THR

hobby74

do you think the scales are not reading right  

22 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the scales are not reading right

• are the scales reading correctly?
    • are the scales not reading correctly?

I was DQ'D at THR last night for 7lbs on the light side. This is after I weight the week before 68lbs over. I totalled the car and had the car in the shop all week with even more weight added to it. I added 32lbs worth of wheel weight, added a front loop that was never there, added a huge heavy bumper from the aluminum bumper that was broke. I would think I added about 75lbs worth of metal from the car but was still light. We tested the scales with a weight and all scale and one would not read correctly it was about 1 pound shy on a 22lbs piece of lead. If I am wrong I will take it that I am wrong. The track says they are going to send it off and have them checked this week but I think that is crap since they locked them up in the tire room and nobody took them or not that I have seen.

Jay,

I'll share my experience with you from this Saturday just for your information and whoever else is interested.

According to the scales, our car was 30 pounds lighter on 5/22/04 than it was on 05/15/04 with the same fuel load and ballast in the car. The car should actually have been a few pounds heavier due to the new exhaust.

Knowing how much fuel weight would burn off during the feature, I added additional fuel to compensate for the difference, but I was wondering about the discrepancy myself. I asked James Reeder if he noticed this also, and he said that his car showed to be lighter this week than last also. I think he said he added ballast and fuel to compensate.

I keep ALOT of records each week about our car, laps times, weights, etc. so I noticed the difference immediately. As long as the scales stay the same as they were this weekend, everyone should be able to compensate, but I still wonder what changed.

cs

I am sorry to hear that that happened to you.

We weigh our car at the track every week to make sure that we meet the rules according to their scales.

Every week the scales seem to change , but that is what the track goes by , and that is what we have to use top make minimum weight, so that is why we check it every week at the track.

Their scales have never matched our scales.

At our shop our scales showed our car was 30 lbs heavier than the scales at the track, but we make that adjustment at the track , so we are leagle by the tracks scales.

You should always check your car at the track because that scale is what matters.

I do not mean to sound harsh, but you should always check you car on the tracks scale when you get to the track , and check it after every weight change you make.

If you scaled your car at the track and you make no changes , and the same day you weigh it again , and the weights are way off then I would think you would have a case.

Once again I know it hurts to be DQed like that , but I am sure you will Scale your car at the track every week from now on.

Good luck next week.

Victory Lane

Ditto..

The track scales may not be accurate but they are the standard by which everyone will be judged on that particular night. We always check before the race on the scales that will be used that night and adjust as needed. We try hard to make sure we are no more than 5 lbs over minimum so any error in the track scales could be huge for us.

I know it's frustrating to get DQ'd but I agree with everyone else. If you didn't weigh your car at the track before you raced then it's hard to document inaccuracy. We keep more than 100lbs. of lead in our trailer for that very reason. I would also recommend that should it happen to you again record the corner weights in front of the tech inspector and then ask to scale your car from the opposite direction. If the corner weights don't match up then you have a legit beef. jp

The THR the scales were available to all teams hours before any racing ever began. Many teams availed themselves of the opportunity to weight their cars before they ever hit the track. Some didn't.

The teams that do frequently use the track scales find that the scales that they use to weigh their cars at the shop (or wherever) are a few pounds off from the scales that are used at the track. This was true last year and this is true this year and will be true next year. This is true at any track from coast to coast.

On a related note, as many of you know, I have been weighing cars for nearly 30 years (the first was done with a torque wrench and a wheel pivot - how many of you go back that far???) Over the years I have probably used 3 or 4 sets of grain scales and 10 or 12 sets of electronic scales. Not a single one ever matched the scales used at any track we have ever raced at. And that includes electronic scales of the same manufacturer.

The two teams that were disqualified at THR this past Saturday brought it to my attention after the race that the scales were in error. That certainly is a possibility, but whether they were in error or not, the scales were the standard for that night. This is just plain how it is. It should be noted that the rest of the cars weighed in all classes met the weight requirements last Saturday. And just for the record, Jay, I did not say I would send them off. I said I would get them certified this week.

