Oil with zinc?

BradNaylor

Most any good auto supply or performance shop sells bottles of zinc additive.

It is also available from Jegs, Summit, etc.

Good Engine builders usually carry "Hot Rod Oil" that has the zinc in it.

Best not to mix your own - unless of course you ARE a molecular scientist!

Joe Gibbs has a good BR-30 high zinc for break in. If you are a roller engine no need for high zinc after the BR - just follow whatever your engine builder reccomends (he IS the one who has to stand behind it after all).

Flat tappet guys - use high zinc the entire life of the engine!!!! Its the rollers (and OBD II) hitting the stock assembly lines that allowed the fed EPA mandates to not destroy NEW cars. Old metal is expected to fuel the Obama cash for clunkers I recon.

I have a 383 flat tappet in my tow veh. Following the JG plan has done it well. And although it is pricier JG HotRod 10-30 has withstood everything this daily driver\weekend workhorse has thrown it (some savings on filters as the plan allows)! Haven't done a chem anal - but tore it down for thinner headgaskets after 15k and saw the least amount of breakin wear on the cam I have ever seen! Been a builder for many years.

I'm sure their are others out there - compare and choose.

We are the engine builder.. so we have to stand behind it lol. We have always ran Castrol 20w50 with all of our solid cam stuff for many years no problems. We are more worried about breaking in the cam properly. I heard you can break them in with Rotella, or a good diesel oil, but havent heard of any off the shelf oils having zddp. We change oil every race, so it's not cost effective to go royal purple or joe gibbs at this time.

We are the engine builder.. so we have to stand behind it lol. We have always ran Castrol 20w50 with all of our solid cam stuff for many years no problems. We are more worried about breaking in the cam properly. I heard you can break them in with Rotella, or a good diesel oil, but havent heard of any off the shelf oils having zddp. We change oil every race, so it's not cost effective to go royal purple or joe gibbs at this time.

There is absolutely no reason to change your oil every race if you use good filtration and good oil. Switch to a good oil, extend your oil change intervals, and your motor will be happier in the long run.

See the reason we change oil every race is because we run methanol... that forms condensation, and since we may run once a month, we just change the oil before we go race, and go at it. I am not real big on running multiple nights on the oil when I am running methanol, and since there may be a month or so in between our races.

See the reason we change oil every race is because we run methanol... that forms condensation, and since we may run once a month, we just change the oil before we go race, and go at it. I am not real big on running multiple nights on the oil when I am running methanol, and since there may be a month or so in between our races.

actually rotella has two innert ingredients in their oil that is formulated especially for high compression and extreme temps but they dont reccomend it in gasoline motors due to breakdown.however,they will tell you to change it sooner than under NORMAL CONDITIONS .so its all what you feel like tryin.i myself ran a autoparts label 20/50w all year and had 8 races on the motor and never missed a lick.JMO ;)BYGOLLY

Off the shelf oil for breakin purposes years ago was not a bad option at all. Many brands had sink in them then but no longer due today. I think Valvaline might be the only off the shelf performance oil that might have alittle zink in it but even so its no enough for me to feel comfortable. Our engine builder put us onto Joe Gibbs as well and its been one of our best decisions we have made. Plus like others have said we no longer change our oil every race and thats a big big plus!

LOL - I hated comebacks too.

If youre dry sump you can save $$ and get better engine life by not changing every race (even whiskey driskers). Oil is engineered for a life span and has it's own "breakin" - what you gain at the end of its life you give up at the beginning. And vice versa. So a constant barrage of "unaged" oil can be almost as bad as a constant barrage of expended oil. Take for example detergent. A fresh dose of detergent every week keeps the zinc buildup you are shooting for away.

wet sump/alchy - I always changed every race - but that was back in the 80's and Im admittedly the fan of the carnivore. The engineers have done a lot in the past few years. I would follow their lead in my own engine. I tend to trust men in white lab coats.

Rotella is one of the best oils you can buy for break in - almost. Just don't confuse high detergent with high zinc - can't have both as they work against each other if not in the right ratio. The common off the shelf HD30 is not the good stuff. Get their BR.

Archived