Meyer Speedway Late Models, On-Track Photos, 1970

tommyo

Here's some ontrack photos of the NASCAR Late Model Sportsman cars from 1970 - I can't believe it's 40 years ago already!!

1st photo - "Alabama Gang" member Red Farmer in his own F-97, '63 Ford Fairlane

2nd photo - Houston's own Tony Barcelona in Ol Red#8, a '64 Ford Galaxy

3rd photo - Joe Holly of Praieville LA owned and drove this '65 Chevelle #82- He was the Meyer Track Champion for 1970

4th photo - Houston's Leroy Farmer drove this '67 Dodge Charger #13 - don't remember who owned it

5th photo - Ronnie Chumey (no introduction needed) drove this '66 Chevelle #98 for Gordon Van Liew

6th photo - Owner-driver Tracy Trotter in his '65 Chevelle #5

7th photo - Tony Bettenhausen started his racing career in the Gorden Van Liew '57 #99 Chevrolet

8th photo - Freddy Fryar of Baton Rouge LA in his own '65 Chevelle #41

9th photo - Houston's Phil Cronin in his own '63 Ford Galaxy #2

post-12610-1285444060.jpg

post-12610-1285443925.jpg

post-12610-1285443835.jpg

post-12610-1285443871.jpg

post-12610-1285443899.jpg

post-12610-1285443989.jpg

post-12610-1285444015.jpg

post-12610-1285445863.jpg

post-12610-1285444112.jpg

That 98 Car pictured, is I believe, the Mexican Chevelle out of the Vita-Fresh stable. Notice the roof area does not match the rest of the car. If I'm correct, that car was a Pontiac Lemans that was partially built by Freddy Sanchez, and the front, side, and rear bodywork was switched to Chevrolet Chevelle.

Bobby,

The 5 Car was a '64 Chevelle Malibu body mounted on a '57 Chevrolet Belaire convertible frame. However, I recall at least two Chevelles, a '65 and a '68, were built on Chevelle frames modified with leaf springs on the rear. Possibly Chrysler springs. Some later Chevelles used Chevy Truck arms with coil springs.

Yes, those were two other practices of the period - still using the 55-57 frames under late model bodies, and then later using the truck arms. I know the person I used to crew for built at least one truck arm car, after I headed off to school.

Was the #5 ever sold to another racer? From my memory of another picture on this forum, it looks a lot like a car credited to Kent Lewis.

Bobby,

The 5 Car LMS was built and previously owned by Bob Barnes, and driven by Leroy Friend, before being purchased by J Buchanan, G Smith, T Smith, and T Trotter, with Tracy doing the driving. After the '70 season, it was sold and raced elsewhere, but not in Houston as far as I know. To my knowledge, no relation to any Kent Lewis LMS.

I believe Bob Barnes passed away a couple of years later.

That 98 Car pictured, is I believe, the Mexican Chevelle out of the Vita-Fresh stable. Notice the roof area does not match the rest of the car. If I'm correct, that car was a Pontiac Lemans that was partially built by Freddy Sanchez, and the front, side, and rear bodywork was switched to Chevrolet Chevelle.

Was this the same Freddy Sanchez from Houston Auto Salvage in the 70's-80'

• 1 month later...

I figured that was him.

I pulled that picture out and his eyes lit up and he said where in the world did you find that? Told him I got it from LSSZ and told him about the history section. He took it and said he is hanging it on the wall. He said the car was originally a GTO and was Chevy powered. He said he thought Tony Bettehausen was the driver in the picture (this was 40 years ago) and mentioned Van Liew purchased the car. They built it with a specific race and track in mind that had no specific rule on motor/body combinations (at least not GM). It was a month or so before the race and the rules were changed or clarified. The motor had to match the make. Freddie said “that motor was one bad.............” well lets just say they were rather happy with the motor, and decided to change to the Chevelle bodywork so it could be raced with the Chevy motor. It is the “Mexican Chevelle”

Hopefully not retelling something that you all know I just wanted to relay what he told me. Pretty sure I got most of it right.

Whitey,

I'm not familiar with all of the details, but basically that matches what I recall. I believe that is Ronnie Chumley in the picture, but he later drove the '57 Chevy that is pictured being driven by Tony Bettenhausen II. So, more likely than not, Tony drove it on occasion. Hopefully, Freddie is doing well.

Larry T

He is doing well. Still working hard. Like most of that era he is getting old. I try to go by a couple times a year just to say hi and see whats happening. Haven't been able to talk him out to the track yet though. I don't believe he has been to the races since the early 80's.

He always says as I leave "don't forget about us poor Mexicans down here."

Freddy never changes.

He is doing well. Still working hard. Like most of that era he is getting old. I try to go by a couple times a year just to say hi and see whats happening. Haven't been able to talk him out to the track yet though. I don't believe he has been to the races since the early 80's.

He always says as I leave "don't forget about us poor Mexicans down here."

Freddy never changes.

Sounds exactly like the Freddie Sanchez I remember.

Archived