Scott Speed should quit his day job....

badsonic

Now you guys KNOW we aren't supposed to promote doing ILLEGAL things on the street... ;)

Sorry, had to get my disclaimer in there...

Thats great! When I took the z06 around the Alamo Dome I got some looks like those. I loved the little girl with her hands over her ears...

No we can not condone endorse or in any way support illegal driving - especially with this gem which is so vague (and currently being challenged in the courts as an impermissably vague law) all it takes is a newly hired and fresh out of the academy officers interpretation and angering him by accelerating from a red light to 55 at 2am in 1st gear (why shift - holding the coffee and turning left in three blocks anyway) with no wheel spin and loud pipes and no other car around...even with speed limit at 55... in a vehicle displying your race cars stickers (tow vehicle) - and then when he pulls you over and asks "do you know why I pulled you over?" you respond by saying "because you saw my Dunkin Donuts cup and thought I had a donut?" At least then you can have the unequalled joy of spending 2500 on an attorney (after getting out of jail 2 days later and paying the impound), 750 court costs and get the charge reduced to "defective muffler".

It just ain't worth doing ANYTHING on the streets... the law is great - maybe the definitions need a little work (commentary in red)!

§ 545.420. RACING ON HIGHWAY.

( a) A person may not

participate in any manner in:

(1) a race;

(2) a vehicle speed competition or contest;

(3) a drag race or acceleration contest;

(4) a test of physical endurance of the operator of a vehicle; or

(5) in connection with a drag race, an exhibition of vehicle speed or acceleration or to make a vehicle speed record.

( b ) In this section:

(1) "Drag race" means the operation of:

(A) two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other; or

( B ) one or more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same place to the same place, for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of the vehicle or vehicles in a specified distance or time. What about planning what time to leave for work in order to arrive there on time? One vehicle against the clock is all it takes for a drag race...

(2) "Race" means the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to:

(A) outgain or outdistance another vehicle or prevent another vehicle from passing; umm no exception for merging, passing as a car slows to turn or even for driving the speed limit and passing a farmer on his tractor?

( B ) arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles; Again no exceptions? One must always do the AFTER YOU ... NO AFTER YOU... NO AFTER YOU at every driveway, intersection or on ramp?

or

( C ) test the physical stamina or endurance of an operator over a long-distance driving route. Driven across Texas lately? Its a LONG drive west to east...so don't even HOPE to make it across in one day

( c ) [blank]

(d) Except as provided by Subsections (e)-(h), an offense

under Subsection (a) is a Class B misdemeanor.

Yep and the consequences are as bad or worse than a drunk driving...especially if the officer was further angered for being admonished by the judge, DA and shift supervisor for overcharging my 18 yo kid oops I mean the defendant and still patrols the same small town...

BECAUSE:

(e) An offense under Subsection (a) is a Class A misdemeanor if it is shown on the trial of the offense that:

(1) the person has previously been convicted one time of an offense under that subsection;

(f) An offense under Subsection (a) is a state jail felony if it is shown on the trial of the offense that the person has

previously been convicted two times of an offense under that subsection.

On the serious side though - there is only one place for any type of motor sports - the organized track. Thats the only way to win and have mean anything. Street racing is full of wanna be and losers. (I wonder if bicycles are considered Vehicles - it does not specify MOTOR vehicles!)

And as Mr Harvey said ... and now for the rest of the story...

A week prior to this incident the truck came home with 16,000 miles worth of 50 series rubber relocated from the rear tires to the fender wells... so the kid was not quite as innocent as he thought. He didn't need the arrest though - but the officer did not know I had already called the note on the truck and depleted his entire summer savings back to MY pocket. Just a shame the lawyer got it.

Archived