belt .

HiTech

last weekend was my sons first race in a bomber and second race ever ...did good .spun some but gave leaders and faster cars room ..and didnt hit anything ..yahoo ..... problem though .is i ran this car last year in two races ..the last race i ran it .. it through the belt .off of the water pump and power stearing pump ..got hot shut her down .. dont run a alt .just yet ...... this weekend did same in feature ....got hot .but son didnt shut her down and pegged the gauge ..car was running but not steaming .. anyway ill check that out friday ................ now i will check ..water pump for play .balancer for wear ... bent or worn out fan ,,,,,,.. everything looked good saterday ... but didnt go into hand detail ....... now question .. i am new to the v8 class .. so does running the stock pulleys have anything to do with throwing the belt .if every other thing checks out ....... havent but will check end or thrust play at the crank aswell ..dont know much aboult this motor .it is a 350 ..

last weekend was my sons first race in a bomber and second race ever ...did good .spun some but gave leaders and faster cars room ..and didnt hit anything ..yahoo ..... problem though .is i ran this car last year in two races ..the last race i ran it .. it through the belt .off of the water pump and power stearing pump ..got hot shut her down .. dont run a alt .just yet ...... this weekend did same in feature ....got hot .but son didnt shut her down and pegged the gauge ..car was running but not steaming .. anyway ill check that out friday ................ now i will check ..water pump for play .balancer for wear ... bent or worn out fan ,,,,,,.. everything looked good saterday ... but didnt go into hand detail ....... now question .. i am new to the v8 class .. so does running the stock pulleys have anything to do with throwing the belt .if every other thing checks out ....... havent but will check end or thrust play at the crank aswell ..dont know much aboult this motor .it is a 350 ..

im not sure which belt set up your using.. you said power steering in the subject.. but then you said it got hot.. slinging the power steering belt doesnt effect the water pump ? anyway ive been down my road of slinging belt after belt and not finishing features.. .. im running stock serpentine pulleys off of a carbuerated 80s model 3/4 ton chevy pickup.. it works exactly like ur v belt set up .. but with serpentine.. no idlers or tensioners or any of that jazz .. this set up has 2 v belt grooves in the crank pulley.. and one v belt groove on the water pump.. what i do is run the extremely old style chevy power steering pump.. ex a 69 chevy camaro.. it has a small pulley on the pump..it is the one that is NOT a press fit.. it has a key and a nut that holds it on and i use the bracket style where it slips over the water pump and has a nut welded to the pump bracket.. and the other one comes off the header bolt.. which i have a piece of plate made for . the only problem with this set up is that the fan will slip due to lack of surface the belt sits on .. so i also roll a belt onto the crank pulley v belt groove that is not running the power steering and onto the v belt groove on the water pump pulley.. taht fits extremely tight.. i cant remember the belt number right off the top of my head .. but this keeps it from slipping.. and even if by chance the alternator belt or the power steering belt do get off.. u still got ur water pump .. you can try that with your system too ? i dont know if your trying to run a belt around the water pump crank and power steering ? if so that will never work.. way too long.. try finding a belt that u can put around the crank and water pump only.. that fits tight to get it on you will probably have to unbolt your fan and take off the water pump pulley.. put the belt on then stretch it up and bolt the fan back on .. chances are the crank and water pump are lined up well enough to turn 8 grand.. ive turned mine 7800 and it hasnt gotten off.. any questions pm me also i see alot of pple run small crank pulleys.. i never could keep mine cool with this set up.. every one tells me the water will flow to fast.. i jus seperate an old thermostat to use as a restrictor im not sure if i mentioned but the power steering pump is still ran as a v belt with this set up .... im sure people will tell you pulleys you can buy from day and what not .. but i imagine if its just and old bomber car your not trying to break the bank as pulleys are expensive! ..