Nick Holt

No I think Tod was going by the TSRS rules thinking he has to weigh before the race not after. But like all the other people have already said, you should weigh your car before the races when the scales are available just to check to see if there is any difference in weight from the week before. It sucks not knowing the scales will be the same from the previous weeks, but I guess it will make you weigh your car more often.

LIKE JP17 SAID-CHECK THE CORNER WEIGHT THEN COME BACK FROM THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION...AS MANY PROBLEMS AS WE'VE HAD WITH THESE SCALES/AND THE PRIOR SET WE SHOULD HAVE SOMEONE DO THAT EVERY WEEK AS SOON AS THE SCALES ARE SAT OUT...BUT IF YOU WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE FEATURE TO WEIGH-EVEN IF THE SCALES ARE 200# OF THAT'S YOUR FAULT(SORRY)....

Nick is right. Our shop scales are calibrated by the factory every year and we have a spot in the shop we know is level, then each scale is leveled to each other. We feel like they are as accurate as you can get, but they NEVER matched the track scales (or the TAMS scales). We always ran the car over the track scales as soon as we got to the track just in case some changes had to be made. I have seen the car weigh over 60 lbs more and 45 lbs less at the track. It's great when it weighs more!!

Now if the calibration is changing on the track scales from the day reading to the after race reading, that's another story. The track needs to spend a little more time leveling (probably the most common cause of inaccuracy).

Jay sorry to hear about the weight of your car,but we have found that every track

that we race at the scales are different and you have to adjust and move weight to

the track scales.

I think what it was is your car was so much faster that you burned an extra gallon of gas.lol

chuckman that is a good one. Well it was much faster since I have not finished a race this season up until this win. So anything is faster than what I was...lol That is ok I just wanted to hear what everybody else thought before I loaded the car back up this weekend. I am looking for someone that can help me this week just get the car to the scale first thing. I am not a crew of 2 or more I come to the races with just myself and my 2 hands and 2 feet and let me tell you it is getting old but everybody wants you to pay for them to get in and drinks and food and all that so I dont think so. Heck I cant even get myself a drink or get me one of those tasty BBQ sandwiches that they have...lol

Jay

Jay, Dad and I will help you with the scales. Hell, we need to get our car up to par too. I am going to leave my car just the way it is and weigh it right when we get there. I want to see if they read different. If they do then we will know if the scales are messed up. See you at the races Jay.

Matthew Hodge

Hey matt I really do thank you and your dad for the help I will take you up on that offer. I am going to do the same when I get to the track not add one drop to the car and see what the weight is. Then go from there.

hey call a brother do you still have my number?

Ok... I know we are prob working a dead horse here but i have 2 cents.. and would like to share it.. Strickly about #'s.. Jay you said 7 lbs left side.. was your %'s off or Total Car weight?

When i got up Sat Morning I my weight was 301 according to my bathroom scale.... *(Nick can attest i got my exercise Saturday) and when i got on the dang thing Sunday morning it was 292(little more water next week i guess)... Now i know my scale is tempermental on how i stand on it.. but.. The human weight will never be the same.. nor will you stand on it the same way..

Driver sits on the Left side of a car Unless of course your in them strange country's... Bottom line.. Human weight and where the tires are on the scale can change the %'s and Jay.. Your working your "A$$" Off all week (was greatly appreciated!!!) to get out to the track saturday night may account for 7 lbs... (I know not the total 68 you say changed.. with all your changes to the car..)

Sorry I live and breath #'s and there are just way to many changes (Variables) to say that even if the scales require no changes.. you still may not weight the same... Maybe if the Planets Align in perfect order.. but you will only be close. :D:(:unsure:

i think the thing all shood go by is get your car weight 10 lb. over the min weight with out anybody in it for the track you run at and you should not have to worry about the weight of the car or your weight . this is just my two cents.

louis

lbeaver6-sorry but 10# over min. with no one in the car?if i weigh 160#,10#over min. puts me at 170#over while i'm racing-figure 50 laps you might loose at the most 70#????i can't afford the kind of horsepower your throwing out the window for a 100#safeguard....best thing about this whole situation-i bet nobody gets dq'd on weight this week....worst part is i'd hate to be in line for the scales on saturday..

Archived