Dinsmore doubles in Mod & Ltd. Late Model, Blaylock takes SSM, Smi

3rd Annual 1000 Buck Shootout @ I-37 Raceway, 10/22-23/10

By J M Hallas

Pleasanton, Tx.,(Oct. 23rd, 2010) Saturday brought end to this years racing season at Pleasanton's 1-37 Raceway, just south of San Antonio. The nights activities included heats in the Modifieds, Southern Sportmods and Limited Late Models to set the fields for the 30-lap features. The Front Runners ran a 50-lap Enduro, with several classes of Go-Karts running heats and features, plus a flat track motorcycle exhibition during intermission.

Dinsmore Does It One More Time

Kerrville's Greg Dinsmore flexed his muscle one last time for the year in Saturday nights 30-lap main event. Dinsmore challenged early leader Mike McCarthy and used the middle groove to get by on a restart. From there Dinsmore was able to build a lead and run unchallenged to the checkers and take home the big payday.

As green waved on the 13-car field, polesitter McCarthy beat Dinsmore into turn 1. Several cars tangled mid-pack sending Bill Pittaway into an infield tire, Bob Leinweber around in turn 1, and others to the pits with damage. On the second try McCarthy again edged ahead of Dinsmore while Jason Borlace and Kris Rye ran side by side for third.

Dinsmore tried the middle groove several times on McCarthy, but would give up some ground as McCarthy stayed glued on the bottom. Leinweber went over the turn 2 hill to bring out a caution on lap 4 On the restart Dinsmore jumped outside of McCarthy in turns 1-2 and was able take the top spot on lap 5. Darin Leonard looped it on lap 6 collecting Joe Spillman.

Once back under green Dinsmore jumped out while Mike Trigg began pressuring Chris Carroll for sixth. Lap 8 saw Dale Flanagan trying to get under Borlace for fourth, but unable to find the room. By lap 10 Dinsmore was inching away from McCarthy who had a gap back to Rye, Borlace, Flanagan and Carroll. Carlton Leverett went around in turn 1 to bring out the yellow.

On the restart Rye took a peek under McCarthy for but to no avail as Dinsmore began to rebuild his lead. At halfway it was Dinsmore, McCarthy, Rye, Borlace and Carroll in the top five, as the field became strung out. Borlace closed the gap on Rye catching him on lap 23 and looking high, then low for a way around.

With three laps to go Borlace got along side Rye and was able to finally take the spot with two to go. Out front it was Dinsmore, now coming up on the back of the field, taking the white flag with a good advantage over McCarthy. Dinsmore carefully worked by on his way to the checkers in the Sundowner RV Repair, racetechinfo.com, Wells Designs, Lowery Plumbing, JBHotshots Photography, Good Ol' Days Garage, AFCO Shocks, Fastshafts, Cen-tex Motorsports powered, Harris Chassis.

“The track finally came to the car,” commented Dinsmore. “I was trying to blow the dust off the middle line early and changed the brake bias a bit. I wanted to go to the bottom, but that's the line Mike(McCarthy) was running. So going up a lane was the best thing I could do and get it cleaned off. I was finally able to get a rhythm rolling in and rolling out.”

“I thought running the Limited Late Model race early would help me with my Modified set up. I set it up to run the bottom, but they moved the tires out on us. Running the middle line was kind of a second guess. When I tried it I got my momentum up and it worked out. I got my chance on that restart and got by Mike who was running good on the bottom. If I had missed that chance it might have been different.”

“The Modified feature usually has the track rubbering up like it did. The high side is a momentum thing if you get the car to get it up the bars and come through the corners. 30 laps is a lot of laps on the tires and full load of fuel so I added some weight. It was tight early, but freed up towards the end and started coming to me. I planned my set up for the end and it worked out.”

“This will probably be my last race for this year. We're planning to have another child and will find out more Thursday. Candace is a big part of my team. While I have a bunch of friends helping me out all the time, she's pretty much my pit crew and my traveling companion. So we'll be taking some time off.”

“We had a decent year and learned a lot of things. Changing cars in the middle of the season was probably not the right thing to do. Bob Harris and all the Harris guys have helped me out with the new settings on this car. This '11 car is much faster than the '09. I didn't think so at first, but now I think the car is spot on.”

