On another note

ChuckLicata

Did everyone see yesterday's story about Pat Tillman??

Here's a guy who had a 3-year, 3.6 million dollar offer on the table at the prime of his NFL career back in 2002...

yet, he turned it ALL down (and remember, he'd just gotten married a couple months earlier) to join his brother as a member of the Army Rangers..Tillman died on Thursday in action in Kabul...

So, when I hear about Eli Manning, and the fact his father is "whining" that he doesn't want the San Diego Chargers to pick Eli in today's NFL draft...Pat Tillman's story makes the Mannings look like a bunch of morons...It makes them look like spoiled brats, especially considering what Tillman sacrificed...

God Bless Pat Tillman and all who are serving us in the war...

I hope Eli Manning gets what he deserves. I wish that all the NFL teams would pass on him in the draft and he had to go as a 'walk on' for league minimum. If you are a top draft pick, your always going to go to the worse teams. That is what makes me sick about the NFL; that they continue to pay these outrageous salaries to these rookies before they have ever proven themselves. What kind of way is that to run a business. Let them earn their salary on performance in their job. The Manning's need to stop their whining and realize they are lucky to even have this opportunity.

Greg

PAT TILLMAN-SHOWS THE INTEGRITY THAT MOST AMERICANS STILL POSSESS..HE NEVER ASKED FOR RECOGNIZTION OF WHAT HE WAS DOING..THAT'S WHAT MAKES A TRUE HEROE ,SOMEONE EVERYONE SHOULD LOOK UP TO....

too bad about Manning, he got what he wanted. He sure looked thrilled when he had to put his paws on that Chargers jersey. Thats ok, he has painted a big target on himself with all of this nonsense.......his day is coming.

Pat Tillman, class act, a true American hero, makes you stop and be thankful for everything we have and wonder why other countries just don't get it ..

Greg-

You're making the same mistake Ricky Williams did when he signed a contract with the New Orleans Saints that included "performance incentives" that would have increased his salary.

Football players don't get paid for performance, they get paid for performing, and for putting people in the grandstand and in front of their TV sets. What they do on the field is only a small part of it.

Manning will put folks in the stands. So did Earl Campbell when he signed with the Houston Oilers; in fact, he sold so many more season tickets than they had sold previously and added so many radio stations to the team network that he probably covered his salary for the first season before the first game was played.

In a sense, racing drivers get paid the same way: Michael Waltrip isn't getting big bucks from NAPA and Aaron's for all his race wins. He gets the big bucks for his personality. Most drivers do have to win some races, but that's not why they get the big money, or even how they get to be well known.

Manning may have a lot of reasons for not wanting to play in San Diego. The story was that former Texas hero Jim Bertelsen didn't want to play in cold weather (even though he was from Wisconsin or someplace originally), and said he wouldn't sign with a northern team, so he was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams and played there. Anyway, Manning's reasons are his own, and it was the Chargers who decided to release a statement, not Manning.

As for Pat Tillman, he was, by all accounts, a heck of a guy. And he did give up a bit more than the average guy to go into the Army, and chose to be an Army Ranger as well. But that may have been what he wanted to do most, in the end, just as what most of us want to do is race.

The west coast gang (who were more familiar with him and his story, as he played for the Arizona Cardinals) are planning to put his #40 under an American flag on their cars; not just for him, but for him as a symbol for all the guys and girls who've given up a lot, some even their lives.

Support the war, don't support the war; but honor the troops.

TQJ3,

I have often thought that you were a voice of reason in many threads. But that reply you made for Greg was probably one of the most asinine and weakest arguments of support that I have ever read on any subject. John Elway, by all accounts was a great guy. But the reason I, along with most of America could never get behind him was that he pulled the same stunt that Eli did when he said that he would not play for Baltimore. The reason that this pisses people off is two-fold. Most people don't really have a problem following rules. They just want to know what they are. When someone comes in that thinks they are above the rules, especially when they've done nothing to prove themselves, it pisses people off. I want people to see the difference in these two young men. The point of this entire thread was not whether Eli made the right decision for Eli. It was comparing the character of these two young men. The character of Pat Tillman, I hope will go down in history. The character of Eli Manning in comparison is, ... well he has none. I also feel that Archie is just as big a villain in this scenario as Eli. Makes you realize that Peyton must have gotten his character from mom.

Yea I agree. This thread was about Pat Tilman but for some reason on this website people always turn the darnest things into arguments. Why not just honor the guy who died and leave Eli out. Peyton is a hell of a football player and a great guy I think. I love the Colts so maybe it doesnt run in the family. But thats beside the point honor a true american hero and take your arguments to another thread.

You are all right. I did not intend to be part of an argument but to honor Pat Tillman. I just realized that I, like many others, take what we have for granted. We all want something more; instead of realizing how fortunate we are and be thankful for that. Pat Tillman put everything in his life aside to do good for others. He is a true Hero and I honor him for that.

Greg

First TQJ3-I apologize for what amounted to bashing. I came on stronger than I Intended. :)

Second- While everyone is praying for the Tillman family, go ahead and say one for the Mannings. That they might become more humble and learn to recognize how blessed they have really been.

I've already said too much on this topic, I'm done. :rolleyes:

Archived