Houston

thumper

I donk know what that chemical is.

Isobutane is some nasty stuff - r300 refrigerant. Still used in the UK for household refers. In USA its used as an industrial refrigerant (I think some of the self contained commercial fishing boats use it now rather than ammonia) and as the fuel in Bic lighters.

Since it's lost in back pages now...

A major accident Sunday morning has forced the closure of all lanes of Interstate 10.

I-10 is shut down between Highway 365 and Winnie. Authorities say, at best, it will reopen around noon on Monday.

The wreck happened around 3:30 a.m. It involved an 18-wheeler and a truck pulling a trailer with a racing car on it.

The 18-wheeler was carrying isobutane, which leaked. It is very flammable and toxic, and could be fatal. It's most commonly used in the preparation of aerosol spray. It's what gives the spray it's propellent qualities. It's also used in refrigeration systems.

The driver of the 18-wheeler, 30-year-old Branden Swiney of Orange, suffered a leg injury and has been taken to Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital.

He told authorities that he was trying to pass the pickup truck pulling the racing car, and he thought an oncoming car was heading towards him. He swerved and struck the pickup.

30-year-old John Whittington of Vidor was the driver of the pickup, his 59-year-old father was the passenger. Neither was hurt.

Sunchase subdivision at I-10 and Hamshire Road has been evacuated. The Red Cross has set up an evacuation shelter at Hamshire Baptist Church.

There are 68 people in the shelter.

If you're heading westbound to Houston, you will be diverted at Highway 365 onto Highway 124.

If you're driving eastbound towards Beaumont, you will be diverted in Winnie onto Highway 73.

The Department of Public Safety, the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office and the Precinct 4 Constable's Office and are firefighters are working the scene.

Authorities say the leak is spilling out of about one-inch hole, so they're hoping not a lot has spilled.

They plan on cleaning the chemical up by siphoning it from the damaged tanker into a new one.

I-10 closed for four days....Good thing that didn't happen in Houston!!

So what is the government going to ban now?? Race cars,trailers,semi trucks or that wierd gas??

Im glad everyone was OK.Many years ago a semi fell off of one of the spagatti intersections and burst open.I believe it was near Sharpstown.Lots of people died trying to get a look at the carnage.The truck was filled with amonia and their lungs were immediately burnes.Around 30 years ago I think. My Neeces husband was in the Edna race too but he went south.He lives in Corpus and drives #89. Steve jr.

Archived