT. A nice fat bright blue spark is a good indicator - but NOT all inclusive a guarantee. So just having spark to the eye is not really enough - if you have air/fuel and compression - the only thing left out is properly timed spark! verify the module in the dui - I have never used one so can't explain this step. Also check for carbon trails and cracks in the dist cap and rotor cap - including the carbon button (if dui uses one)

Jason, The car ran fine when parked... It has sat for too looong....The plugs are probably gas soaked... Pull the plugs, put a little oil in each cyl., because it has been sitting, put new plugs, PRESTO,it will now start!!!!...That motor always wanted new plugs after it sat... ITS A GOOD PIECE!! Frank t///If you need help, call me

Is this the car that sit for a while, that you traded for Jason? Just curious as to why a car of that caliber sat for so long. If i was trading a race car to sombody and knew it wouldnt start, i would be changing the plugs, coil, dist,etc to prove it ran. Such a quick fix to not do myself, hopfully its somthing eazy. JMO George Reyes.

Archived