Meyer Speedway Photos

tommyo

Strain your brain - Billy Perran drove this beautiful metalic blue (actually, 1955-56 Dodge Royal Blue) coupe in 1963-64. Shown here with George Nash ontrack in 1963, and at a pre-season local tribute to A.J.Foyt, January 1964 , this car was probably the first really custom modified to show up at Meyer Speedway. Too bad this isn't in color. While this was when most

cars had the standard '37-'38 Chevrolet grills, Billy's car had this hood-grill combination that he created. Later, other cars, including his, would show-up with Fiat grills, and pieces of different vehicles incorporated into their bodies. But Billy here was the first. OK. Now, does anyone remember what Billy drove in 1962? It was a yellow coupe, with a Tweety-Bird painted on the side. Does ANYONE have any pictures of THAT car? Jimmy McKinnzie, I believe you're out there somewhere - do you still have any of your dad's old photos?

post-3-1284955140.jpg

post-3-1284955147.jpg

Thanks for the postings - this is a yellow modified, but not Billy's yellow modified. Billy's car in 1962 is possibly the same actual 1937-38 Chevrolet Coupe as he used in 1963-64, but it still had the original grill on it - again, can't remember if it was a '37 or '38, but definately one or the other - these yellow cars are from Meyer, but much later years. Still looking for Billy's car!!

Thanks for the postings - this is a yellow modified, but not Billy's yellow modified. Billy's car in 1962 is possibly the same actual 1937-38 Chevrolet Coupe as he used in 1963-64, but it still had the original grill on it - again, can't remember if it was a '37 or '38, but definately one or the other - these yellow cars are from Meyer, but much later years. Still looking for Billy's car!!

Looks like a CAE car. How 'bout it Mark?

The Yellow "Modified Stock" Canary Yellow Number 6 eventually was turned upside down in turn 4 at the start of feature race in 1962' and was basically destroyed.

That was the night that Billy climbed out of the car and made a path toward the flagman. The story is the traffic lights were on caution and the flagman was waving the green flag. The car behind Billy shoved a bumper up the rear of Tweety Bird and turned him over.

Somewhere out there if it still exsist is a photo of the loved "Tweety Bird" on it's roof. Mac had it posted at the entrance gate one night.

The Tweety Bird was a 1937 Ford (Full Bodied) and was one of my favorites driven by Billy.

There are a lot of stories and photos on the "Meyer Speedway photos, stories, memories, thread" already on this site.

The Yellow Modified above was driven by Jackie Woosley I believe in the late 60's. If I recall 68-69..

Billy Perran's Tweety Bird

Regarding the post about Billy's Modified Stock and Meyer Speedway, the 37 Ford he drove was like the one posted below but of course this is a street rod.

But it give's us an idea of the body style.

post-8338-1285897313.jpg

post-8338-1285897417.jpg

• 3 months later...
Somewhere in all my crap I have a picture of the tweety bird car, when I get back in town I will have to look, I am almost sure I have.

You are correct Jimbo......

Did you ever find the pic of the tweety car?? I would appreciate a post if you have!!

Regarding the Modified Stock Car #6, that was driven in '61 at Meyer Spdwy by Billy Perran and was an original Modified Stock Car from the "Class of '61", it was a full bodied '37 Ford Coupe that was painted yellow with a "Tweety Bird" painted on the side, as stated by Randy/Midget 85. More than likely powered by a small block Chevy V8, it was likely raced in '62 as well, but definitely in '61. Being a transition year, and going from the 1/4 mile oval to the 1/2 mile oval, quite possibly some of the old modified '32-'34 Ford Modifieds from the late '50s & '60 were updated with '37 or newer bodies. At least some of the racers possibly stayed with what they were familiar with, but after Buddy Evans showed up with a quite modified '37 Chevy Coupe Modified #55, orange & white, that soon became the #53 Car driven by Billy Wade, it wasn't long before the stampede was on to build modified '37/'38 Chevy body/chassis Modifieds. At least that's the way I remember it. :ph34r:

Archived