Lets consider how to get more Street Stocks!

Per request of Kelly and Jim. While others are working on details for there classes lets hear ideas on how to get more cars that could be eligible to run street stock at SOS. So far Street Stocks have lead the way of all the classes with car counts but we cant simply expect people to just show up and continue having good numbers. Lets try to make sure Street Stock is allows on top showing the way. Per your ideas that may help out for guys to come race at SOS for the remaining of the season and into next season.

My thoughts are to allow cars on 8 inch wheels with G60 racing tires with a weight break of 200 lbs. Meaning their min. weight would be 3200 lbs. This allows Houston Hobby stocks should they choice to come to do so and make zero changes to their cars. Also cars possibly from other areas which alot do run this wheel and tire combo. Personally I think the motors should be very close to our rules at least until the track gets an idea on how those cars stack up against the current cars. Hopefully drivers will come even if its only a few it doesnt matter it gives drivers and option in the event they get rained out. This may open the door at somepoint for our drivers to be given an invitation with little or no changes to run at someone elses track. Any how throw out some ideas if you have em if not at least place a vote on the weight break using G60's.

We haven't been able to bring our car much lately to SOS, so we don't want to speak out of turn. But, will provide input as to how we would feel from the perspective as if we were there each event chasing points... We can also can speak from some first hand experience recently having our car run against a full field of Houston Hobby's last week.

First, I like what Texana did this year with the 3,300# rule for the Houston Hobby's. That wasn't extreme, but it gives the impression to the regular customer base of an equalizer. Was the equalizer needed? Not to me, but it was a good move on the part of their management for customer relations. What this seemed to do was help make it more palatable for the regular customers, and didn't cause for a huge issue for the visitor. For me personally, I would have no issue what so ever with the Houston Hobby's at their standard weight of 3,200#. We showed up to Battleground in July and we ran our 3,400 pounds and put on 8" wheels and street tires. Was that needed? Maybe not, but it helped keep from making their regular customers upset.

Now, when talking about 8" wheels and G60's, you would really need to be somewhat specific about what other rules you are focusing on. We know for our rules between SOS/Texana, STS, and Houston Hobbys, we have some trade offs here and there. But, for me and just speaking for me, there are enough trade offs that we stay pretty equal when comparing those specific classes. My take would be if we are talking about give and take for STS and Houston Hobbys, let them run with no changes or additions, would be fine for me personally. When we start working beyond this, it must be examined more closely. The I-37 Street Stocks have quite a bit of difference on the rules. So, they may look quite a bit different on paper, but when one or two have run with us, we are pretty darn close on the track there as well. When we talk about I-Stocks, now we start venturing out quite a bit. Don't want to rub anyone wrong, but trying to be rational, we start talking about quite a different car. Point is, we need to clarify what we are talking about because a myriad of cars could put 8" wheels and G60's on them and run. Would we throw a fit and leave if we were at the track and some extremely different car was allowed to run? No. We would suck it up and roll on and do the best we coudl that night. But, we are the exception generally and not the norm when it comes to race teams.

This subject must be handled carefully. It is a delicate balance, because at any track the regular customer generally wants everyone to be on the same level playing field. The track desires to place opportunities for visitors, but you wouldn't want to make a large mass of regular customers upset in the process where they might departed.

Now, we can speak from some direct first hand experience on the subject of running right up against the Houston Hobbys, and very recently. Last week our car was driven at Battleground in a field of 18 cars, with the other 17 being Houston Hobby's. We even went to the extreme of putting the 8" wheels and G60's on our car (we didn't run the 10" wheels or Dirt Bozz tires). This was Lauren's car and we haven't even given it all the motor yet. It has a motor that pulls 20" of vacuum. Bubba Seals drove the car, but it still had the same brake problems it had before. So, what happened. Against 17 Houston Hobby's he went out there and won the feature in Lauren's car, on 8" wheels, G60's and a motor that pulls 20" of vacuum. Was it because of the driver? No doubt that was a huge asset to have him in there. But, what I believe it proved is that on any given night our cars are very darn close with all the give and takes. Imagine if we had been on our regular tires and had replaced the camshaft to pull 15" of vacuum. We would have been hell on wheels, most likely. So, lookout next year when the girl gets back out there and we've given her all of the motor and her brakes are working right.... ;)

