Motorcraft Carb for 2.3

texana55

Stay away from the late 70's - most of em are CARB (California Air Resources Board) rated - basically retrofits for non smog to meet CA EPA mandates. Very few cores for non CA are available. The cutoff years are 74/75.

The two barrel from a 1972 351 F150 are a good unit but hard to find.

We had a really good motorcraft carb on our ministock that apparently was a model used in the 70's. Does anyone have numbers and parts supplier sources for some of the better function motorcraft carbs like what would have been used in the 70's?

... dont know the number off the top of my head ,,but when i get to work tonight ..ill go into our old parts system and see what i can find .. we should have a kit for it.... ill get you the possible kit number ..... still have poeple rebuilding those ..... .. does this carb have a flip up vent on top ..

We had a really good motorcraft carb on our ministock that apparently was a model used in the 70's. Does anyone have numbers and parts supplier sources for some of the better function motorcraft carbs like what would have been used in the 70's?

... dont know the number off the top of my head ,,but when i get to work tonight ..ill go into our old parts system and see what i can find .. we should have a kit for it.... ill get you the possible kit number ..... still have poeple rebuilding those ..... .. does this carb have a flip up vent on top ..

not sure bout the vent on the top. the kid is having continued trouble with the carbs they are getting at the parts store, and thought that maybe it's cause they are asking for one for an 83 mustang... I told them I would post on here and see if i could sleuth something out for them.

not sure bout the vent on the top. the kid is having continued trouble with the carbs they are getting at the parts store, and thought that maybe it's cause they are asking for one for an 83 mustang... I told them I would post on here and see if i could sleuth something out for them.

The only "stock" carbs used on the 2.3 are the Autolite 5200 series. These carbs are basically a Weber 32/36 clone, flowing about 290 CFM. What you are looking for is the stock 2-bbl for the V-8 application, the Autolite (motorcraft) 2100 series. These are found on any Ford V-8 from the mid-1960s thru the late 1980s. They do come in different CFM ratings but I believe most are ~390 CFM. THere is a mythical beast from some 1960s truck application that supposedly flows ~600+ but I have never seen one. You wouldn't need that much on a 2.3 anyway..

The Autolite (Motorcraft) 2100 is a Holley clone. The metering circuits are almost identical to the Holley 4412 2 BBL. Visually they look the same but parts do not interchange with the possible exception of the main jets. I don't recall if the thread is the same but might be..

The last year they put the 2 barrel carb on was 1982, it was the 32/36 carb. We used to run those in TPS was a pretty good carb. I have one or 2 and a wide assortment of jets and air bleeds for them. Only problem I had with one was the secondary tab broke off one night,only ran on 1 barrell, but still would hit at least 7300 with the big fuel pump I had on it.

The last year they put the 2 barrel carb on was 1982, it was the 32/36 carb. We used to run those in TPS was a pretty good carb. I have one or 2 and a wide assortment of jets and air bleeds for them. Only problem I had with one was the secondary tab broke off one night,only ran on 1 barrell, but still would hit at least 7300 with the big fuel pump I had on it.

those were good carbs ...if you knew what to do to them ...,, the 350 and 500 .helps just alittle off the turns ..

Only problem I had with one was the secondary tab broke off one night,only ran on 1 barrell, but still would hit at least 7300 with the big fuel pump I had on it.

If the secondary does not open the entire secondary circuit does not flow fuel - hence the pump gets no credit for the way it ran. However - you were obviously really close if not spot on in the tuning curve. About 30% of total fuel comes thru the secondaries if you are running a power valve (or in motorcraft speak - enrichment control valve) of any kind. Making 7300 is not the point - an engine will still attain very close to its max RPM against given load with less air flow - it still converts the same amount of energy just over more time - hence it does it at lower rates of load acceleration. And differing RPMs requires differing throttle position to attain max HP at that specific RPM - in other words WOT does not ALWAYS give the optimum air and fuel curve to an engine over the load curve when you vary the load (windforces and other rolling resistances - or the dyno drum)! because the more efficient your conversion of energy is (tune) at any given RPM the less air flow is needed to attain same HP / lb of fuel ratio...

This is why Vacc secondaries (or very "soft" progressive mechanical at the least) are best for use when corners, decellerations and reaccelerations exist. They only allow the extra air when the engine can actually USE it Based on so many variable tuning and porting parameters...full mechanicals are best when ya just stomp the go and shut er down at the top.

A quadrajet is real cool when tuned in ... I could run the engine to 4500 and add and take away load quickley and watch it "pop" the air blade as if just an enrichment circuit. So I look at it as when you over throttle and loosen up the car what happens? it "unloads" the engine - the driver can not react as fast or as much as the very vacc curve created by the load! So its like traction control - you can hold it to peak load instead of peak hp on a dyno you can do the same on the track.

Archived