A driver quits

ChuckLicata

First, I want to qualify something: I'm speaking only for myself here, not as the Marketing Director/Announcer of THR or as the host of The Motorsports Zone...

I received an email from John Lasker yesterday, telling me he was giving up racing at THR. Needless to say, I was a bit unnerved by his email and his "resignation."

You know, it's a sad day for me when a racer decides to quit racing at ANY race track, period...it's even worse when that racer and his wife had been very helpful in getting things going. John had brought his car out to THR last week for the photo shoot that took place...His wife, Lisa, was on the THR Drivers Phone Commmittee that I established and she was a huge help in that area. Also, John and Lisa told me last Friday that they wanted to contact McNeil and other RRISD high schools to try and get some THR drivers appearances up north of Austin. They were going to do this on their own time, and they were confident they could lock up one or two appearances before school let out.

Now, that's all gone. Lisa sent me her resignation from the Phone Committee on Monday, and John sent me his email on Tuesday.

I'll be the first to sing the praises of this web site. It's helped the radio show (I think of it as OUR radio show, not just MY radio show), it's helped us keep up to date with the lcoal drivers driving at different venues (I've posted race updates and results from TMS, Rebel has done the same at TMS and from other venues, and many others have done the same) and we've all been thankful for the weather updates posted here every Race Day...

This has also been a place for some disgruntled folks to express their frustrations. As Nick and Jason will tell you, this web site is for EVERYONE to express ANY opinion they have on any racing-related item (as long as you understand that Nick will moderate and edit your comments as he sees fit). And that's the way it should be. But folks, do you think maybe we could start focusing on the POSITIVE of racing, instead of the negative? This is just a request that comes from me, personally...

And before you ask...No, I'm NOT blaming TSZ for John retiring from THR..And, I would be making this post, no matter WHICH DRIVER (or drivers) decided to resign..I think of ALL THR drivers as "my drivers" and I hope that shows in my work..It's just a personal plea, asking that folks to use a little understanding before they post something (and react to something) on this site..

Thanks, I appreciate everyone who is involved in racing...

Chuck L.

Chuck: I too am sad to hear of the resignations. It seems people on

Texas Speedzone are unusually hard on THR. I myself have never had a problem. I follow ROMCO though. Maybe some of the critics would not be so critical if they had to do more than post on this website. Thanks for your comments, I know I appreciate the support.

Why quit over what somebody says on a website? I mean I saw the race and yea what he did was wrong but move on its over now half the people who criticized you you dont even know so why let it get under your skin?

Whenever there is a controversy of any sort here on Texas Speed Zone, people with strong vested interests or a particular perspective will articulate their point of view rather forcefully. Others, with a more moderate stance on the issue, will attempt to be peacemakers or take a more rational approach. Still others will chime in and question why the issue is even being discussed. This is to be expected in an open forum setting.

As Moderator, I attempt to let each side have its say as long as the personal bashing is kept to an absolute minimum. Many of you may have noticed that I did remove and/or edit several posts in the thread Chuck is referring to. However, whenever the issue being discussed is an individual, such as a driver, or a particular racing incident, it is very difficult to separate the bashing from a legitimate discussion of the actual issue.

That being said, I agree with Chuck in that everyone posting here should all be considerate, civil and polite when discussing topics - even those involving individuals - here on Texas Speed Zone.

Nick Holt

Chuck

I am sad to see John quit also from the emails and posts that I received from him he seemed like someone that was up to the challenge of driving while on probation.

Could John have made it though the probation without another incident?

This is a question only John knows,and without him racing at THR we won't know.

With that said let me ask you a question Chuck

Does a drivers actions off the track excuse what the driver does on the track?

When a driver has used his car multiple times in the past to retaliate for something

that happened on the track,does a few apperances take care of one or maybe two

incidents?

Yes everyone has been upset at one time or another and maybe said something

that they regret,yes believe it or not even me,but it does not excuse using your

car to retaliate for something that happed on or off the track.

If the track does nothing and nobody voices their opinions then what happens the

next time someone loses their cool and another driver is seriously injured.

I am not bashing John just stating what I've seen in the past,I was hoping maybe

this incident would help him keep control of his emotions,which he said in several

posts that he has a problem doing,and help him become a better person on the track.

I accept full responsibility for what i do on and off the track and hope more of the drivers out there would do the same.

My husband has been involved in many "heat of the moment" incidents and has never choosen to quit due to his love for racing. I am sad to hear John will no longer be racing at Thunder Hill. I always yell and scream in the stands and make an a$$ of myself, but I would never quit supporting my local race track. Everybody has a temper and some show it more than others. Yes you will make enemies, but you just turn the other cheek and go on about your business. I have plenty of enemies, but I have a lot of friends too. The way I look at life is you only live once so make the best of it. Not everybody is going to agree with your actions but that is the way it goes. Agree or disagree I do not care because I will be who I am and nobody will change me. Like it or leave it.

This is my 2 cents.