So, if I put a summary on this one, I would say Houston Hobby's, STS Pures visiting, let 'em run as is. Maybe even I-37 streets, but that might start pushing the envelope... maybe or maybe it's not pushing the envelope... Beyond, that need to look a little closer. What you don't want to do in trying to open a door is don't open it so much that you upset a loyal and dedicated customer base that prepares their cars to the track rules and thus as a result you end up causing a decrease to the class in the process. You do have a good car count in this class with folks who have built cars based on the published rules, so going outside of letting the Houston Hobby's and STS Pures run as is could be possibly cause unintended results.

Historically, the Texas Grand rules have been real specific to allow "Texana legal Bombers". I think, but I'm not certain, the terminology "Texana" was used because at the time Texana was the only track using the rules we have and Texana has been an annual sponsor of the Texas Grand. I am hopeful that will be the case again with the replacement of the word bombers to street stocks. If our cars are allowed as is for the Grand, and since it will be at Battleground, it would be a perfect place to run our cars up against Houston Hobbys with rules as is for them and ours as is to see how we all stack up against each other.

Hope this was written in a logical manner. Made sense as I was writing, just hope it appears logical to other readers.

-Monty

...Hope this was written in a logical manner. Made sense as I was writing, just hope it appears logical to other readers.

-Monty

It made sense and very well put. I have to agree with most everything you have stated. I believe you do have to throw some weight on the Houston Hobby and STS Pures. The I-37 streets are a different animal and it would be pushing the envelope too far. I am not saying the I-37 streets could not come run with us we would just need to come up with an equalizer for them. The reality is that no out of towner is going to come every race but you do want to try and allow as many as possiable to come and race on Special Events or rain outs, etc. In all honesty I agree with you on letting the Houston Hobby and STS Pures come in as is. By then end of the night everyone would know where these three rules packages stood. You would have a better understanding of what to adjust and where. By looking at the rules and seeing these cars first hand I don't think anything needs to be done but some weight adjustments. Not 200lbs. of weight adjustment but some weight adjustments would need to be made according to the written rules. Written rules are one thing but performance is another.

I don't mean this in a bad way but you and I both know "Bubba" Seals could take a Yard-Kart and put it up front. That guy is just crazy fast and very very talented with a race car. I myself would like to see the Houston Hobby and STS Pures come in as is and race staright up with our Street Stock so we all would have a better understanding of where we stand. I believe these three are more equal than some think.

Per request of Kelly and Jim. While others are working on details for there classes lets hear ideas on how to get more cars that could be eligible to run street stock at SOS. So far Street Stocks have lead the way of all the classes with car counts but we cant simply expect people to just show up and continue having good numbers. Lets try to make sure Street Stock is allows on top showing the way. Per your ideas that may help out for guys to come race at SOS for the remaining of the season and into next season.

My thoughts are to allow cars on 8 inch wheels with G60 racing tires with a weight break of 200 lbs. Meaning their min. weight would be 3200 lbs. This allows Houston Hobby stocks should they choice to come to do so and make zero changes to their cars. Also cars possibly from other areas which alot do run this wheel and tire combo. Personally I think the motors should be very close to our rules at least until the track gets an idea on how those cars stack up against the current cars. Hopefully drivers will come even if its only a few it doesnt matter it gives drivers and option in the event they get rained out. This may open the door at somepoint for our drivers to be given an invitation with little or no changes to run at someone elses track. Any how throw out some ideas if you have em if not at least place a vote on the weight break using G60's.

