Austin Self Hits The Wall at Thunderhil 8/28/10

TexasHighDef

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So.. let brotherly love continue, please,

and we're steered back to the trucks once again..... :lol:

Ahhh yes, the trucks, where the racers have figured out how to race each other aggresively but respectfully for the most part. When one truck breaks, others do their best to get them back on the track in time for the feature. What a concept...

Heaven forbid anyone aspire to that. :huh:

I hope what I said was not taken wrong. I didn't mean it to mean if that is how it came across. I am just saying these guys are good racers and can race each other without wrecking. I think it really was just racing and nothing intentional. I don't like the wrecks, some people do. I loved the racing last race.

When you look at the times they are all close to each other. The car that started on the pole had a time of 16.035. The fast time set Saturday was 15.385. That is barely half a second difference. When we changed the way we inverted a few races back, we also made it where any car that was 1 second or more slower that the fast time set that night would not be included in the invert. In other words they had to stay at the back of the field.

And sorry 3Car, I went back and reread what your least favorite words are. I really don't mean it in a bad way, but sometimes it is just that.

Chase.. I think all the trucks are broke, could we borrow some of your time so you could help us "fix them" too? i mean we oviously are missing something in our checklist.. heheheh

So with all this wall action HMP & THR lately.. when are we going to say THR/HMP should have a safer barrier? I can only imagine the G's that Austin pulled wide open into that wall.. Or Miss Baker in HMP few weeks back, would Safer barrier help racers but hurt racing? I could see HMP having it in the corners.. but it would really make for a tight track on the straights.. (not saying we should go do here.. only does the cost of something like that pay for itself?)

So.. let brotherly love continue, please,

and we're steered back to the trucks once again..... :lol:

Ahhh yes, the trucks, where the racers have figured out how to race each other aggresively but respectfully for the most part. When one truck breaks, others do their best to get them back on the track in time for the feature. What a concept...

Heaven forbid anyone aspire to that. :huh:

If you ever go to a Truck race at HMP, it is virtually guarenteed that half the field is running with parts borrowed from the other half, with the loaning of parts going up and down the field. And the guys with the fix it knowledge are helping those of us who aren't quite sure which bolt goes where. Best group of guys and gals out there..... :D

I know this could be a real stupid question...but here goes.Do any of the racers and teams ever get together after misfortunes like this one and help each other anymore?

Unfortunately no. Im just old enough to remember those days and been involved in just such an event. But now, either one of the racers is under age so he is protected by laws, badges, and parent. Or you are looked at as a trouble maker for wanting to "discuss" there side of the story. Now it just seems to turn into a fight and someone get banned. I feel bad for the 3 car, as I am aware of how hard they worked on this car to make the race. Borrowing parts on saturday just to make the race and not to even make a lap. The 07 car for wanting to prove that he can be successful without controversy.

To invert or not, well it depends on the drivers themselves. If you are inverted to the front row and are not capable of making a clean start than remove yourself to the rear. Its perfectly acceptable. But if you cant make that decision yourself than its left to chance. And that chance is what some believe that racing is. The chance to see 10 to 20 thousand dollars going into the scrap pile for the amusement of the crowd. I have a hard time believing that. True racers wanna see true racing. Side by side for every lap for every position. It doesnt always happen that way but that should be the goal.

I too took my car home in pieces at the expense of anothers bad judgment. And sure I was VERY upset at that person that night, but the next race is coming and I want to be in it. So its time to work on getting there not wasting alot of air on seeking blame. Its over. Mike (3car) let me know if there is something i can do to help you get yours up and going. 07 team, well im sure I dont own anything that will help but im always here.

Hope to see everybody at the next race, hope everyone can make it, now I have to go find some parts myself.

Cory

When you look at the times they are all close to each other. The car that started on the pole had a time of 16.035. The fast time set Saturday was 15.385. That is barely half a second difference.

Thats like putting Kevin Conway and Max Papis on the front roll for a cup race lmao 1/2 sec. is a lot!!

Thats like putting Kevin Conway and Max Papis on the front roll for a cup race lmao 1/2 sec. is a lot!!

Conway does have an advantage; the nose of his car is longer and wider than the rest................................

In the Late Model main event, disaster struck on the very first lap. Outside pole-sitter, Michael Lampton got sideways on the backstretch and clipped Mark Ackerman's (pole-sitter) racecar. This roadblock left James Cole, Mike Balzer, Brian Moczygemba and Danny Garcia with nowhere to go. Balzer, Moczygemba and Garcia hit the pits for repairs and were able to continue. Lampton had an extended stay in the pits and later returned to complete a few more laps. Cole wasn't that lucky, he slid head-on into the inside retaining wall which put an early end to his night along with Ackerman. The new line-up had Wesley McGuffin and Jesse Salazar pacing the field followed by Jason Smith, Larry Bendele, Garcia and Balzer. When the green flag dropped, McGuffin jumped into the lead. Both Smith and Bendele got by Salazar which moved them into the second and third spots. McGuffin was in the fast lane driving the wheels off of his car and led the pack by a large margin. With 10 laps remaining, second place was being hotly contested between Smith, Bendele and Garcia. These drivers turned in a fan pleasing and action packed performance. However, none of them had anything for McGuffin. He drove an awesome race and captured his first ever NASCAR feature win. Smith, Garcia, Bendele and Salazar filled out the top five spots.

