VanderBeek to debut Victory Junction theme at Oskaloosa

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Keeping the Dream Alive: VanderBeek to debut Victory Junction theme at Oskaloosa

OSKALOOSA, Iowa (May 18) – Zack VanderBeek will begin a quest for “Victory” when he debuts a new look for his machine this Memorial Day Weekend.

The first of five straight nights of action will find the mud-slinging Modifieds of the USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Tour at the Southern Iowa Speedway in Oskaloosa, Iowa, on Wednesday, May 26, while VanderBeek will launch a five-day campaign dedicated to raising funds for Victory Junction and Keeping the Dream Alive.

Victory Junction began with a dream. The dreamer was Adam Petty. Tragically, Adam lost his life in a NASCAR Nationwide Series practice session ten years ago on May 12 … but he didn’t lose his dream. Today, Adam’s dream lives on in the hearts of the children that attend Victory Junction and in the hearts of those that make it possible by helping raise the funding needed to provide these special children with a once-in-a-lifetime camping experience.

Victory Junction has enriched the lives of more than 11,000 children and families since opening in 2004. The camp, located in Randleman, N.C., is built on 84 acres donated by Richard and Lynda Petty. A new Kansas facility will be housed on approximately 71 acres with the construction process for the Midwest camp expected to begin this year.

Spearheading the “Victory Tour” efforts for VanderBeek is 31-year-old Chris Brown of Minneapolis, Minn.

“All my life I have followed Modified racing in Southern Minnesota and Northern Iowa,” said Brown. “Losing my girlfriend, Jolene, to breast cancer in early 2008 led me to realize a dream of putting a pink Modified on the track.”

What started as an idea to raise money for the 2009 Susan G. Komen 3 Day for the Cure wound up with Mark Noble driving a pink #74 USMTS Modified at several USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Tour events during the 2009 season. Through the sale of T-shirts and dozens of donated items, the project raised both awareness and much-needed funds for breast cancer research.

“I love Modified racing, the tracks, drivers, fans and what it has meant to my family over the last 31 years,” Brown added. “I will be around these cars for the rest of my life and can only hope the things I accomplish become extremely contagious and inspire others to get involved.”

Race fans can stop by the Casey’s General store in Oskaloosa on Wednesday, May 26, from 12:00 to 2:00 to help celebrate the kickoff to the Keeping the Dream Alive Tour with VanderBeek and the Victory Junction USMTS modified. Come get your Victory Junction T-shirt and pick up your $2-off coupon for the 9th Annual Spring Classic later that night at the Mahaska County Half-Mile Monster.

The Southern Iowa Speedway event will be the first of five Keeping the Dream Alive Tour stops during the Memorial Day Weekend. On Thursday, May 27, the series moves north to the Highway 3 Raceway in Allison, Iowa, prior to three straight nights in the Land of 10,000 Lakes. Action moves to the Chateau Raceway in Lansing, Minn., on Friday, then on to the Deer Creek Speedway in Spring Valley, Minn., on Saturday before wrapping up the swing on Sunday at the Dodge County Speedway in Kasson, Minn.

At least five more dates for the Keeping the Dream Alive Tour will be announced in the near future. Just like last year, Brown will be accepting donated items, various collectibles and other bits and pieces for an eBay auction later this summer.

BOWLING FOR VICTORY

Come join us on Saturday, May 29, and knock some pins around for a great cause. The Keeping the Dream Alive Tour is hosting a charity bowling tournament benefiting Victory Junction beginning 11 a.m. at Strikers Corner in Stewartville, Minn. Lunch and drink specials, a raffle and silent auction items are among the fun activities on tap.

We are looking for teams of four people, but will accommodate for more or less if needed. Cost is $20 per person or $80 per team of four people. All profits from the entry fee go to Victory Junction. We'll have some prizes for the top-placing teams and afterward we hope you'll follow us to the Deer Creek Speedway after for some live music and the USMTS show to see the Victory Junction car in action!

To enter yourself and/or your team, call Chris Brown at 763-226-0725 or email chdobr05@yahoo.com.

ABOUT VICTORY JUNCTION

The mission of Victory Junction located in Randleman, N.C., is to enrich the lives of children with chronic medical conditions or serious illnesses by providing life-changing camping experiences that are exciting, fun and empowering, in a safe and medically-sound environment. The program offers a week of exhilarating, challenging and nurturing fun under comprehensive, but unobtrusive, 24-hour medical supervision. Activities include arts and crafts, woodshop, an adventure course, archery, swimming, boating, fishing, horseback riding, music and theater and a special NASCAR-themed program area complete with race cars, racing simulators, and racing gear. Each summer session offers up to 128 camper spots, and our fall and spring family weekends offer up to 32 families a chance to experience camp together. Check out www.victoryjunction.org to learn more.

ABOUT CASEY’S GENERAL STORES

Casey’s General Stores owns and operates more than 1,450 convenience stores in nine Midwestern states: Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Casey’s General Stores supplies quality self-service gasoline, made-from-scratch pizza and donuts, sandwiches, hot and cold beverages, grocery items and a whole lot more – primarily in smaller communities with populations of less than 5,000. For more information or to find the Casey’s location nearest you, check out www.caseys.com online.

ABOUT STRIKERS CORNER

Strikers Corner features ten Brunswick bowling lanes with optional bumpers. Strikers Restaurant is open for dining Friday and Saturday evenings, and is available for wedding parties, family gatherings, company dinners and more. From bowling leagues and birthday parties to corporate events and fund raisers, Strikers Corner’s attentive and friendly staff makes it all happen. Strikers Corner is located at 101 10th St. NW in Stewartville, Minn. For more information, call 507-533-8330 or visit www.strikerscorner.com online.

To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also follow the USMTS on Facebook, MySpace and Twitter.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Archived