HMP 2010 Rules

HMP Race Teams,

Happy New Year! As we speed toward the season opener on February 27th, you will be happy to know HMP has finalized the 2010 rules for all HMP classes and they are available on the HMP website. All modications from the 2009 rules have been highlighted in red text. Below are the direct links to each class:

NASCAR Fiesta Late Models

NASCAR Cricket Modifieds

NASCAR 360 Trucks

Pro Stocks

Ecostocks

At each of the class web pages above, you will be able to click on the rules as well as get your 2010 Registration Form. For any questions regarding the rules, please contact HMP Tech Director, Jack Sandefur at 512-281-5489.

The rules for each class are also attached below:

10ESRULES.pdf

10N360TRULES.pdf

10NCMRULES.pdf

10PSRULES.pdf

10NFLMRULES.pdf

Edited by Houston Motorsports Park

preseason sorting??? Man that sound like what I have to do to my tool box after every season. :lol:

Fine. As you wish it to be, so shall it be done....

(HMP)Gentlemen,

Are you going to be open on any Saturdays prior to your season opener so that I can continue to battle this uncooperative, ungrateful son of a bitch race car?

Thanks

Jay :D

Edited by jracer98

That is what it looks like. It is hard to understand how the rules should be different here than most other tracks. This was probably a politically motivated change to make someone happy. It seems like Texas just cant get on the same page as the rest of the world when it comes to crate motors. Do the Mcgunnegil motors make more horsepower at Houston than they do everywhere else? Maybe that is the reason.

Edited by maverick

ASA has outlawed the McGunnegil LM425, so it looks to me like HMP is being magnanomous by letting them run at all. If there's any politics going on, it must be the McGunnegil owners.

I would like to thank HMP for taking the first steps in reducing racer's cost by allowing pump gas and making racer's qualify and race on the same set of tires. Maybe (or maybe not) all the discussing on LSZ had an impact even tho it was aimed at another track.

Maverick,

Sorry about that - I retract that statement. We were told by an ASA official that they were going to outlaw the LM425 for '10, but I went on the ASA website to verify it, and it's still there (politics you know). Either they changed their mind, or our source didn't know what he was talking about.

Who told you that? I thought a crate motor was a spec motor. Here is the definition found "Aftermarket engines are used in many forms of motorsports. Some late model racecar series use "crate motors" which are built by an independent firm. This ensures that drivers have similarly powered racecars."

I remember one guy built a 4 cyl car to the tee of the rules. Because he worked on his car and made it fast, they added weight to him. He then retired from racing, one year into it. If you dont want the rules changed, dont run up front.

pacecar, you probably know the only difference is quality.

Edited by maverick

Lots of engine rebuilders call their motors "crate motors". A crate motor as defined in racing, is a motor built by the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) and in the case of the ASA and Crate Late series, and other series like them, come from the factory sealed, as is the case with the 602, 604 and Blue Oval engines. So far so good, but this is where it gets sticky. The various series have licensed certain rebuilders to "freshen" these sealed motors and then replace the seals as long as they only use OEM parts and stick by a very rigid set of guidelines as to what they can and can't do. For instance, they can replace a damaged or worn piston, but they cannot replace it with anything over a standard bore. They can replace cranks or rods, but with nothing but stock OEM parts. In other words, if you broke a ring and scored a cylinder wall, your motor is junk.

Here's where the difference in rebuilders comes in. Let's say I buy a brand new 604, but instead of putting it in the car, I send it to a rebuilder. He disassembles the new motor, line hones the block, plate hones the cylinders, trues and polishes the crank, balances the rotating assembly, clearances and regrinds all the valves - all of which are legal - then reassembles and reseals the motor. I now have a "freshened" crate motor that makes about 25 more hp than the new factory crate.

But, let's say I have lots of money and send my new OEM crate to McGunnegil (by the way, McG is not the only one that does this). They do everything that I've listed above, plus, let's say McG buys 50 cranks and 50 sets of rods and pistons from the OEM. They go thru a weigh everything. A GM OEM crank can vary any where from 47lbs to 52lbs (maybe more) and rods and pistons vary too. I select the lightest, straightest, best of everything and then reassemble and reseal. I haven't done anything illegal, but now my engine can make as much as 440+hp. Plus, instead of a $5200 crate motor, I now have a $10,000 crate motor.These are stilled sealed crate motors.

A spec motor is a motor that is built with a combination of OEM and aftermarket parts to the exact specs of a sanction or series. In most cases they are not sealed and the allowed list of parts is very specific down to the exact part #.

That's why ASA and other series are struggling with holding the lid on costs of what they all thought was going to be the savior of racing. Like everything in life, he who has the bucks, has the advantage.

I don't blame HMP for trying to discourage racers from showing up with $10,000 crates. If the object is to hold the cost down and even the playing field, then crates didn't do it.

Edited by hray

Cory

In a perfect world the crates would save lots of money and a weight break would work but we all know the racing business isnt in a perfect world. Thats why people like you need to depend on shinny wheels and flames. :lol:

Papa, Im all about the inside track. But as much as looks impress, shiny wheels and flames wont level this playing field. And I agree this is not a perfect world. Sometimes rules are put in place to try to make it perfect and that ends up messing it up even more. But as ALL of us know, thats racin, its just how it is.

But im working on the flames. I did set the paint on fire while using the torch, does that count?

Cory

In a perfect world the crates would save lots of money and a weight break would work but we all know the racing business isnt in a perfect world. Thats why people like you need to depend on shinny wheels and flames. :lol:

Papa, Im all about the inside track. But as much as looks impress, shiny wheels and flames wont level this playing field. And I agree this is not a perfect world. Sometimes rules are put in place to try to make it perfect and that ends up messing it up even more. But as ALL of us know, thats racin, its just how it is.

But im working on the flames. I did set the paint on fire while using the torch, does that count?

SHINY WHEELS AND FLAMES????!!!!! That's what WE are trying this year!!!! LOL!!!

I agree with you 99% Cory. The other 1% is Karma and Karma likes shinny wheels and Flames. Karma likes to look good. Karma likes to have a little attitude. And by the way...Im not your only fan. You have a LOT. Now go kick some A$$ this year.

Hray,

In Reality, HMP is encouraging you to run a $10,000 motor. With the current rules, they allow the 604's the updated rockers AND a tapered spacer. With the tapered spacer, the Chevy's make more HP than the $7,100 Mcgunegill. The 50# penalty may be counterproductive.

Edited by maverick

You do not need to wait and see. The 604 with upgrade with a spacer last year made more than the $7,100 Mcgunegill. Since Mcgunegill does not ask how much money you have when you send a motor to him, you may want to watch the slanderous comments about him. This could damage his reputation.