I think you are on the right path but I believe 200lbs. is too much. Maybe 100lbs., but then again I would like to see the Houston Hobby and STS Pures come in with no changes and run heads up with our Street Stock and see whats what. Thanks for all the ideas, this is what we are looking for. Keep them coming...

We'll get a pretty good straight up, one for one, test this weekend. That's our plan anyway. Randy talked to Mike Walling and since we are moving to the conclusion on the final set up adjustments for the car, Randy will race for no money and no points over there this weekend in our car, but will be on our dirt bozz tires and our wheels and our 3,400#. Basically complete set up for exactly how we run at our tracks. This will be a chance for us to see straight, up one for one, how our cars stack up against each other. Mike is real interested in this also, and he as any track operator is taking into consideration his loyal customer base when it comes to a visiting car. I have total respect for him and all tracks that try to look for opportunities and do recognize the valuable contributions of their dedicated regular customer base. As a car owner I appreciate you guys, Ken, and all of the tracks that are giving this topic some consideration, even though we may not have identical rules, at least the consideration for a visitor. We truly appreciate that from all of y'all.

And, you're completely right about Bubba. I laughed when Jonathan announced something to the effect of "well folks, I'm convinced Bubba Seals could figure out how to make a moped run in the front"... That was funny. But, i have been saying for several years now that he, is in our opinion, the best fender car driver in the state. I can't imagine what he might be able to accomplish if he had been picked up by a deep pocketed sponsor... Not deep pocketed at our place, but quite frankly, very humbled and deeply appreciative of how he has come to our aid and taken an interest in Lauren's racing and what he has done for us with the car. I'm sure he is pleased with being able to get the car right, but a side product he may never have realized he was doing is that he has giving back confidence and hope to a 16 year old girl that was pedaling backwards as of late. We are so appreciative to him and everyone who has helped us along the way.

Seeing you guys focusing on positive ways on how we might all be able to work together and the help we've been given from Bubba and many others is the kind of stuff that is recharging my batteries right now and bring all of this full circle for me. I'm back to loving this as much as the first days when I started in 2005.

thx - Monty

isnt wade jones the 41 camaro an I37 street stock? you say they are a different animal.. but i have seen him run last year at goliad and this year at edna.. though it looked like he was on G60s both times.. he didnt win either event.. infact i think he ran around 5th or so last year at goliad.. i know his motor sounds damn healthy.. but ive seen it.. so whats the big deal ?

Big deal is if he is taking full advantage of his i37 motor rules then he can easily make 50 hrp or more. Lets say he isnt using the rules all out dont know if he is or isnt. If you allow i37 street stock rules with no changes then maybe not Wade but someone else could easily take full advantage of their engine rules and come dominate. And whose to say that might not be Wade if he got a different full out motor. Also STS pure stocks are at a disadvatage motor and chassis wise so you would never want to make them add any weight just come race and you may even consider giving them a weight break! Other wise you will never see any STS Pure Stocks come race.

When they say different animal in means they can run the following...

3 link rear suspension

weight jacks

externally mounted shocks

performer intake manifold or marine intake

roller rockers

62 cc heads

2 valve relief pistons

max .540 lift cam

Now this doesn mean those guys are running all this stuff no but its legal for them to do so. Also I Stocks I believe are allowed on a 390 cfm carb. We had a motor built to these rules 2 years ago to run at i37. When we go to SOS we have to run Super Stock because of the differences.

I think you are on the right path but I believe 200lbs. is too much. Maybe 100lbs., but then again I would like to see the Houston Hobby and STS Pures come in with no changes and run heads up with our Street Stock and see whats what. Thanks for all the ideas, this is what we are looking for. Keep them coming...

Keep in mind if you tell them to weight 3300 making them add 100 lbs most of them already weight 3300 even though their rules state 3200. So they really are not making any changes. Just food for thought. But if everyone wants to race heads up with their track rules and give it a try then lets do it and see how it shakes out. We are all for getting this race together with all the cars so we can get the same treatment when we go to their home tracks for big races.

