Transmission Help

chrisdavid

We run a truck at Houston. We are having more and more problems with the transmission and convertor that we are running. I would really like to buy another one, put it in, and then repair my busted one as a spare.

My problem is, I don't have a clue when it comes to transmissions. All i know is I need a Turbo 350....that is it. I would really like some help to know what I need to know when shopping for one.

We currently run our's in 2nd gear. After a long race, it won't shift into gears once we get into the pits. Within an hour or two, once cooled down, it will shift into gear normally again. We had it rubuilt at the beginning of the season. The transmission guy I used was a crook.

I would agree with bomber - not as to the person per se - but you want to deal with someone who has built for the application and experienced and solved his failures - not just the average trans shop.

What you are describing sounds like your fluid and trans are getting too hot. A better fluid (TCI has some good stuff that stands up to heat well - I have used it towing and saw good performance as high as 250 degrees - off the shelf fluid starts giving all kinds of issues around 230, not saying thats a good temp to be at - but if the fluid can handle THAT it can handle lower temps just as easily!) and more cooler area never hurts. There are some internal tweaks that the trans gurus do (I do not know what exactly) that also help reduce heat. And I know the soft parts for a racing trans are not the same soft parts off the shelf at the local Aamco....

We run a truck at Houston. We are having more and more problems with the transmission and convertor that we are running. I would really like to buy another one, put it in, and then repair my busted one as a spare.

My problem is, I don't have a clue when it comes to transmissions. All i know is I need a Turbo 350....that is it. I would really like some help to know what I need to know when shopping for one.

We currently run our's in 2nd gear. After a long race, it won't shift into gears once we get into the pits. Within an hour or two, once cooled down, it will shift into gear normally again. We had it rubuilt at the beginning of the season. The transmission guy I used was a crook.

i wouldnt run it in second period.. (correction due to 99s comment it MAY not hold up.. and it would be more likely to hold up in 1 to 1) and you lose hp running in second because more stuff in the tranny is spinning than in direct.. which creates drag and heat.. if you can i dunno what rearend u can run but if u can get ur rear gear up to run in 3rd thatd be the way to go

i still say running in 3rd is the way to go.. .. and by the way in my opinion and from what ive seen it wont hold up for ever in second

i wouldnt run it in second period.. itll never hold up and you lose hp running in second because more stuff in the tranny is spinning than in direct.. which creates drag and heat.. if you can i dunno what rearend u can run but if u can get ur rear gear up to run in 3rd thatd be the way to go

Good point - the higher pressures are a parasitic loss. And there is more engagement in the planetaries = more heat. Thanks.

i wouldnt run it in second period.. itll never hold up and you lose hp running in second because more stuff in the tranny is spinning than in direct.. which creates drag and heat.. if you can i dunno what rearend u can run but if u can get ur rear gear up to run in 3rd thatd be the way to go

The old ARTS trucks and the current Pro Trucks in addition to many Sport Mods have been running these trannies in 2nd gear for years with few to no problems. It may not be ideal, and I agree with running in final gear whenever possible, but to say that it will not hold up is just plain false.

Trans cooler man. Have a very good cooler on board and preferebly in front of the radiator or where ever it can get direct air to it for it to cool. Maybe in the cockpit mounted by the passenger window. Don't put it close to the trans cause it wont give it time to cool the fluid. And if you have a dust cover under the converter, take it out. It traps heat in the bell housing. It WILL HOLD UP IN 2ND GEAR. I ran my thunderstock at thunder hill this year a few times in 2nd gear and NEVER had a problem or leaks even. Try that, it WILL work unless you got a front pump problem or bad clutches.

Chirs,

I 2nd the referral for Pete in Mgnolia. Pete is still racing (and winning) in his Dirt Street Stcok. His dad was a heck of a racer too (ran Battleground for awhile) and realy knew his stuff. Helped me out on more than one occassion.

And Pete learned a lot from him. If you call him or bring your tranny to them, tell them what you are using it for and what your'e experiencing, they can take care of you.

Just curious, are you the guy that bought Neal's truck? If yes, I believe we met when you were purchasing your trailer. One of your fellow truck racers (Dale Sheen) and I were purchasing tools from the seller that same day.

Chirs,

I 2nd the referral for Pete in Mgnolia. Pete is still racing (and winning) in his Dirt Street Stcok. His dad was a heck of a racer too (ran Battleground for awhile) and realy knew his stuff. Helped me out on more than one occassion.

And Pete learned a lot from him. If you call him or bring your tranny to them, tell them what you are using it for and what your'e experiencing, they can take care of you.

Just curious, are you the guy that bought Neal's truck? If yes, I believe we met when you were purchasing your trailer. One of your fellow truck racers (Dale Sheen) and I were purchasing tools from the seller that same day.

Chris drives the 52 truck. I think Gary C. bought Neal's truck - now the 00.

Thanks for all the input. We are going to try to put a better fluid in. Any ideas on how to get the oil out of the convertor without taking it off. I know it holds about 2qts.

Also, our cooler is located on the deck of the truck, directly behind the back window. I'm afraid it isn't getting cool enough based on where it is at. No air is really passing over it. Thinking about adding an inline cooler from AFCO as well.

As far as Pete in Magnolia, I called them and talked to a guy named Chris. He took my info and said Pete would call me. Still haven't heard back from him. :(

I'll keep everyone updated. As aslways, we really appreciate all the help! This site is great! Thanks, Chris David

Thanks for all the input. We are going to try to put a better fluid in. Any ideas on how to get the oil out of the convertor without taking it off. I know it holds about 2qts.

Also, our cooler is located on the deck of the truck, directly behind the back window. I'm afraid it isn't getting cool enough based on where it is at. No air is really passing over it. Thinking about adding an inline cooler from AFCO as well.

As far as Pete in Magnolia, I called them and talked to a guy named Chris. He took my info and said Pete would call me. Still haven't heard back from him. :(

I'll keep everyone updated. As aslways, we really appreciate all the help! This site is great! Thanks, Chris David

Chris, you'll never get all of the fluid out of the converter - even when you do take it off. You can get quite a bit out with the converter off, but not all. Don't sweat that. Next time you do a fluid change, just use the good fluid that you plan to use. Run it for a few races and do another fluid change. You'll have most of the old stuff out by then.

Several of the trucks (ours included) have the cooler located where yours is and have run that way for years without any problems. I wouldn't think that would be part of the problem.

Archived