Who Am I?

texana55

This driver ran five nights in his/her first season. Scored a 2nd the first night and won the next four features he/she ran that year. Next season he/she ran a full season and won 11 features. This driver is still active in dirt track racing. Who was this then young driver?

This driver ran five nights in his/her first season. Scored a 2nd the first night and won the next four features he/she ran that year. Next season he/she ran a full season and won 11 features. This driver is still active in dirt track racing. Who was this then young driver?

he/she?

charlie M?

what year did this then young driver run their first season? more details Monty!!! I am thirsty!!!!

Limited info on this one was with intent. I was afraid I would give it away too soon. I thought this one was pretty impressive that he or she came in second on first night out and then won four features after that. Then in his or her sophomore year scored the 11 features.

I can't give too much info too soon or it will just flat give it away....

Clue #1 - This driver won all of those features in a "not so traditional car". You wouldn't expect the car that he or she was competing with to have ran so good and to have pulled away so far from the other competitors. Even more impressive about the car is to know the origins of the race car. And, somewhat equally impressive is that the car (not with the same driver) is competing this year on dirt.

was it mathew konvicka in his mini stock (mighty whitey???)

You got it Chase...

I may have some of the following facts wrong on this, and maybe Matthew can correct me if I'm wrong. But, as best I can recall he debuted in 2003 with the mighty whitey Mazda 323 front wheel drive. In his sophomore season in 2004, he was basically unbeatable winning 11 features that season. The "not so traditional" part was that it was a front wheel driver car on dirt. Plus, if I recall correctly, he purchased the car as a street car for like $200 dollars or so and it had like 250,000 miles on it. He got the car ready and to this day, I don't think the motor has ever been opened up. I remember him running that car back in 2004, and that car just seemed to pull and pull away from everyone. What is also interesting to me is that the car was sold after his 2004 season and sat until last year when they got it back, fired it up and baby sister started driving it. It is still really fast.

Matthew was likely a trend setter back then and didn't know it, as the Texas Twisters in Killeen (a front wheel drive class) and the Front-Runners at I-37 (another front wheel drive class) have really taken off in popularity.

well monty you were close the car had over 305,000 thousand miles on it and to this day all that has been done is new spark plugs and oil thats it never even had the valve cover off. it has been a good car who would have known that front wheel drive cars would be so big.

I have to say...that car is amazing (that it runs...lol).....but..it is fast...lol We went to usa raceway in AZ a few weeks ago...they ran 2 classes of mini stocks front and rear wheel drive...on a small track in the infield..no banking...and super wet... those were the best two races I have seen all year...had almost 20 cars in each class...I really think tracks around here need to take notice...fwd may rut up the track...but there here to stay. I loved the small wet track idea....cars put on a great show...but went so slow that they didnt tear up much on the cars...(or the track..lol) The FWD cars actually put on a better show...

Archived