Airplane Crash in Austin

lenny66

The man had a plan to be heard and he carried it out. By this time next week, people all over the world will have read his blog and agree or disagree with its contents.

I am not in any way condoning what this guy did. Flying a plane into a building filled with innocent people is just plain wrong whether it's an Islamic fanatic or a disgruntled conservative. And setting fire to his own home and family just goes to show just how distraught the man had become. But some of the issues he brings up in that blog are similar to issues that many conservatives bring up.

As Chase clearly points out, there will be those who use this unfortunate incident to get on a soap box and rant and rail against the government. And, likewise, there will be those who will use this incident to "prove" that conservative Americans are nut cases. Hopefully those folks with axes to grind either way will sit down and shut up quickly.

What really got to me today was the phone interview on Fox News with the guy who saved those five people trapped in the burning building. Maybe I was already all wound up watching the news unfold, but I gotta admit the tears flowed just listening to him describe what he did - just as if it were just another thing he just happened to do today. This young man is the one we need to honor in this tragedy. I heard he got interviewed in front of the cameras later, but the phone interview was the real deal IMHO.

Nick

If it's the same Shane Hill, he drove the #34 TPS Ford Mustang in 2003 and 2004. I think those were the only years he raced with TPS.

The Statesman reported earlier that Hill, 38, was taken to Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio "with second-degree burns over 20 percent to 25 percent of his body, mostly on his back." While burn injuries are slow to heal, the Statesman reported that doctors expect him to recover fully.

Nick

The Texas Pro Sedans race records do list a driver by the name of Shane Hill of Austin during the 2003 and 2004 seasons. He mainly participated in TPS races at Thunderhill Raceway in his #34 Ford Mustang. He finished the 2003 season in 34th place in points.

His car was sold to "Ozzie" Osburn" who re-numbered the car #22. Perhaps Ozzie can recall and post here whether the driver by the name of Shane Hill of Austin is the same man worked at the IRS Austin when Ozzie was transacting the sale of the Mustang.

It is unknown whether former TPS driver Shane Hill is the same person currently being treated for burn injuries at the Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio. BAMC has a policy of not releasing patient condition reports to non-family members.

If we receive additional factual information, we will post it here.

Thank you,

Neil Upchurch

Texas Pro Sedans

Administrative Director

210/655-3222 office & FAX

neilupchurch@sbcglobal.net

After digging a bit further, it is indeed the Shane Hill who used to race with TPS back in 2003-2004.

He was a bow hunter and the texasbowhunter.com site they had this post along with Shane's pic.

Good Friend, Shane Hill is in the Army Brook Burn unit in SA. He is doing ok, organs are all good, but has bad burns to his shoulder, Lower Back Face and Hand. Sisters says his face appears to be minor 2nd degree, but the rest are bad. Particularly the hand. Would love for y'all to send some prayers of healing up for him. He is married and has a young boy and girl. He was just transferred to that building last month. He was on the 1st floor directly under the plane crash on the second floor. He said he heard a loud Pop, and then felt heat. He realized he was on fire. Crazy stuff for sure..

post-3-1266615298.jpg

I recognize Shane from the picture.

Nick

With the current state of things terrorist wise I think that maybe tighter security on small airplanes like this are in order. I have friends that fly and it is a subject of pain in the ass so to speak where they are concerned. I just dont see any way around it in the future.

My prayers are out to the families of all those involved or affected by this idiots personal crusade, with some emphasis on the fellow racer Shane Hill. We all hear the words "it is a small world" and this is proof of that. God Bless this man and his family and all of those involved

Security as far as light aircraft has been getting tighter on a yearly, and sometimes monthly basis since we all know when. The problem with a situation like this is that all the rules and regulations in the world wouldn't have changed the outcome.

The reason for that is that you can't regulate stupidity, what he did was incredibly stupid and reckless. Things like laws,rules, socially acceptable standards, and the like have very little, sometimes no influence in the mind of a person determined to carry out a criminal act.

Oc course there will be changes made, with this case as well as other situations cited as the reason these changes are being made. People working in the Aviation Industry, and those who don't work in the industry, but are involved in it will learn the changes, become officially compliant or not be allowed to legally participate in the industry, that's the way it works. When you think about it every occupation, or activity has rules, regulations, and compliance issues to be aware of, comply with, and periodic changes that a person needs to keep up with in order to continue participating.

In case any of you were wondering there are already FAA regulations that are in force that if he'd followed he wouldn't have done this... one is a current and valid medical certificate ( part of the valid part is mentally and physically fit to fly ) another is minimum altitudes over densly populated areas ( except for takeoff and landing ), and yet another is a regulation against " careless and reckless operation of an aircraft. Then there are criminal laws ( state and federal ) that he broke.

So I'll say it again, what he did was stupid....and there's no way to regulate that.

:blink:

More things like this are going to happen when people get tired of taking up the rear from the government. Its fight or flight when people feel they get backed into a corner and when they have nothing to loose this is what happens. We forget why the revolution started because we got tired of getting taxed to death by the brits....I think....I am not a historty major. Regretably violence is the only thing that is heard or remembered. A pound of flesh is a small price to pay for a person who is committed to a cause.

On San Antonio TV Saturday night it was reported that Shane Hill (former TPS driver) was released from the Brooke Army Medical Center and transported back to Austin for further treatment.

It is unknown how long it will take for Shane to recover from his burns.

In a short written statement, Shane expressed his appreciation to all who helped him and his co-workers at the IRS office and especially the brave first responders and Austin Fire Department personnel.

A personal note ... The pilot of that plane should be called more than "stupid". He should forever be called a murderer.

Neil Upchurch

Texas Pro Sedans

Administrative Director

Amen Neil. No matter what he thought was a justfiable cause, the BIBLE is pretty explicit about "Thou Shalt Not Kill". Besides, his complaint was against the tax legislation and that comes from Congress. The IRS is strictly the enforcement arm of those laws. So once again we see another messenger pay the price because someone did not like the message.

Archived