Big deal is if he is taking full advantage of his i37 motor rules then he can easily make 50 hrp or more. Lets say he isnt using the rules all out dont know if he is or isnt. If you allow i37 street stock rules with no changes then maybe not Wade but someone else could easily take full advantage of their engine rules and come dominate. And whose to say that might not be Wade if he got a different full out motor. Also STS pure stocks are at a disadvatage motor and chassis wise so you would never want to make them add any weight just come race and you may even consider giving them a weight break! Other wise you will never see any STS Pure Stocks come race.

3 link rear suspension

weight jacks

roller rockers

62 cc heads

2 valve relief pistons

max .540 lift cam

Now this doesn mean those guys are running all this stuff no but its legal for them to do so. Also I Stocks I believe are allowed on a 390 cfm carb. We had a motor built to these rules 2 years ago to run at i37. When we go to SOS we have to run Super Stock because of the differences.

Yeah what he said... :lol: An I stock is not allowed in this class for obvious reasons. As I stated, on paper I37 Street Stock is more car than the others. Once again, on paper. I still say for one time and one time only, just to see how everyone shakes out let's have a race where Houston Hobby, STS Pure Stocks and SOS Street Stocks get it on based off of their respective rules. I still say these three classes are closer than some think...

Yeah what he said... :lol: An I stock is not allowed in this class for obvious reasons. As I stated, on paper I37 Street Stock is more car than the others. Once again, on paper. I still say for one time and one time only, just to see how everyone shakes out let's have a race where Houston Hobby, STS Pure Stocks and SOS Street Stocks get it on based off of their respective rules. I still say these three classes are closer than some think...

Last years Halloween Havoc was exactly this. 4 Top dogs from Houston, 2 Top dogs from STS and of course the Edna, SOS and even some I37 street stocks. We had more then enough cars to have to run a B Main. Edna car won, with Houston taking 2nd. It was very competitive once the track dried up some. Prior to that the 8 inch wheel cars struggled keeping up with 10" wheel cars. But the race itself was pretty darn good.

last year we took aPURESTOCK with those 8" tires and we had a top 10.this year we are gonna try to bring a STREETSTOCK down there if everything goes right.we kept the suspension stock so we can stay with the rules,put the purestock motor in it for now so we be good on everything...jus wanna come have fun ...

last year we took aPURESTOCK with those 8" tires and we had a top 10.this year we are gonna try to bring a STREETSTOCK down there if everything goes right.we kept the suspension stock so we can stay with the rules,put the purestock motor in it for now so we be good on everything...jus wanna come have fun ...

that's great, hopefully we can get a few more outta-town drivers with your attitude. we will never be able to get the rules down if guys like you aren't willing to come down and give it a shot.

Sweet bring some friends with you

Sweet bring some friends with you

hey stephan can i drive your car

3 link rear suspension

weight jacks

roller rockers

62 cc heads

2 valve relief pistons

max .540 lift cam

There is not a ss @ I-37 that runs a three link. yes we can but no one does.

And for NOW Jones is the fastest we have got or at least the best handling car.

Now this doesn mean those guys are running all this stuff no but its legal for them to do so.

There is not a ss @ I-37 that runs a three link. yes we can but no one does.

And for NOW Jones is the fastest we have got or at least the best handling car.

Isnt that what i said above?

Isnt that what i said above?

Yes, yes it is but he was just letting you know that no one is, as you and I put it "taking advantage" of those rules...Tell you what, why dont we just take the Street Stocks back to a G-60 only and then everything in life can be good again...Okay everyone settle down, I was just kidding :lol:. I wanted to get this topic back on track because I think it is more important than some think...More and more tracks are running two and three fender classes and they are providing the highest car counts and in some situations the best races...

Archived