hello

jwmbishop

Hey folks - new here today and just got cut loose to post! Hope ya'll are as friendly as most Texas have proven to be towarsd this SoCal transplant.

Little about me .. I am from San Diego area, been around racing all my life. My career in the auto fields (and related performance industry) was slightly cut short by an injured back and a much more lucrative career option.

Now that my business is on track and doing well it's time to do for me... after 15 years away from racing as a participant I am itching to get back in and found your little piece of the world here!

Hope we can help each other!

john

John,

Let me be the first to welcome you to Texas racing and Thunderhill Raceway. We're a 3/8-mile, D-shaped asphalt oval located in Kyle, TX. At Thunderhill Raceway, we're one

big racing family! We start our 2010 racing season on March 20. Feel free to contact me at debbie@thunderhillraceway.com for more information.

And, yes, we are very friendly here in Texas!

Debbie Williams

Thunderhill Raceway Media & Public Relations Director

Welcome! What kind of racing are you looking to get into?

well racin without turns is kind of a drag. so theres a starting point. lol

and since dirt is for potato plantin we have narrowed it down even more.

it looks like it'll be tough to find it close to Corsicana. Man this state is just huge.

Thanks for the welcome all. I'm already starting to feel at home here!

THR difinately caught my attention - the track I grew up at (Cajon Speedway) was a 3/8 mile 8-12 degree paved. turns 1 and 2 were radiused like a 1/4 miler while 3-4 were radiused like a 1/2. The egg shape was quite fun to setup for. Some of liked to set up for 1-2 and others liked 3-4 which made for some great multi passing races! My most cherished possion is a chunk of concrete from turn 3 - found in the car of one of my late friends when his wife sold it.

The problem is that I want involvement not just at the track but weekday work as well. And I am busier than a three peckered goat during tax season (the typical prep time for race cars). Getting 1-5 hours away from the office is not that hard - but when that is only the drive time - its impossible. Filing ends April 15 but as an owner my work load lasts till mid may - cleanup, bonus computations etc. So teams working from down that area are sort of out and I have not found a way to find a team that pulls from up here without goin to the track and meeting folks...

I am going to try to make opening night. How hard is it to get a pit pass without being a team member? Most tracks require you to sign in with a team for conduct accountability.

John

Welcome...only a few of us have loose screws...the rest are friendly.

sir i hope your only talking aboult your self ............welcome to speedzone .welcome to texas .... john .....

Don't knock dirt track racing. There are a lot of variables that make it a blast.

Heart O' Texas Speedway in Waco opens tonight at 8. That's a realtively close drive for you. No doubt opening night will be wild and crazy!

Not so much knockin - been there done it and took three days to wash the grit outta my body!

Don Schmidt of Finishline Engineering built an open comp NDRA car for the West Coast Series (all 1/2 milers) in 87 - Rick Bogart drove and we won 6 of 8 events with 2 dnf. Wish I knew what all tricks he used but alas I was just the lowly second wrench. But that Lunati 504 was the most noticeable on track. It didn't scream - more like a mild hum - that you (and everyone in the place) felt in the soles of your shoes. Fun but dirty.

Actually I was driving from Waco to Italy and noticed the track on Tuesday. That prompted me to do some searching and well ... here I landed! Tonites out though. I have to work til 9 tonite and be back in by 8 tommorow morning. sux being me this time of year.

The only real issue I have with dirt is traction. I am an engine builder\tuner first and above all - not getting that traction down to the ground defeats my purpose more on dirt than on asphalt. And hearing the limiters popping makes my skin crawl! Too many dirt driver lack the fine art of throttle modulation and rely on engine harming electronic limits instead (the un burned fuel from the cancelled sparks cleans the oil off the rings for ya - not pretty in a maint program).

John,

My son pulls from Grand Saline, TX to Houston Motorsports Park (HMP). Takes about 4 1/2 hrs and he goes thru Corsicana which is about 1 hr closer and from Corsicana it's interstate all the way. You might want to look at HMP.

BTW, welcome to Texas.

Rusty

Archived