ok motor heads ..

HiTech

.. what is yahs take on this .........i have never liked it ...always thought it would create other problems ..one running that cylinder cooler than the rest ..... or two moving up and down with the piston ... so never had it done ..am i wrong ....

the sleeves are not that thick, when the boreing is done, most of the cylinder wall is usually still ther, the overbore does not go all the way down, leaving a ridge to hold the sleeve on bottom while the head holds the top, I have run lots of engines with multiple sleeves, never a problem. JMO

now i should have added ..the cylinder suggested for a sleeve. is leaking water aboult an 1/8 inch from the bottom of the cylinder ..this is a newly bored block ..maybe 15 laps on it .. i had to pressure the block 16 pounds just to find that leak ..

That all depends.... what color are you wanting to paint it?

Seriously tho - Until I read that last one I was gonna just say yea why not. - the problem is what CAUSED it. If just boring hit water from the stress of the bore you either plain got too big - or you have you some serious core shift. On a street motor no problem - but I would not risk it on a racer.

If the crack was there before ya bored it (first OOPS - very high prob spot that magnaflux or dye should have caught - It is possible that the crack was there and just had not come all the way up - but thats not too common) then go ahead but be careful (below).

If not sure - you should sono before spending more good money.

But in a perfect world - sleeving should be done before boring any of the other cyls. - on non siamesed its not as big a deal but it does still effect adjacent cyls at the tops - right where the piston is when the flame lights and lesser at the bottom (not as critical)! As jay pointed out for round - but also affects taper! by the time ya hone it all back in - you may have given up a thou or three. depends on how tight your guy cut and honed em. then it comes down to piston quality. Some slugs can handle extra room but most will try to make a u-turn in the hole when hit with a sudden peak cyl pressure spike - one misfire can ruin yours and the guys behind ya's night....

Archived