Static

RBSF

Some of you will will appreciate this, some of you will take some steps, some of you will just wish I'd shut up and go away.....

Static electricity. May be time to address this subject just a bit! I have worked in oil and gas for 32 years, and have some experience with fuel volality, vapor pressure, and explosive potential. I've seen and fought fires caused by lightning and static electricity in and around fuels, hydrocarbon and otherwise. I'd like to offer some SUGGESTIONS, and open this topic up for some discussion.

Fueling: Static is caused, basically, by molecular friction within non-conductive materials. When you transfer fuels from one container to another an electrical potential is created, when that potential is enough, it will travel between any conductors to seek ground. Plastics are non-conductive, as are the fuels they can contain, ANY fuels. Diesel isn't typically an issue because of its high flash point, but gasoline, alchohol, propane, butane, etc., have an extremely LOW flash point when in vapor form, and any spark at all will ignite the VAPORS. So, eliminate the POTENTIAL with grounding. The can needs to be in contact with the funnel that needs to be in contact with the tank(cell). Use a metal funnel. Make a jumper cable with large alligator-type clips and attach one end to the can and one to the funnel, eliminating potential. Maybe make a three-legged one and include the filler assembly in the circuit.

I could go on and on with ways to eliminate static potential, but most people won't read long posts, so I'll end here.

Buy a couple good fire extinguishers, and keep one in the shop, and one on the trailer. Now let me hear YOU

jeri bottles (jegs sells em) are safe - just get the bottle in contact with the fill neck.

During fueling you should always ground the car - unless you are using a quick can with external coupler - you become the ground.

If your filler is in the trunk, the easiest way to ground is to place a strap of conductive material in the trunk - when filling throw it over the back so it hits the ground - when done throw it back in the trunk (securely) and close the deck.

Archived