Modifieds

8g Greg Dinsmore

20 Mike McCarthy

21 Jason Borlace

204 Kris Rye

15 Chris Carroll

1 Mike Trigg

44s Joe Spillman

39 Dale Flanagan

26 Darin Leonard

3 Carlton Leverett

12 Bob Leinweber

37 Bill Pittaway

67 Robert Liese jr

31c Marlin Samford---DNTG

29 Jamie Campbell---DNS

24 Tracey Fink---DNS

Modified heats

Heat 1

20 Mike McCarthy

204 Kris Rye

44s Joe Spillman

67 Robert Liese jr

24 Tracey Fink

39 Dale Flanagan

Heat 2

26 Darin Leonard

29 Jamie Campbell

3 Carlton Leverett

1 Mike Trigg

Heat 3

8g Greg Dinsmore

21 Jason Borlace

37 Bill Pittaway

12 Bob Leinweber

15 Chris Carroll

31c Marlin Samford

Blaylock Best in Sportmod Shootout

Despite running I-37 on a part-time basis the Blaylock team has the place figured out as Brandon Blaylock(Spring) picked up another season win. Blaylock overcame an early spin then got the lead from James Myers early in the 30-lap main event. Blaylock was then forced to hold off the hard charge from Steve Whiteaker jr. in the latter stages. Whiteaker threw everything but the kitchen sink at Blaylock during the caution filled race.

Bad luck struck early as polesitter Ray Doyon III had trouble before the green ever waved. Doyon appeared to break something in the front end forcing him to pull off. When green finally flew Moe VanKirk grabbed the lead going into turn 1 followed by Myers, Randy Bennett and Jason Stanley, but Blaylock went around in turns 3-4 to bring out a yellow.

On the second start VanKirk again got out front trailed by Myers, Bennett, Blaylock and JJ Jennings. Blaylock got by Bennett for third on lap 1, with Jennings and Whiteaker going three wide with Bennett. Jennings and Whiteaker were still side by side when Jesse James, Flint Brown and GW Hessong tangled off turn 2 slowing the action.

The battle heated up for the top spots as green waved again. Blaylock took a look under Myers for second, while Jennings tried high on Blaylock. It was Myers able to make a move on VanKirk for the lead on lap 3, with Blaylock falling in behind Myers. Myers then slipped high off turn 4 giving Blaylock an opening to get along side and take the lead on lap 6.

Jennings slid up in turn 2 with Whiteaker and Micky Helms going past for fourth and fifth. Whiteaker snagged third from VanKirk then second from Myers on lap 7. Jennings got back past Helms as they both worked by VanKirk for fourth and fifth. Jennings then pulled along side Myers taking third on lap 8. Myers was then side by side with Helms when yellow waved for Greg Rohmer.

The top three got away clean on the restart with Helms getting by Myers, but a spin by Tom Grothues brought the caution quickly back out. Once again the top three put some distance on Myers who now had Helms along side finally completing the pass. Brian Rye had just got by Myers when Wesley Malcher looped it in turn 4 for yellow on lap 14.

Finally back underway coming to halfway it was Blaylock, Whiteaker, Jennings, Helms and Rye in the top five. Behind them Johnny Torres was side by side with Myers for sixth while VanKirk and Stanley were wheel to wheel for eighth. Torres got sixth with Stanley up to seventh and Dustin Butcher making it three wide with Myers and VanKirk for eighth.

Torres and Stanley closed in on Rye when Gene Hyde went around in turn 2 for a lap 18 caution. Back to green Butcher tried working the high side, but Rye clipped the restart cone knocking it down the front stretch. Rye was sent to the tail. On the next try Robby Minten and James spun in turn 2. The third try was a charm with Butcher again up top going around Stanley for sixth. Butcher stayed up top getting along side Torres for fifth taking the spot on lap 19.

With ten to go Whiteaker was now putting some heat on Blaylock for the lead. Whiteaker would stick the nose under Blaylock in turn 1, but Blaylock would inch back away out of turn 2. Blaylock got a slight lead on Whiteaker who had Jennings on his bumper looking for second. Yellow waved again on lap 24 when Larry Jernigan and Minten spun, with Rye receiving the black flag.

