ROMCO as of Now

SASPEEDRACER24

Since there has been a lot of talk about TC and tires I am curious what everyone thinks about ROMCO so far compared to last year. Unfortunately I won't get to see them this year other than at SAS. Has there been more of an influx of talent and cars or is it just the same series with a few new perks. Lets hear it!

I belive that the series took a step into the right direction with the tire situation, though they may not work out for some poeple right off the bat. But the traction control thing is ridiculous. It takes the driving out of the sport and I believe that Romco officials took the easy out. Other than that there is some new talent. Robert Richardson ran as high as 7th in Houston for his first Late Model Race, I believe that Robert has a lot of talent and will be very sucessful as long as he stays with the right poeple until he gets on his feet. Another one is Bradley Riethmeyer, Other that running the Big Shot last year, Houston was also Bradleys first Late Model Race , Bradley was on a move in Houston until he was forced to come into the pits due to some left fromt body damage. But he worked his way back up to the front to finish 7th in his first Romco race.

I'm not sure that the TC issue is what will keep ROMCO from being a great series. The ROMCO purses pay more than most series, at least to win, but it does not get a great deal of respect. I think with Chris Davidson almost winning snowball that did some good to help the series. The race at TMS was and is a big deal for a Late models series to compete on a superspeedway. but I don't know what it will take to get ROMCO on a level of a Southern All Stars.

There are some new faces #33 Richardson and #17 Huckaby, and some teams getting on there feet #32 of Stewart and Crawford # 51. Romco wants a road course race maybe the could work a deal out with TMS to have one during sept truck race. The tire deal will sort itself out. Anytime a sponsor puts money into a series even if it is to use it products it helps the series. If everyone is one the same tire the fact that they get greasy wont matter it will be a problem for everyone. That's the fun of racing- being better than the other guy as long as you dont cheat.

Romco could do more at the races for the fans. I mean Mullins wants the best for his clients from ROMCO I mean he doesn't put his company's name on the series to sell T-shirts. However I think that average race fans needs more. Shirts and hats are cool but a series sponsored program would help the series and the drivers attract new fans. I think that the web site could be a bit more fan freindly.

Anyways I don't want to sound negative for the ROMCO series. It will have some up and down periods but it is a great series with great talent and I enjoy every race that I go to.

As bad as it sounds I would like to see it more like the Southern-Allstars page. I know that the ROMCO site has a drivers link page but it could help if on the drivers page the had all the drivers profiles. Maybe with a short summary of thier racing experience and a pic of the car along with hobbies and crew and spouse info. I know it would take a cooperation with the drviers and teams but If I was in ROMCO I would do everything I could to get my sponsors out there no matter the medium. Also a series history, would be cool along with a total race vicitorys list like the ASA site has. The last thing I would like to see would maybe have a story about the series or weekly drivers news update.

Kris I don't want you to think that I dislike the website now. From A driver's and team perspective it has a lot of info for them. Most of the complants that I hear about the page are that it not very fan freindly.

That's just my two cents worth.

For ROMCO to get respect in the late model community our drivers will have to be competative more often in races like the Snow Ball and Southern All Star events. Chris took a major step toward that at the Snow Ball last year. As much as people like to brag about this Romco driver or that Romco driver Chris is by far the best driving talent in Romco. With that being said, many of the other top drivers are stepping up and closing that gap. We plan to travel this year to some Southern All Star events to gain some experience racing with differant teams.

WildRacer,

No offense taken.

Sorry to be offtopic.

I just don't get much input for the web site. Pat Mayberry used to contribute fan-type articles when he volunteered to do series PR a couple of years ago. I will accept good articles from anybody willing to send them.

I plan on racing at CC on April 19th, I will try to get some driver/car combination photos for the site then. I probably can get Jim Vasaldua to help out in that area too.

The total race victory should be easy - I need to find that 1999 ROMCO results topic that was discusssed on this board previously.

• 2 weeks later...

Kris,

I just checked out the ROMCO website and was impressed by the update. The green color catches the eyes and with J.M.'s recap it looked good. One other thing that I thought would be cool would be to put a picture of the Racer's first racecar in the driver's bio section if one is added. I don't know of any series that has that on a website.

Anyways keep up the good work! I don't know if you get the At-A-Boy award for your hard work on the ROMCO site. :D

Archived