Joe Aramendia story from TMS

rebelracewriter

Well here's the biggest part of my BGN story. Sorry for the delay, but I waiting on info from his PR guy, Joe Elbow. Then when I got it, I was working out of town( DAMN those "real" jobs---actually I have a pretty good job, with the greatest boss in the world, who allows me to schedule work around my racing schedule, as well as use of the company vehicle) I'm still waiting to get the crew members, since the file he sent me won't open.

PS, In a message I got from Chuck Licata, Joe Aramendia will be racing the TSRS race at THR tonight, thanx to Bobby New loaning him a car.

San Antonio driver makes Texas Busch Series Debut.

By J M Hallas

Looking for a different perspective to cover the BGN race from, I ran across local driver Joe Aramendia and his PR man Joe Elbow, who were waiting to be interviewed on the Austin-based Motorsports Zone. The light bulb went on.... what better place to cover a race, than the pits of a local racer, who’s making the big time. I asked permission and was graciously granted access. Joe’s response was, “If anyone gives you any trouble, have them call on the radio and I’ll let them know it’s O.K.”

Aramendia, who started his racing career at Pan American Spwy. in San Antonio when he was 24, finished second to last in a 30-lap feature during his first race. Joe was inspired by his father, the late James Aramendia to continue his dream. One night when Joe and his dad were alone at the tracks watching the cars speed around the oval, Joe told his father, “Dad, I think I can do that. What do you think?” Without hesitation, his father replied, “I bet you can.”

Joe then became a long time mainstay at San Antonio Speedway, where I first saw him race in the late model division. He met and married former SA. Spwy. racer, Carolyn Hull, who now sits atop his pit box, recording laps times.

In 2002 Joe moved into the NASCAR All-Pro series, where he finished in sixth place in points. This garnered him first in Rookie points and earned him the prestigious Sportsmanship Award. After one year in All-Pro, and realizing he had a limited number of good years left in racing, he decided that he needed to move up in class and accelerate his learning curve.

In January 2003, team owner, brother and business partner, John Aramendia purchased several Busch Grand National cars from AJ Foyt Racing and Joe Aramendia began his latest move up the racing ladder. Driving for the first time in a Busch car at the Rockingham 200, Joe qualified 25th in a field of 43 drivers – only one spot behind the top rookie qualifier. After finishing 25th ahead of numerous veteran Busch series drivers, Joe moved up two spots at the Las Vegas Speedway, finishing third among rookies.

Texas debut gets off to rocky start

In his first attempt to qualify for the O’Reilly’s 300 at Texas Motor Spwy. Joe spun coming out of turn two and backed the car hard into the wall. The wreck totally destroyed the rear of his Aramendia Plumbing/Amiracing.com/Monte Carlo. The team scrambled to find a car, and with the help from Team Haas and Troy Cline, were able to find a ride, along with part of the NetZero pit crew. Joe had enough points to take a provisional start, in the 41st position. The paint scheme may not have been his easily recognizable Texas Flag, but sported the Texas Emblem on the hood, and a Lone Star on the side.

At the start of the O’Reilly’s 300, Joe moved up four spots before the first caution came in the early laps. While running 35th the leader, who was setting a fast pace, came past putting him a lap down on lap 27. On lap 32 fate struck again, while trying to stay low and out of the way, Joe spun in front of Bobby Hamilton jr. with both cars finding the outside wall. Joe took responsibility for the accident, saying that he just got too low, below the yellow line and lost control. Hamilton, driving the Team Marines car, remarks, were quite harsh and included use of a grenade. Apparently he has forgotten his rookie year, which wasn’t so long ago and wasn’t that good either.

The team thrashed on the car during numerous pit stops and with a ton of duct tape and big sledge hammer were able to affect enough repairs to keep the car competitive. The biggest trouble was around the fuel fill area, but the crew was able to refill the tank, add tires and get back out without losing another lap. Joe restarted in 37th spot, one lap down. After another couple of quick cautions, Joe pitted for more repairs and duct tape, and restarted 35th.

Just before another yellow flag on lap 80, Joe’s times were the best they been, turning the 1.5 mile track in 29.90 seconds. During the ensuing pit stop, the crew changed tires and refueled. Crew chief Corrie Stott from Troy Cline's crew, decided to adjust the car with air pressure, adding 1 lb. to the right front and taking a pound out of the right rear to close the stagger up. As the race restarted, Joe found himself in 31st.

By halfway Joe had moved into 28th, the first car two laps down. A pit stop on lap 112 was for fuel only, with Joe still in 28th, fighting a tight condition and lap times slowing to 30.50. On lap 135 Morgan Sheppard fell out moving Joe up one spot to 27th. Being the only car two laps down, he was kinda in position limbo. Six laps later, the leader again cruised by, putting the him down three laps.

Lap 172 saw Mike Wallace blow up and start a new round of pit stops. The crew changed four tires, putting the air pressure back, refueled and adjusted the wedge, to try to fight a tight in the middle condition. On the restart Joe was 26th, three laps down and again on a lap by himself. Joe was able to miss the “Big One” on lap 190 and as cars fell out, Joe continued to gain position. Brother, John, was quoted, “I don’t need any more days like this.” As the checkered flag finally flew under caution, the tower clicked Joe into 20th, the crew and myself, gave a big cheer. 20th is the last permanent position on the TMS scoring tower.

One of the best quotes came after John found out that the TV coverage had said he bought the back-up car. John said, “Now my wife knows I bought it!” “If I come home to house full of new furniture, I’ll know why.” He added, “I have long drive back to think about how to make up.” He had mentioned to her that they were renting the car, and were only thinking about buying it.

Thanks for the article. I had 79 on scanner that day and I was curious who the crew chief was. It was really obvious that it was someone with experience and am not surprised to find out that it was DC. It was also apparent that it was a "new" deal because JA would "Sir" him during the conversations!

Jay

FWIT re: Hamilton Jr.---> While I felt he was "the victim" in the wreck, his comments were not appropriate from someone who would not be in the position he is in if he wasn't a member of the "lucky sperm club".

Archived