daniel

short reply.....stock pulleys are a crap shoot...if you can run aftermarket..do it...the grooves are deeper and there tolerance is tighter. Also..make sure your running a 3/8 wide belt...they sit in the grooves better. I hate stock pulleys... aftermarket pulleys are much cheaper than an engine...and with a kid running the car..I would not count on them using common sense and pulling off..EVER..lol I know...mine dont. AJ

short reply.....stock pulleys are a crap shoot...if you can run aftermarket..do it...the grooves are deeper and there tolerance is tighter. Also..make sure your running a 3/8 wide belt...they sit in the grooves better. I hate stock pulleys... aftermarket pulleys are much cheaper than an engine...and with a kid running the car..I would not count on them using common sense and pulling off..EVER..lol I know...mine dont. AJ

i dont know if my boy is just that tallented .. or crazy .. but he drove this car for ten laps or so at cc .without power stearing . the stock stearing wheel is 14 inches and worn plum out .....i lasted two laps in this car last year .and was tired when that belt came off ..... i has stock pulleys ..and another thing i didnt mention .. the belt goes around the water pump as well ..thats why it got hot .he lost both items ... as for commen sense and not pulling off .. YOU GET AN A .. but then all rookies including us when we started would not pull off .....i blew up four motors . for not pulling off ..this one maybe burnt .... but have a exstra we can build ....for next week ..... ... i told him yesterday ..now that you have gone foot down .. and had your go anywhere on the track excersize ..its time to slow down and learn to drive ...... i will add a light to the dash .. dont know if he will pay attention to it ..but i will ,and have him black flaged ...lol i know he see.s the flag man .. he heeded the move over flag everytime .........

THANK YOU AND DY 97 .......BTW JUST GOT THAT CAR LAST THURSDAY AND SPENT MOST OF OUR FREE TIME .GETTING HIM FITTED .....

i dont know if my boy is just that tallented .. or crazy .. but he drove this car for ten laps or so at cc .without power stearing . the stock stearing wheel is 14 inches and worn plum out .....i lasted two laps in this car last year .and was tired when that belt came off ..... i has stock pulleys ..and another thing i didnt mention .. the belt goes around the water pump as well ..thats why it got hot .he lost both items ... as for commen sense and not pulling off .. YOU GET AN A .. but then all rookies including us when we started would not pull off .....i blew up four motors . for not pulling off ..this one maybe burnt .... but have a exstra we can build ....for next week ..... ... i told him yesterday ..now that you have gone foot down .. and had your go anywhere on the track excersize ..its time to slow down and learn to drive ...... i will add a light to the dash .. dont know if he will pay attention to it ..but i will ,and have him black flaged ...lol i know he see.s the flag man .. he heeded the move over flag everytime .........

THANK YOU AND DY 97 .......BTW JUST GOT THAT CAR LAST THURSDAY AND SPENT MOST OF OUR FREE TIME .GETTING HIM FITTED .....

if you do have the money then yes aftermarket is the way to go.. if you dont.. run a seperate belt just around your crank and water pump.. this way if u do sling the power steering it wont get hot and run your powering steering around just the crank and power steering.. with 2 short belts you have alot lower chance of slinging them

• 2 weeks later...

Having the belt wrap around both the water pump and power steering can be a good thing especially for a rookie. If it looses the power steering that means you need to pull off because you no longer have your water pump either. Just a back up plan if they forget to look at the temp guage. Just a thought. Thats how I do it.

Having the belt wrap around both the water pump and power steering can be a good thing especially for a rookie. If it looses the power steering that means you need to pull off because you no longer have your water pump either. Just a back up plan if they forget to look at the temp guage. Just a thought. Thats how I do it.

man how we know all aboult that ...forget to look at the temp gauge .... seeing he had neither water pump and power stearing ..and his first night with big eyes .and exsitement.. ..and now it is comeing out .i suppose 400 degrees or so .may have helped in its retirement do you think .....gave her onelast chance to survive another night .. .. cost him a couple of posible wins. so a throw together may make it this weekend .

Archived