Jerry Mann (1970-1973)

larrypfitz

New guy here -- hope I'm doing this right. I'm trying to find information about a Houston area driver named Jerry Mann who drove a Steve Stapp Chevy sprinter that I now own from 1970 to 1973. Jerry bought the car from George Snider in late 1969, raced locally in the Houston area 1970-1972, and then raced USAC in 1973 as the red #77 'Mann Sprinter (photo attached). He sold the car back to Steve Stapp in late 1973. Jerry's ownership is the "big hole" in the history of my car -- any help would be very much appreciated. Larry larrypfitz@gmail.com

post-3-1275918624.jpg

Larry,

One of the Sprinters that Jerry Mann drove at Meyer Speedway was an Orange #12.

It went end over end and laid a trail of Blue Flame all over the track after mixing wheels with Larry Schild on the back stretch. The fuel cell ruptured during impact.

Jerry was shaken but not seriously injured after about three cart wheels.

Larry was driving the then vacant seat of the #2 winged modified that was formally driven by Bill White.

It took the right front wheel completely off of Larry's modified and sent him through the infield.

I don't think the modified sprinter is the same one shown in your photo however it was the same time frame you are referring to.

If I can recall correctly, it was about 1970-71 that the accident occurred.

That Sprinter appeared to have a more sleek look and the nose piece if I recall was more rounded rather then blunt as shown in the photo above. It was a good looking Sprinter and a "Blue" number 12 and was one of the best looking cars on the track!

Maybe someone else can add to the story of Jerry Mann and the Orange Sprinter Modified.

Hope this helps

The orange Sprinter that flipped at Meyer, I though was a car that Jerrygot from A.J. Foyt, that car used to be garaged at the "Enco" station at Hillcroft and Richmond. Check with Denny Burton also as he may have first hand knowledge of your car or at least put you in touch with someone who does.

My thanks to all who have jumped in here. I've connected with Ronnie Burke and hope to track down Denny Burton. Info on Meyer Speedway has helped. As they say, one photo is worth a thousand words -- let me know if you've got a 1970-1972 "Jerry photo" collecting dust in your garage. I've attached a photo of Jerry at Eldora in April, 1973 -- not one of his best days. Still trying to find Jerry, assuming he's still alive. Thanks again. larrypfitz@gmail.com

• 6 months later...
New guy here -- hope I'm doing this right. I'm trying to find information about a Houston area driver named Jerry Mann who drove a Steve Stapp Chevy sprinter that I now own from 1970 to 1973. Jerry bought the car from George Snider in late 1969, raced locally in the Houston area 1970-1972, and then raced USAC in 1973 as the red #77 'Mann Sprinter (photo attached). He sold the car back to Steve Stapp in late 1973. Jerry's ownership is the "big hole" in the history of my car -- any help would be very much appreciated. Larry larrypfitz@gmail.com

post-3-1275918624.jpg

Welcome aboard the Zone - tommyo here. I previously posted some pictures of Jerry from 1971 or 1972 in the Texas Racing History section, subsection Jerry Mann Sprintcar Winged Supermodified, or something like that. Maybe these well help!

• 3 weeks later...

post-3-1275918624.jpg

Welcome aboard the Zone - tommyo here. I previously posted some pictures of Jerry from 1971 or 1972 in the Texas Racing History section, subsection Jerry Mann Sprintcar Winged Supermodified, or something like that. Maybe these well help!

Hi Tommyo! Thanks for taking the time to respond to my note. Those photos on the Texas Racing History thread are EXACTLY what I'm looking for. You mention a few other photos you may have of Jerry meeting the wall between turns 1 and 2. Any chance you could post those, too? If you have any of these "Jerry photos" in 8x10 hard copy, I'd love to buy copies from you. Thanks again. Larry (larrypfitz@gmail.com).

Archived