class, designed as an economical division for the typical Saturday

night racer,” said IMCA Vice President of Operations Brett Root, who

met with ButlerBuilt South Cen tral Region promoters in December. “We

are starting to see more drivers the class was not intended for

competing at higher paying specials. We want drivers who are

dedicated to the division racing against their peers at specials and

weekly events.”

Modified-Stock Car and Southern SportMod-Stock Car/Hobby Stock

license combinations will be permitted in 2011.

Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMod drivers have not been allowed to

race Modifieds, Late Models or Sport Compacts at sanctioned events.

Like their Southern counterparts, they can also pilot Stocks or Hobbies.

“We have no problem with drivers going from a Modified to a Southern

SportMod because of economics, because they enjoy it more or for any

other reason,” Root said. “Those who planned to race both classes

this year can still do so and receive all corresponding points in

each division. This serves as an early notice so drivers can decide

which division they want to compete in next season.”

So Reb,

What are your thoughts on this?

Some of mine:

Guys like Keith White will be limited to only one. If I recall correctly, he came pretty close to both Mod and SportMod championships this year. It would be interesting to see if he can be a double national champion this year, pull it off and be the only man to do it in history.

Kinda puts a dent in the "I.M.C.A.'s only concern is license money" argument. If that were the case, they would accept license fees from anyone in any division, at any time. But on the other hand, it may increase participation in the SportMod class, when proven Mod guys choose to concentrate on the Mods, and guys don't have to race the big dogs.

Kinda curious they do this for Mod/Sport Mod, but not Mod/I-Stock or Hobby Stock. Not sure I can square that. Are some of the guys running Mods and SportMods going to sell the SportMod and get an I-Stock? Still straching my head over this one.

Should be an interesting 2011, as far as who is running what.

Everyone, please stay safe, and I will see you all at TMS, and probably Abilene in Feb.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Were people who raced both classes paying for 2 pit passes at the track?

If Not, it will help the tracks profitibility,

if they were, it could hurt it.

But for the little Guy it may become easier to make the show @ those tracks that typically have more than 24 cars show up each week. With that, they maybe will be racing more often, hence helping the track in the long run.

Net/Net: Good move

Sarge I think Keith is EXACTLY the reason for this rule!!!! The same as rules were enacted after Henry won his championship......I don't think Iowa likes it when a Texan wins/challenges for a championship.

Aaron, they probably only paid one pit pass fee as the driver, but it is not likely that only one pit guy is going to field two cars.......ergo more pit passes collected for crew.

I just think it's stupid that out of the thousands of mod amd sportmod drivers in the region that they are worried about 39 drivers......Actually I think it will HURT tracks with guys normally bringing two cars, now only allowed to bring one and presumably less crew guys.

Reb,

Actually, the more I think about it, I think it may be the "J.P. Dowel" rule. It was J.P that won the SportMod Nationals this year, driving Randy Doyle's car. And the press release said this"

“We are starting to see more drivers the class was not intended for

competing at higher paying specials. We want drivers who are

dedicated to the division racing against their peers at specials and

weekly events.”

Keith White has been a SportMod driver from the start of the class, won what, 4 of 5 National Championships. While I think it is in part a "White" rule, I think J.P's SportMod Nationals win had more to do with it.

What do you think?

Stay safe, see in about a month.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Sarge,

I agree with you 100%, I had make this argument on another site, the rule is because of drivers only running in the big races, I promise you whiteboy was running as long as the track was open. What do they think this is going to do to the i-stocks, you now have a potential for the mod guys that got the taste of running two cars possibly going to mod/i-stock, IF this is what drove the cost of sportmod up it will only do the same for the i-stock, I for one will probably keep both cars and race down south with one and imca with the other.

I think that it's pretty stuiped something else to cut car counts.The other side of that fence that I see is when you pay almost the same amount in a starting class as you do in the mod class people like paul and drivers that are really good but can't afford to run a mod are going to run it, back to not a starting class JMO