ROMCO Forum on 51

HORSEPOWER

There is ROMCO message forum on Speed 51.com.

http://pub219.ezboard.com/bspeed51shorttra...ckmessageboards

I don't think ROMCO's pay out is that bad, but for a race at Texas it should be higher. What was the sponsor's involvement? Did they provide safety equipment for the race or help pay for being able to hold the race there? Just curious!

It's not yet a very big draw. How many can CC hold, a thousand, fifteen hundred? Does ROMCO ever sell out any of the short tracks? All it would take is about 4,000 people, which is not a very big crowd.

Yes, ROMCO has a loyal following, it just isn't a very large following. I think it's a good series, but that doesn't matter as long as only a relative few people know about it.

ROMCO, and the ARTS trucks and TSRS should all be huge draws; and we should probably include TAMS in there somewhere. But you get to be a huge draw by promoting outside of your existing fan base. Owen apparently is doing some advertising of TSRS and ROMCO and the rest at CC this season, and that's great. The crowds should be a lot better. But it's hard to advertise something that hasn't been promoted; advertising is the track's job, promotion of a series is the series' job, and promotion of drivers is the racing team and sponsors' job.

Simply put, Colt James and Bradley Riethmeyer and Bradon Bendele may be good hot shot drivers; but relatively few people know who they are. Change that, and you fill the stands.

TQ, My Bendele story made a national publication(Late Model Racer Magazine) Plus I send all my ROMCO stuff to several places including Late Model Digest. Over the NA$CAR weekend I also ran into a rep from National Speed Sport News who was interested in my ROMCO, and other stories. So the word is getting out of Texas, some. I try! Also look at the increased number of out of state drivers in the series this year. True it may not be at ASA status level, but it's getting out alot farther than it has.

Reb-

I agree with everything you said, but none of it will put new fans in the stands. Yes, both ROMCO drivers and the series are getting much better known within the sport, though I'd argue that that began with the two Big Shots and not with anything ROMCO was doing.

It's also true that few Texas drivers in recent years have won outside of Texas. (Casey Smith, Bubba Naumann and Tavo Hellmund are the only three who come to mind.)

The influx of new drivers may have a lot to do with the fact that it is a relatively inexpensive and relatively easy way to get the chance to run in front of a large crowd at Texas Motor Speedway and run on a real superspeedway, albeit with a restrictor plate motor.

I still say the ROMCO series (along with ARTS and TSRS and TAMS) needs to be promoted beyond the fans who already know about the series, and that's what I try to do.

If NASCAR had done what ROMCO and the rest are doing, or not doing, they would still have a few hundred thousand fans instead of a "guesstimated" 75 million.

Archived