...OH, MY BAD, THAT WAS 2004 AT SAS...HMMM...MAYBE JUST MAYBE THAT'S JUST RACING, YOU TAKE THE GOOD WITH THE BAD. SOMETIMES IT SUCKS LESS THAN OTHERS!!!! SOMETIMES IT' THE HIGH WE ALL SPEND SO MUCH MONEY TRYING TO GET.

CONGRATS TO TAYLOR BRANDES ON HIS FIRST WIN IN THE LATE MODELS.

TONY AND GRETCHEN

I for one like the invert do to the fact of just better racing and a better show for the fans . The problem is any time drivers that start in front of the field that don't have the experience things will eventually happen . Back when the series had twenty cars + or - you could invert ten spots no problem but when there's only ten or so cars i think the risk can out weigh the gain , especially when there's such a big difference in speed , experience , age within the series . I'd have to say for the most part the racing this year in TSRS and other classes has been exciting to watch an well worth the drive .

Auto Racing:

To operate a motor vehicle in such a manner as to overtake another vehicle and\or arrive at a predetermined destination ahead of, or in a measurably shorter amount of time than another vehicle.

With out an invert how does the fastest qualifier meet that definition? Simply by arriving ahead of the competitors? Thats time trials folks. Might as well just qual - give the money to the fastest guy and go hom with our little egos and big cars intact (or is that big egos and little cars).

Racing in its absolute best includes a faster vehicle working to overtake another. Inverts provide just that. The ONLY time I like non inverted is when the length of the race requires pit stops. The problems being noted in this thread arise when impatience, ignorance, inexperience or underhandedness cause damages to others. And as you can not prove the intent or lack thereof - just take what life gives ya and move on, but always ALWAYS learn and remember. I do not think for one second that anyone had the thought process of "if I do this then that car or this car will end up in the wall - HOORAY for me" - it was more like I WANT TO OVERTAKE AND ARRIVE AHEAD OF THAT CAR - OOPS WRONG MOVE. EDITED TO ADD: And forcing or requiring a guy to admit when he's made an OOPS is not very sportsman like - agreed one should be able to do THAT on his own - but it's going the same way as social manners seem to be- and I can't and won't get angry just because someone else has poor manners.

I remember a day when I helped my competition as much as my own car - and what went around came around - the help came back! What happened to that? Made for better racing - racing is NOT one car going fast and 19 trying to catch him - its 20 cars going fast. If I had the fastest car on the track it would be no fun if no one actually was able to RACE against it.

Of course I also remember 85 car counts every Saturday night for 22 weeks - with only 2 seconds across the entire 85.

Auto Racing:

To operate a motor vehicle in such a manner as to overtake another vehicle and\or arrive at a predetermined destination ahead of, or in a measurably shorter amount of time than another vehicle.

With out an invert how does the fastest qualifier meet that definition? Simply by arriving ahead of the competitors? Thats time trials folks. Might as well just qual - give the money to the fastest guy and go hom with our little egos and big cars intact (or is that big egos and little cars).

Racing in its absolute best includes a faster vehicle working to overtake another. Inverts provide just that. The ONLY time I like non inverted is when the length of the race requires pit stops. The problems being noted in this thread arise when impatience, ignorance, inexperience or underhandedness cause damages to others. And as you can not prove the intent or lack thereof - just take what life gives ya and move on, but always ALWAYS learn and remember. I do not think for one second that anyone had the thought process of "if I do this then that car or this car will end up in the wall - HOORAY for me" - it was more like I WANT TO OVERTAKE AND ARRIVE AHEAD OF THAT CAR - OOPS WRONG MOVE. EDITED TO ADD: And forcing or requiring a guy to admit when he's made an OOPS is not very sportsman like - agreed one should be able to do THAT on his own - but it's going the same way as social manners seem to be- and I can't and won't get angry just because someone else has poor manners.

I remember a day when I helped my competition as much as my own car - and what went around came around - the help came back! What happened to that? Made for better racing - racing is NOT one car going fast and 19 trying to catch him - its 20 cars going fast. If I had the fastest car on the track it would be no fun if no one actually was able to RACE against it.

Of course I also remember 85 car counts every Saturday night for 22 weeks - with only 2 seconds across the entire 85.

What a great post!

I guess you have not been there this year. These guys have been doing some great racing this year.

Kathy,

I have been to the races several times this year. My point is, tearing up equipment is the rule rather than the exception in TSRS. It always has been, and probably always will be. Your post said - "These guys showed us all last race that they can race and not wreck. It was just a misfortune this week that this wreck occurred." and you're right. They did show us they can race and not wreak, but that's not the norm......this week they went back to the norm.

JMO. I don't own a TSRS car and wouldn't for this very reason. I don't have deep enough pockets and unfortunately neither do a lot of the guys that are trying to race in TSRS. My evidence - just check the classified section and the # of cars that are just parked.

Archived