Meyer Broncos

tommyo

How cool!!! That is my grandfather, Boyce Young, behind dad and Tony topping off the #8.

Dad said he always went to the track with him and Tony. All of our pictures got ruined in a flood in Alvin in 1979, so this is very special to us. Thanks a million.

Lanny Young

TPS#18

I get discouraged about all the man-hours I invest in this site, but when I read a post like the one I'm quoting here from my friend Lanny Young, it all comes back into focus why I do this...

I honestly believe that this history section is the true, long-term contribution Lone Star Speedzone is making to the Texas racing community.

So, keep posting the wonderful pictures. It makes it all worth my while when folks like Lanny are touched in a way no one really expected.

Nick

• 5 months later...

The '60s era Bronco Stocks racing at Meyer Spdwy created a lot of memories. Most good, some not so good. During the '65 racing season, quite often the Feature Race winning car would be required to tear down the engine, removing heads and intake manifold for rule compliance inspection. However, after an early season Feature Race, along with the normal tear down, another engine was protested and was also torn down after a hard fought for 13th place finish. I wonder if any oldtimers recall this event, and know the specifics? It occured at the speedway office carport. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Some questions for the bronco guys.

In the 1965 July 3rd Bronco hundred lapper there were two cars that were not regulars. One was a 1956 Ford Crown Victoria painted black and red with I think all the chrome in place, the headers came out at the edge of the hood and turned out over the fenders, the drivers name was Dave Reynolds and was from Denver Colorado. The car ran about half of the race before dropping out.

The second car was a solid white car that we never saw off the trailer, we missed most of the warm ups. It might have been #16, from the back it appeared to be a 1950 Ford and the rear window was cut out into the roof making a large opening.

Anyone remember these or can add anything about them, was the white car not allowed to run.

Two more questions, I remember a blue car getting up on top of the second turn guard rail during a heat race and tearing out about 30 or 40 feet of the top rail. Does anyone remember the car number, driver and if the car was a Pontiac or Chevy.

Lastly in one of my old programs I have written in that Ray Withrow's first late model was a 1958 Ford but I remember it being a 1959 model which is correct.

Thanks; Byron

• 5 months later...

Archived