repairing copper radiator

dancer52

copper?...or is it brass....whatever...its not aluminum...lol I have a leak around the hose inlet...can you just re-solder this....with silver solder? braze it?

No I can't. I've tried. But there are some folks who can. The problem (assuming you mean the solder joint where the hose inlet is soldered to the tank is leaking) is that while fixing the bib to tank joint the heat will transfer to the tank - the hose bib won't be leaking anymore - but the tank to core joint just got trashed! The proper way is to remove the tank, resolder the bib then resolder the tank to the core.

Best left to those who work on radiators all day IMO.

copper?...or is it brass....whatever...its not aluminum...lol I have a leak around the hose inlet...can you just re-solder this....with silver solder? braze it?

No I can't. I've tried. But there are some folks who can. The problem (assuming you mean the solder joint where the hose inlet is soldered to the tank is leaking) is that while fixing the bib to tank joint the heat will transfer to the tank - the hose bib won't be leaking anymore - but the tank to core joint just got trashed! The proper way is to remove the tank, resolder the bib then resolder the tank to the core.

Best left to those who work on radiators all day IMO.

AJ you might call Rusty at Texas Industrial Radiator here in SA Im sure if it can be done he can tell you yes or no or fix it for you for a fair price... (210) 666-5500

Archived