Crystal

It's a shame to see anyone quit because of internet chatter. Sometimes things get blown completely out of proportion. As I've said before this forum is pretty tame compared to others I visit/use and I was suprised to see that post go that far. But hey I'm not in charge.

I totally agree, Chuck, that there is too much negativity in racing nowdays compared to the past. Hell I get even get questioned about results posts because they aren't complete. Com'on people get a freaking grip! This is racing, not life or death, and is supposed to fun. I'll be the first to admit, that at times, I can be as guilty as anyone. But in the past years I've tried to tone down my stuff.

I'm a firm believer that if EVERYONE put as much time and effort as they do into being positive for racing instead of negative, ALL tracks would all be alive and well. This is one thing that both dirt and paved tracks unfortunately have in common.

Maybe this is all a "trickle down" effect from NA$CAR! Look at all the crap that goes on with the one series that should be setting the STANDARD, instead of dropping the ball! JMHO and not that of Rat Traxx Racing Paper!

john dont worry what people say that last week start new with a new week for racing if you enjoy racing stay in racing let some think that do what your heart want to do

I agree with Rebel about the "tameness" of this board. Nick and Jason keep this site in friendly working order compared to a certain Florida board I read. Even though I don't know any of you personally I still enjoy reading the posts here and the atmosphere is generally safe to post your opinion without being bashed with rude comments or name calling in retaliation.

I didn't read the post being referred to but don't let a post on any message board stop you from doing what you love.

Dude come on. Your quitting because of a few people bashing you. I dont know about you but that would make me wanna go out there and kick some butt this weekend in the race just to prove them wrong. Who cares what people say about you.

dude, all i can say is if you quit, they win. sure we all make mistakes (if i could only begin to tell you) but its what you do in the face of adversity that makes you who you are. some people give up (dosent sound like any racer ive ever known) and some people move foreward and get better and stronger. i guess what im trying to say is let the one who has not made a mistake throw the first stone. move on, learn how to deal with your anger or whatever the case is, just dont give up.

big john

I will say this. This website has changed over the last 6 months. If you are going to post on here and read along, you better have some THICK skin.

It's all about peoples opinions, i don't know the people involved and only heard about the incident on TSZ. This website is helpfull to asphalt racing in Texas and I'm glad that it is here for people to talk racing, good and bad. SUCK it UP or LAY UP.

I will say this. This website has changed over the last 6 months. If you are going to post on here and read along, you better have some THICK skin.

Yes, racerx, TSZ has changed over the past 6 months. We have become much busier and many of the threads now involve individuals and personalities and on-track events as opposed to racing philosophies and trying to come up with solutions to the problems that stock car racing faces in Texas.

I am sorry if you are disappointed in the job I am trying to do here. It is not easy walking the line between allowing open and free discussions and keeping the site polite and civil. Just about every thread someone writes me about what a jerk I am or how prejudiced I am or how stupid or whatever. It gets old after a while. Meanwhile, I just keep on truckin.

From my point of view, TSZ is almost a full-time job now. When I take a look at the books for my business I KNOW how much time it has taken away from what I really should be doing. The big difference is that my business actually helps, or should I say used to help, feed the kids, while all TSZ does is help satisfy my desire to help racing in Texas. I know that we all make sacrifices to help racing and I'm not trying to start a pity party - just stating the way it is.

So, keep growing that THICK skin, racerx. I know mine is getting thicker every day.

Nick Holt

Nick,

I'm sorry if you took that the wrong way. I think TSZ has improved over the last 6 months. It is a lot more enjoyable now, keep up the good work. My point is to all those out there that can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. You better believe if you have caused any problems at THR, SAS or CCMS, it will be posted on here and all the different opinions will be shared (good and bad).

So Nick and Jason keep up the good work and everyone else who has an opinion continue to post, it's fun and we are improving asphalt racing in TEXAS.

My wife asks that same question every day John.. LOL

I guess I do it because I've seen what most racing forums are like (remember the old sa360 board?) and I didn't want TSZ to become a bash board like most of the rest. Central/South Texas stock car racing is just now starting on an upswing and, hopefully, TSZ will continue to play a role in that resurgence.

Now if we can just get the weather to cooperate.

Nick Holt

john the racer in question, if everyone in racing that had done something they shouldent quit there would be no racing in texas or anywhere else.All anyone wants or need is for the drivers on the track to realize that racing is a very emotional sport and you have to remove that emotion while your behind the wheel. If I said i never lost my cool behind the wheel of a race car I would be lieing.look at Tony Stewart he is a prime example of a hot tempered driver but hes dealing with it and still racing.If you want to quit thats your choice but do it for the right reasons and not because someone gets mad at you. heck in a couple of weeks they will probally be mad at someone else just remember drive like you what the others want to drive you. Im sure ill get some replys but what I mean that so long as you relize there is a problem then your a step closer to correcting it. Good luck no matter what your decision is just try to make sure its the right one for you

Archived