has this happend to you

HiTech

out running the car at cc tonight trying to cool that mother down ....son got loose in turn three .slid sideways .rolled down into the infield ..pulled back on track .got back into the gas .and would not take off anymore ..just rev...... trans goes into gear.... reverse no problem .drive no problem .but wont move when throtle up ..let throtle off and will jump back into gear ...wonder if possible he droped the filter down ..or broke the sprags ..... ..fluid looks great .and no burnt smell ..no rattles or anything of any noise .. car will move at idle .. ..... havent looked at the rear end yet ..will look at it friday night after work ...turbo 350

I know it takes discipline - but I learned the hard way too. He was spinning the tires in the infield and had em still spinning and under throttle when he went onto asphalt - the sudden shock of traction ripped up either the stator or the sprags. My guess is stator as sprags would be no go at all. either way the trans is done. (ya got to burp the throttle just before you transition to hard pack or take a straighter line that reduces tire spin somewhat before you get to the hardpack)

I know it takes discipline - but I learned the hard way too. He was spinning the tires in the infield and had em still spinning and under throttle when he went onto asphalt - the sudden shock of traction ripped up either the stator or the sprags. My guess is stator as sprags would be no go at all. either way the trans is done. (ya got to burp the throttle just before you transition to hard pack or take a straighter line that reduces tire spin somewhat before you get to the hardpack)

.. he has done that in the past ..rookie .but that was not the case this time ...he rolled back out onto the track .....this trans has many many laps in first gear .. heck he ran it in first at kyle ... so i am sure it was ready for retirement ..why did it happen the last weekend of the season ...who know.s .. havent had good luck with this old car this short season we ran it ...time for the bone yard and start anew .......... BUT WITH THE HELP OF ROSIE YES OUR VERY OWN ROSIE ...ALONG WITH JOSHUA ..RICO ..LALO .JESSE SR .. MY BROTHER ... ASHLEY .. WE GOT HER A NEW TRANS IN HER THIS MORNING ...WE WILL SEE IF IT CAN MAKE 30 LAPS ............

i had somthing kinda like wat ur talkin about an wat i found out was the shifter i had was not set right and it was between 1st an 2nd gear an it tore out all foward gears , i could back the car any where

THAT MAY HAVE BEEN POSIBLE ...THE SHIFTER IS STILL FACTORY .. YOU HAD TO BE CAREFULL WHEN STARTING AND RUNNING IT .SOMETIMES IT WOULD JUMP INTO REVERSE ...IF THAT CAR RUNS AGAIN .IT WILL HAVE A FLOOR SHIFTER ......

out running the car at cc tonight trying to cool that mother down ....son got loose in turn three .slid sideways .rolled down into the infield ..pulled back on track .got back into the gas .and would not take off anymore ..just rev...... trans goes into gear.... reverse no problem .drive no problem .but wont move when throtle up ..let throtle off and will jump back into gear ...wonder if possible he droped the filter down ..or broke the sprags ..... ..fluid looks great .and no burnt smell ..no rattles or anything of any noise .. car will move at idle .. ..... havent looked at the rear end yet ..will look at it friday night after work ...turbo 350

HT,

Whats the word? My guess would be junk in the valve body or the coupler is loose at the tranny. Maybe it seems to be going into gear but in reality it is between gears.

Mark

HT,

Whats the word? My guess would be junk in the valve body or the coupler is loose at the tranny. Maybe it seems to be going into gear but in reality it is between gears.

Mark

havent looked into it yet ..lalo made it easy with a trans he had ....but when we fired her up to load it to take to lalos shop .it moved for one second and stoped .and didnt matter what gear or how much throtle you gave it ..it would not move ..so maybe broke a gear .or the clutches just gave up ........ im going to take this trans to my trans buddy .i want to find out .and have it rebuilt ....it was a good trans .the low gear was what the car liked ... didnt get to try many laps on the trans we put in .though it seemd to work ok ..seems like he over reved that motor when the trans let go .... it pulled a rocker stud ..and let a rod bearing go .....stock bottom end with fresh bearings and oil pump and rings ..nothing special ......thought we could make three races with it ..kyle for one ..... owell we gave it what we had ..... next year is another story to be told ..next year ..

thts wat i had but it was out of an grand national floor shifter , i dnt hav the rod adjusted right at the time but with the next one it was good to go

WOW! :blink: Where did you find a Grand National for a parts car?

a guy had a shop next to mine had two tht he had one was almost stock an the other had one of the old bush v6 with some big ass turbos on it , an i built some custom exhust for his super ten mustang turbo car an some other things an got the car as part of the bill it was just a shell

thts wat i had but it was out of an grand national floor shifter , i dnt hav the rod adjusted right at the time but with the next one it was good to go

WOW! :blink: Where did you find a Grand National for a parts car?

a guy had a shop next to mine had two tht he had one was almost stock an the other had one of the old bush v6 with some big ass turbos on it , an i built some custom exhust for his super ten mustang turbo car an some other things an got the car as part of the bill it was just a shell

WOW - and I got chastised for skinning a 69 442 olds!

What did you do with it? I'm interested as you normally don't hear Grand National and shell in the same conversation. I know of Clone cars which were Regal or T-Type cars which have been converted. I am speechless to think someone shelled one of them...

What did you do with it? I'm interested as you normally don't hear Grand National and shell in the same conversation. I know of Clone cars which were Regal or T-Type cars which have been converted. I am speechless to think someone shelled one of them...

The super stockers of yesteryears used steel panels - In 74 my godfather skinned a 69 SS Camaro - in 78 we skinned a 66 Corvair Corsa Convertable - injected!

Both were bought in good shape and running. Neither were parted with most stuff rotting away in a garage only to be hauled across the scales later.

But the absolute worse was in '86 - when I worked at McBurnie Coachcraft - Don Dokken (of the rock group Dokken) had us skin a 69 427 Yenko Stingray for a Ferrari kit body. He let us have the parts (the steering wheel soon adorned my 69 Camaro for a then very reasonable 25 bucks!) so most were sold back into the collector market.

Archived