Once back to green Helms took a peek low on Jennings, but ended up giving Butcher the chance to go around on the high side for fourth. Whiteaker again was nosing under Blaylock going into the corners, while Helms was trying to retake the spot from Butcher. Stanley's top ten run came to an end on lap 26 when he rolled to a stop between turns 3-4.

On the final restart, Whiteaker dove it in deep on Blaylock but Blaylock held the spot. Whiteaker continued to keep the pressure on Blaylock trying to dig on the bottom. As the white flag waved Whiteaker gave Blaylock one last try, this time on th high side. Blaylock was able to outrace Whiteaker to the checkers in his Diamondback Transport, Bebo Race Designs, Central Ready Mix, Spreen Racing Engines, HOT Chassis by Blaylock, for the win.

“I just tried not to overdrive the car,” stated Blaylock. “It would have been way to easy to overdrive the corners. I thought I could have been faster, but tried to keep myself calm. The track was totally different this time. It was more about position and staying up front. I think this is seven out the last eight times we've been here that my brother or I have won.”

“I never saw Stevie's nose under me, but under every caution he would go flying by me just to let me know he was there. It was the scariest thing I've seen. I hated it. I could hear him on the bottom a couple times but knew he couldn't get by there. I trusted him enough that he wouldn't hit me.”

“On that last restart I took it easy holding some in reserve. Maybe he would think my car was giving up and try to get a jump on me. I still had plenty of throttle left that I could have used. You have to drive a little offensive and defensive when you know someone as good as him is on your tail. I tried make sure I had the inside covered and then have enough to drag race anyone on the straights.”

Boehle Signs & Graphics Southern Sportmods

9B Brandon Blaylock

89 Steve Whiteaker jr

26g JJ Jennings

90 Dustin Butcher

175 Mickey Helms

66 Johnny Torres

58 Moe VanKirk

37 Bill Pittaway

66y Randy Yount

22 Randy Bennett

18 Larry Jernigan

771 Wesley Malcher

3j Jesse James

44H Gene Hyde

4 Robby Minten

92 Jason Stanley

11 Tom Grothues

99 Billy Meyer

4$ Brian Rye

47 James Myers

51 Greg Rohmer

21 EJ Gilpin

75 Flint Brown

14m GW Hessong

3d Ray Doyon---DNTG

Sportmod heats

Heat 1

89 Steve Whiteaker jr

66 Johnny Torres

21 EJ Gilpin

14m GW Hessong

66y Randy Yount

99 Billy Meyer

11 Tom Grothues

Heat 2

22 Randy Bennett

75 Flint Brown

90 Dustin Butcher

51 Greg Rohmer

44H Gene Hyde

771 Wesley Malcher

Heat 3

26g JJ Jennings

4$ Brian Rye

3j Jesse James

37 Bill Pittaway

4 Robby Minten

18 Larry Jernigan

Dinsmore Does the Daily Double

Driving a reworked back-up car out of the Gary Hunter stable, Greg Dinsmore started last after trouble in the heat. Dinsmore worked his way to the front and took the point from early leader Bo Beckner near halfway. After making the pass Dinsmore was able to ease away from the second place battle between Beckner and track champ, Richard Bartosh for the win.

Beckner was first into turn 1 as the 11-car Tator Plumbing Limited Late Model feature took the green. Behind him Leland Waddell spun and collected Ron Sprayue. The caution saved Beckner who spun himself in turn 2. On the second start Beckner again jumped out front followed by Bartosh, Justin Henley and Robert Danielson. Danielson was able to get around Henley for third on lap 1.

Bartosh got past Beckner in turn 1 briefly, but Beckner won the battle off turn 2 to retain the lead. Eric Floyd made his way past Henley for fourth on lap 3, while Dinsmore began his charge. Dinsmore got by car owner, Hunter for sixth on lap 5, then under Henley for fifth. Henley then spun on lap 6 collecting Sprayue who got drilled by Mike Davenport.

On the restart the top five got away with Dinsmore getting by Floyd for fourth. Dinsmore then picked off third from Danielson, with Floyd following along to fourth. Using the bottom, Dinsmore continued his march to the front taking second from Bartosh on lap 9 and catching Beckner for the lead. Making it look easy, Dinsmore ducked under Beckner and took over the top spot on lap 11.

