water pump

David Wright

jim ..david calls me at work way down here in corpus ...bugs me like heck lol ... his problem is more like ...fan problems ..he has a 18 inch plastic 6 blade fan ..with a three inch extention or spacer .. he has turned 54OO rpms for a couple of years now ..this new motor now turns in the upper 6000.s .. either he needs to shorten that spacer by half or take it off completly .or run a 14 to 15 inch fan .5 blade ... he has a larger pulley on it .. .and went to a new water pump instead of a rebuild ..its a toyota .so that may explain alittle there .lol ........ with wieght of that spacer .and the volume of air he is pulling with that large fan blade .maybe just to much at those rpm.s

That sounds correct - mass (weight) X momentum (RPMs) is a real killer formula! Additionally that much fan is really unneeded - above 45mph the fan tends to slow the air down so the object becomes to have as little fan as posible (one can always hold a fast idle if there is not enough airflow at lower fwd speeds - but ya can't do anything for the lost airflow at high RPM)! I am not sure what is avaiable for reduction pulleys on the Toyotas (one would wonder why people race "Toy"otas - wouldn't a "real"ota be better?) - but I like to reduce wp speed by about 20% minimum - good rule of thumb is to reduce speed an equal amount of speed increase - if you are increasing engine RPMs from 4800 to 5800 (20% increase, 5800-4800=1000, 1000/4800=.208) - you would reduce the WP speed by 20% (big pully dia - little pulley diametr = diff, diff divided by little pulley dia equals speed decrease %). However remember as you increase the pully size to decrease the speed you are increasing the amount of torque applied to the pulley (just like using a longer wrench) - hence the press fit failure issue if you have not reduced weight or work load (dia and # of blades creates workload) equitably.

Not sure what drive belt system is on it - but with a serp type if you increase a pulley size you are also increasing the lateral load to all of the shafts (belt is tighter with same tensioner load) - so be aware there as well - I have seen some guys force the serp on with the tensioner pinned back tight and this is just too much load on all the bearings on the front! The tensioner MUST run between its "happy marks" on its belt wear indicators.

Yes, happened to me on a 2.0 ford motor. In my case the shaft walked back until the impeller hit the cylinder housing.

biggest problem with that 2.0 . if you had a stock crank pulley. it was to thin for high rpm.s .. it would flex like hell .and shake a water pump to pieces......if the belt didnt come off first ......................... DAVID OH DAVID ..YOU HAVE YOUR ANSWERS HERE ....NOW GET ON HERE AND READ ....YOU OLD GOAT ..

DOES HE KNOW HOW TO READ. :lol: I HAVE TRYED TO MAKE HIM CHANGE HIS GEAR FOR YEARS, HE FINALLY CHANGED IT. I MAY HAVE TO SHOW HIM HOW TO DRIVE KNOW. ;)

ive seen davids driveing ..you cant help that man ..just pray ........

hey oldman , water pump problem solved ! changed the pulley on the water pump and everything ran good last night ,won the heat and feature !

Archived