Coming to halfway it was Dinsmore, Beckner, Floyd, Bartosh and Danielson in the top five. Bartosh retook third from Floyd on lap 17, with Danielson putting him back another spot on lap 18. With ten to go Dinsmore was increasing his margin, while Floyd was headed the wrong direction giving up spots to Hunter and Davenport.

As Beckner and Bartosh began to battle for second Dinsmore slipped away even farther moving out to a half track advantage. In the waning laps Davenport was able to grab fifth from Hunter. Up front it was Dinsmore cruising away to grab the checkers with Beckner able to hold off Bartosh for the runner-up spot.

“ After we got hit and broke a break line in the heat we really didn't know what it(the car) was going to do.' said Dinsmore. “That's a new rear suspension on that car. We've improved on it since the last car we rebuilt. That old car didn't have a lot of ways we could go. With the changes we did make the car was excellent on the bottom.”

“Starting that far back I didn't really have a plan. I just thought I'd sit back there, watch and learn. Just see where they were running, where they were getting into the corners and try to keep the car out of trouble.”

“The quick steer starting giving me trouble early in the race and got worse towards the end. But the car was exceptionally fast. Once I got off the left front it would take the pressure the coupler and be alright.”

“My hats to the regular guys. We ran a good clean race. The car is what won it for us tonight, it was a rocket,”

Tator Plumbing Limited Late Models

14g Greg Dinsmore

75 Bo Beckner

7 Richard Bartosh

49 Robert Danielson

70 Mike Davenport

14 Gary Hunter

26 Eric Floyd

37 AJ Wernette

96 Justin Henley

42 Ron Sprayue

26 Leland Waddell

18 Shane Moore---DNTG

12 Kody Hardage---DNS

77 Landon Farquar---DNS

25x Wesley Skains---DNS

10 Chris Brock---DNS

Late Model heats

Heat 1

75 Bo Beckner

14 Gary Hunter

96 Justin Henley

37 AJ Wernette

77 Landon Farquar

Heat 2

7 Richard Bartosh

49 Robert Danielson

70 Mike Davenport

10 Chris Brock

12 Kody Hardage

25x Wesley Skains---DNTG

Heat 3

28 Leland Waddell

42 Ron Sprayue

18 Shane Moore

26f Eric Floyd

14g Greg Dinsmore

Smith Scores Enduro Scramble

Young Austin Smith(Lampasas) made his second trip to I-37 Raceway a profitable one as he outlasted the 21-car Front Runner field in the 50-lap Enduro. A. Smith made the trip down three weeks ago for a little practice and ended up taking home the trophy, while tonights win pocketed him $500.

Les Bettis led the pack into turn 1 for the early lead with Jesse Sandoval, track champ Nick Hencey, A. Smith and Cameron Smith in tow. A. Smith jumped up to the high side getting by Hencey for third on lap 1. Staying on the top A. Smith powered by both Sandoval and L. Bettis for the lead on lap 3. Hencey followed A. Smith around the duo for second.

C. Smith was able to work his way past Sandoval for third on lap 8 as A. Smith and Hencey pulled away. C. Smith and Sandoval continued to battle for third until Sandoval faded. Slicing his way through slower cars and dodging debris A. Smith began to build a lead over Hencey who had C. Smith reeling him in. Hencey lost some fluid but continued on showing some smoke as C. Smith caught him.

C. Smith was able to get by on lap 31, but A. Smith was nearly ¾ of a track out front. The races only stoppage came on lap 46 when red flew for a fire under the hood. Hencey was unable to restart the race that went back to green where they had stopped. A. Smith driving the Smith Construction, Cullen-Dixon Trucking, Custom Transmissions, Grayson Trucking sponsored car motored on to the win easily.

“I thought I had finished second,” replied A. Smith after getting passed by Sandoval, who was actually unlapping himself. “But second place money was good, so I was alright with that. I was being careful towards the end and was worried someone might dump me, plus dodging all the stuff on the track. There were a few guys out there driving rough and I got tagged a couple times. I just tried to pass them on the straightaways so they couldn't get into me as easy.”

Front Runners Enduro

313 Austin Smith

13 Cameron Smith

7 Jesse Sandoval

68 Kenny Wright

98E Elizabeth Brander

67 Jimmy Carroll

55 Corey Samford

911 Nick Hencey

still sorting out the rest

Go-Karts

Adult Alcohol Karts